Might as well talk draft....

Any And All Things T-Wolves Related
Monster

Re: Might as well talk draft....

Post by Monster »

WolvesFan21 wrote:I watched a Rosas interview yesterday on the Jump on ESPN and the thing I took away from that is he really wants to trade down. He said when asked about trading the pick he said mildly emphatically "we are open for business." I don't think he likes any of the top 3. That's my take from reading between the lines.

Trade down, take Halliburton and get some more picks/assets. My hope anyways at this point.

Both Edwards and Ball scare me. When guys don't play defense or play hard it just shows me they simply are not going to put the work in to be a superstar, nor do they really care about winning. If we draft either I hope they prove me wrong.

He also sounded ready to draft a player like...James Wiseman

https://twitter.com/Rachel__Nichols/status/1328830897236418561?s=20
Wolvesfan21

Post by Wolvesfan21 »

monsterpile wrote:
WolvesFan21 wrote:I watched a Rosas interview yesterday on the Jump on ESPN and the thing I took away from that is he really wants to trade down. He said when asked about trading the pick he said mildly emphatically "we are open for business." I don't think he likes any of the top 3. That's my take from reading between the lines.

Trade down, take Halliburton and get some more picks/assets. My hope anyways at this point.

Both Edwards and Ball scare me. When guys don't play defense or play hard it just shows me they simply are not going to put the work in to be a superstar, nor do they really care about winning. If we draft either I hope they prove me wrong.

He did. I might be making a giant leap reading into what he said but that is my guess. It makes sense I suppose to not eliminate anyone and try and get the highest bidder either way too. Wether a team falls in love with any of the top 3, if you really want that player you need to call Rosas.
apollotsg [enjin:6592798]

Post by apollotsg [enjin:6592798] »

Rosas comments and Wiseman no contact thing just seems super incompetent - so much so that everyone on this board agrees - if we all universally agree that it is incompetent - can it really be true then? If it is that blindly bad, there has to be far more to the story right?

I lean the same way as everyone else, there is some serious cause for concern, the only scenario that could plausibly be in play is that a trade deal is in place with another team and has been for a while and we know they are grabbing Wiseman and we have ruled him outright with the top pick based on previous scouting.

Its the only thing I can think of that would cause us to just completely ignore one of the top three talents in the draft - and that alone is the hole in my theory, if he is a top 3 talent and someone wants him that bad, then why dont we want him that bad?
Wolvesfan21

Post by Wolvesfan21 »

apollotsg wrote:Rosas comments and Wiseman no contact thing just seems super incompetent - so much so that everyone on this board agrees - if we all universally agree that it is incompetent - can it really be true then? If it is that blindly bad, there has to be far more to the story right?

I lean the same way as everyone else, there is some serious cause for concern, the only scenario that could plausibly be in play is that a trade deal is in place with another team and has been for a while and we know they are grabbing Wiseman and we have ruled him outright with the top pick based on previous scouting.

Its the only thing I can think of that would cause us to just completely ignore one of the top three talents in the draft - and that alone is the hole in my theory, if he is a top 3 talent and someone wants him that bad, then why dont we want him that bad?

It's possible that Wiseman told Rosas on the first call, don't pick me., I don't want to go there

There are the reports that he has said that exact thing. So that would make sense that what does Rosas do at that point? He's not going to answer your calls anymore? You can't really say, Wiseman doesn't want to come to MN because we are a perennial loser in a crappy climate. lol

I think it is more likely he tried to have talks with him and Wiseman shut it down.
Q12543 [enjin:6621299]

Post by Q12543 [enjin:6621299] »

WolvesFan21 wrote:
monsterpile wrote:

He did. I might be making a giant leap reading into what he said but that is my guess. It makes sense I suppose to not eliminate anyone and try and get the highest bidder either way too. Wether a team falls in love with any of the top 3, if you really want that player you need to call Rosas.

Agreed. Rosas basically did not hesitate in suggesting that they would be willing to play Wiseman with KAT or Ball with Russell, i.e. positional overlap doesn't matter due to the versatility of KAT and DLO. Good to hear. Rachel did a good job just hitting him straight-up with good questions.

