Might as well talk draft....

Any And All Things T-Wolves Related
TheFuture

Re: Might as well talk draft....

Post by TheFuture »

AbeVigodaLive wrote:Yo Cam... can you post your entire #1 - 30 so we can look back at it next year?

Thanks.

We could just have a big board thread, and we all can put our money where our fingers are.
Lipoli390

Post by Lipoli390 »

I was watching an NBA TV draft special earlier today where each of the top draft prospects' college head coaches were interviewed. Of course, all the head coaches praised their players. But it was still interesting to hear the nuances and the different things they stressed. Here are some of the comments (quotes or paraphrased) of each coach on his particular player:

1. Hardaway on Wiseman:
- "I trained him in high school to be a guard...". Really good ball-handler at his position.
- Great athlete
- Agreed with Sam Mitchell that Wiseman is a hybrid of David Robinson and Chris Bosh
- "Very coachable. He'll always do what you need him to do and will never pout."

2. Tom Crean on Edwards
- "Never seen a player at his position as physically strong at his age..."
- Great work ethic; hard worker
- Great teammate; has great empathy for others
- Great enthusiasm
- More advanced physically and skill-wise at his age than either Oladipo or Dwayne Wade
- Biggest issue with his poor shooting was his failure to embrace off-ball shooting.
- Will thrive in NBA with right culture and veteran mentors

3. Steve Prohm on Haliburton
- Great personality; will be instantly liked in the locker room
- Humble but confident
- Length and IQ make up for lack of quickness
- Makes players around him better

4. Andy Enfield on Okongwu
- Great athlete. Great speed and quickness - north-south and laterally. Can guard 1-5
- Very humble and coachable.
- A winner. Enfield repeated this multiple times. Does the little things to help the team
- Plays within himself - very self aware of his strengths and limitations
- Will eventually extend his shooting range, but won't force it

5. Bruce Pearl on Okoro
- A winner. Never lost a game his senior year in high school and lost only one his junior year
- Great character and mentally thought. "You'll never have to worry about him on or off the court"
- Very coachable. Will ALWAYS do what coach wants without complaining
- His poor outside shooting attributable to fact that he's been so good at scoring on dribble penetration that he's never been called upon to shoot much.
- "He's the kind of guy you want when you already have a couple very talented young players who might not have the intensity or winning mentality you want. Okoro will provide that mentality."

I thought this last comment about Okoro was interesting. It sounded like Pearl was speaking directly to Rosas about KAT and DLO and essentially making a pitch for the Wolves to draft him.
MikeAz [enjin:6636981]

Post by MikeAz [enjin:6636981] »

I apologize if this video has already been posted, but has anyone seen this video from The Ringer on Anthony Edwards? It's pretty good, it goes over his strengths and some of his weaknesses, they seem to think some of the weaknesses have been overstated. I'm sold on him if they keep #1, I'd be a bit reluctant to deal that pick too unless they are blown away, I really like the idea of a Towns, Russell, Edwards trio moving forward.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pKWvlE83ldQ&t=97s
thedoper

Post by thedoper »

MikeAz wrote:I apologize if this video has already been posted, but has anyone seen this video from The Ringer on Anthony Edwards? It's pretty good, it goes over his strengths and some of his weaknesses, they seem to think some of the weaknesses have been overstated. I'm sold on him if they keep #1, I'd be a bit reluctant to deal that pick too unless they are blown away, I really like the idea of a Towns, Russell, Edwards trio moving forward.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pKWvlE83ldQ&t=97s

Im pro Edwards with the #1 pick. I think there may only be a few more. The pieces fit, it makes sense to me. Love his talent.
Monster

Post by Monster »

On Wolfson's podcast from Thursday he had Joe Abunassar the guy doing training for Haliburton, Nnaji and some other prospects. Lowry is among NBA vets that are training there too. He has trained guys for over 20 years including KG. Haliburton is obviously his guy but he really had a lot of positive things to say about him. He said he told the Wolves if you want to win a lot of games you should pick Tyrese. Woodson also had former Suns GM Ryan McDonough, Isaac Okoro (very short) and Nnaji on that podcast as well. I know people aren't always a fan of Wolfson but It was a pretty solid podcast if you are into The NBA.
Camden [enjin:6601484]

Post by Camden [enjin:6601484] »

Speaking of Darren Wolfson, he notes that the Wolves are showing interest in Aaron Gordon. Welp. That plays into the idea that Gersson Rosas is looking for players that fit his vision and not looking for the best players available.

I can easily see Minnesota acquiring Gordon either before or on draft night and plugging him in the four spot for years to come. That's unsettling to think about for me. It's not that Gordon is a bad player, but he does nothing to make this team considerably better.
kekgeek

Post by kekgeek »

Camden0916 wrote:Speaking of Darren Wolfson, he notes that the Wolves are showing interest in Aaron Gordon. Welp. That plays into the idea that Gersson Rosas is looking for players that fit his vision and not looking for the best players available.

I can easily see Minnesota acquiring Gordon either before or on draft night and plugging him in the four spot for years to come. That's unsettling to think about for me. It's not that Gordon is a bad player, but he does nothing to make this team considerably better.

I would love to add Gordon! If it is 17 and Johnson for Gordon I'll love it. I think Gordon will be great in a new situation and a place where he can just be a jack of all trades player instead of playing the 3 in Orlando

kekgeek1 wrote:
Camden0916 wrote:Speaking of Darren Wolfson, he notes that the Wolves are showing interest in Aaron Gordon. Welp. That plays into the idea that Gersson Rosas is looking for players that fit his vision and not looking for the best players available.

I would love to add Gordon! If it is 17 and Johnson for Gordon I'll love it. I think Gordon will be great in a new situation and a place where he can just be a jack of all trades player instead of playing the 3 in Orlando

I think I'd rather draft a talented player at 17 and role with James Johnson.
kekgeek

Post by kekgeek »

Camden0916 wrote:
kekgeek1 wrote:

Think there is a very good shot whoever the Wolves draft won't come close to the player Gordon is

kekgeek1 wrote:
Camden0916 wrote:
kekgeek1 wrote:

Think there is a very good shot whoever the Wolves draft won't come close to the player Gordon is

I don't think Aaron Gordon has set that bar very high, honestly. He's very much an average NBA player who doesn't do any one thing better than another. His On/Off numbers don't exactly pop off the page either. There's nothing wrong with being an average NBA player, but I'd rather this franchise not lock themselves into mediocrity at a position when they need better than that.

Also, Gordon played an estimated 90-percent of his minutes at the four last season in Orlando. Still meh. I just don't see it.