(still prepared for disappointment though).
Q12543 [enjin:6621299]

Post by Q12543 [enjin:6621299] »

WildWolf2813 wrote:
AbeVigodaLive wrote:
WildWolf2813 wrote:
Camden0916 wrote:I should be excited for draft night and I'm just not...

Just root for good picks at 17 and 33. They'll mean every bit as much as #1.

Huh?

It's not enough to just nail the first pick. They gotta hit on all 3 picks. This is a draft where some people think the best player will be drafted late. Well that guy better be identified by the Wolves. They can't just draft someone at #1 and then take the rest of the night off patting themselves on the back. Hitting a home run at 17 can almost negate not getting it right at #1

No, we do not need to go three for three in this draft, while I agree they should certainly leave no stone unturned in trying to do so.

You assume that there is a 0% chance guys like Okogie, Culver, Nowell, Vanderbilt, and Reid have little to no upside left to tap. I disagree with that. All sorts of existing high-level players emerge out of left field for a lot of franchises after toiling their first few seasons in the G-league or coming off the bench. For some reason it never has happened to us, but I wouldn't completely rule it out with the names I mentioned.
Monster

Post by Monster »

Q12543 wrote:
WildWolf2813 wrote:
AbeVigodaLive wrote:
WildWolf2813 wrote:
Camden0916 wrote:I should be excited for draft night and I'm just not...

Just root for good picks at 17 and 33. They'll mean every bit as much as #1.

Huh?

It's not enough to just nail the first pick. They gotta hit on all 3 picks. This is a draft where some people think the best player will be drafted late. Well that guy better be identified by the Wolves. They can't just draft someone at #1 and then take the rest of the night off patting themselves on the back. Hitting a home run at 17 can almost negate not getting it right at #1

No, we do not need to go three for three in this draft, while I agree they should certainly leave no stone unturned in trying to do so.

You assume that there is a 0% chance guys like Okogie, Culver, Nowell, Vanderbilt, and Reid have little to no upside left to tap. I disagree with that. All sorts of existing high-level players emerge out of left field for a lot of franchises after toiling their first few seasons in the G-league or coming off the bench. For some reason it never has happened to us, but I wouldn't completely rule it out with the names I mentioned.

Yeah the Grizz completely whiffed on Thabeet, ultimately lost the Love Mayo trade a few different ways and still managed to have a really nice run for a few years and have done enough to have something besides just getting Morant.
Wolvesfan21

Post by Wolvesfan21 »

No chance they hit on all 3 picks. The bottom of the 1st round is like 10% chance in itself of getting a decent starter. If you end up with 1 all star that would be enough or two good role players and even this is asking a bit much. Though overtime you better produce, he's got two drafts now, eventually you got to bring in a top level player. Last years draft is suspect still.
Camden [enjin:6601484]

Post by Camden [enjin:6601484] »

If Gersson Rosas has massive stones and winds up taking James Wiseman first overall with the intent to keep him, then I'll take back all the negativity about him I've spewed the last day or two after hearing that he didn't even get a meeting with Wiseman. I just don't think he'll do it, unfortunately. I do agree that he sounded ready and willing to make that move when he talked about it on The Jump with Rachel Nichols. I would be pleasantly shocked to the absolute fullest.
Hicks123 [enjin:6700838]

Post by Hicks123 [enjin:6700838] »

Yeah, not sure what to make of the Wiseman talk that we haven't reached out. It doesn't make sense on any level. From a Wiseman perspective, he is throwing away like $7MM from potential earnings of #1 pick to #2 pick (even more if GS would pass on him and he makes it to #3). And from the MN side, whether Rosas or anyone else admits talking to him, teams MUST assume there is a chance we take him #1. Heck, more "experts" than not are projecting Ball as our pick, and I honestly just don't believe this is even in Wolves thought process. Certainly could be incorrect here, but I just don't see why there would be interest from Wolves leadership in Ball. Point is, teams can't assume Wiseman slips.

And in the end, a team that wants Wiseman would likely need to jump to #1 to secure him. Let's say the Bulls/GS trade pans out and Bulls trade Carter/#4 for #2. Would that not put Wiseman in play for a team that just traded their starting C? My point would be, Wiseman then becomes a likely option for any team picking #2. So I stand by thought that ANY team that is 100% bought into Wiseman has to jump to #1. That obviously changes as draft unfolds and we make our pick. But at that point, teams are also have limited time to react.