Might as well talk draft....

Any And All Things T-Wolves Related
Camden [enjin:6601484]

Re: Might as well talk draft....

Post by Camden [enjin:6601484] »

Anthony Edwards reclassified from 2020 to 2019. Essentially, it means he skipped his senior year of high school to come to the NCAA sooner. It's pretty common nowadays for top level athletes to do that. Marvin Bagley did it. Andrew Wiggins did it. Karl-Anthony Towns did it. Jontay Porter did it. R.J. Barrett did it. Those are just a few off the top of my head. I believe there's extra courses the student athletes have to complete under NCAA rules in order to reclassify. Motivation behind it is quite simple. Get to the NBA sooner so you can get to that second contract sooner. Also, depending on the recruiting classes, you can go from a top-10 recruit to a top-three recruit -- or something similar -- which could seriously affect the kinds of scholarships you're likely to receive.
Hicks123 [enjin:6700838]

Post by Hicks123 [enjin:6700838] »

thedoper wrote:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hCKkizWv0OA&ab_channel=Swish

Those Edwards handles make the Wiggins comparisons kind of silly from an isolated basketball skill perspective. If Wiggins had Edwards skill with the ball we probably would have kept him. Edwards is built like a truck too. I don't fully understand the statement how Edwards came to college a year early? Is he just young for his draft year or does anyone know why they keep saying that?

Believe he took extra classes prior to what would have been senior year in HS in order to graduate early. So last year, he should have been HS Senior vs fresh at Georgia.
thedoper

Post by thedoper »

Hicks123 wrote:

Those Edwards handles make the Wiggins comparisons kind of silly from an isolated basketball skill perspective. If Wiggins had Edwards skill with the ball we probably would have kept him. Edwards is built like a truck too. I don't fully understand the statement how Edwards came to college a year early? Is he just young for his draft year or does anyone know why they keep saying that?

Believe he took extra classes prior to what would have been senior year in HS in order to graduate early. So last year, he should have been HS Senior vs fresh at Georgia.

Well he must have some good parents. Thanks.
thedoper

Post by thedoper »

Camden0916 wrote:Anthony Edwards reclassified from 2020 to 2019. Essentially, it means he skipped his senior year of high school to come to the NCAA sooner. It's pretty common nowadays for top level athletes to do that. Marvin Bagley did it. Andrew Wiggins did it. Karl-Anthony Towns did it. Jontay Porter did it. R.J. Barrett did it. Those are just a few off the top of my head. I believe there's extra courses the student athletes have to complete under NCAA rules in order to reclassify. Motivation behind it is quite simple. Get to the NBA sooner so you can get to that second contract sooner. Also, depending on the recruiting classes, you can go from a top-10 recruit to a top-three recruit -- or something similar -- which could seriously affect the kinds of scholarships you're likely to receive.

Thanks.
Q12543 [enjin:6621299]

Post by Q12543 [enjin:6621299] »

I compare him to Wiggins in the sense that he is mostly a volume scorer, settles for poor shots, and is not a good defender. His handles and passing most likely are better in that he is more of a pure SG and Wiggins was a natural SF.

Having said all of that, I think it's still possible the Wolves take him to be their starting SG so that they can move on from Malik Beasley.
thedoper

Post by thedoper »

Q12543 wrote:

I compare him to Wiggins in the sense that he is mostly a volume scorer, settles for poor shots, and is not a good defender. His handles and passing most likely are better in that he is more of a pure SG and Wiggins was a natural SF.

Having said all of that, I think it's still possible the Wolves take him to be their starting SG so that they can move on from Malik Beasley.

Only Wiggins was too frail to be a natural 3. He could never find the balance of using his speed going the right direction, and when he was met with a man's body at the 3 he would get swallowed up. If you heard any of Sam Mitchell's rants about Wiggins after leaving it was on this precise issue that Wiggins was a 2, and that was the key too his success. Flip seemed to think Wiggins was a 2 also. The reality was Wiggins never had the basketball skill or body type to be dominant at either position. Where as Edwards is an ideal 2 based on his body type and athletic profile. Maybe the shot never settles for Edwards, but he fits the mold.

Timberwolves: Ben Simmons

Sixers: Bradley Beal, No. 17

Wizards: Jarrett Culver, James Johnson (player option), Josh Okogie, Jarred Vanderbilt, No. 1, Minnesota's 2023 first-round pick (unprotected, conditional upon 2021 obligation to Golden State)

- Bleacher Report suggested this trade in a recent article. This is a very good example of what I had alluded to not too long ago on here. That would be tremendous.

Edit: It certainly is a lot to give up on Minnesota's end, but you're receiving a lot in Ben Simmons as well. He's also a great fit with Karl-Anthony Towns and D'Angelo Russell, and with what the front office appears to want to do. You gut the roster a bit, but you'd still be able to re-sign Malik Beasley and Jordan McLaughlin. Jake Layman when healthy is a serviceable rotation player. I'd imagine Juan Hernangomez would also be re-signed in this case. Naz Reid should be playable if not legitimately solid. And then you use the MLE on a defensive-minded wing to replace what you lost with Josh Okogie and Jarrett Culver.
TheFuture

Post by TheFuture »

Camden0916 wrote:Timberwolves: Ben Simmons

Wizards: Jarrett Culver, James Johnson (player option), Josh Okogie, Jarred Vanderbilt, No. 1, Minnesota's 2023 first-round pick (unprotected, conditional upon 2021 obligation to Golden State)

- Bleacher Report suggested this trade in a recent article. This is a very good example of what I had alluded to not too long ago on here. That would be tremendous.

Edit: It certainly is a lot to give up on Minnesota's end, but you're receiving a lot in Ben Simmons as well. He's also a great fit with Karl-Anthony Towns and D'Angelo Russell, and with what the front office appears to want to do. You gut the roster a bit, but you'd still be able to re-sign Malik Beasley and Jordan McLaughlin. Jake Layman when healthy is a serviceable rotation player. I'd imagine Juan Hernangomez would also be re-signed in this case. Naz Reid should be playable if not legitimately solid. And then you use the MLE on a defensive-minded wing to replace what you lost with Josh Okogie and Jarrett Culver.

To be honest, I wouldn't do it. Simmons is a fine player, but he requires a team fitted to him. I like the flexibility we currently have with KAT and DLO as our best players. Trading for Simmons means placing both of their skillsets on the backburner.

TheFuture wrote:

To be honest, I wouldn't do it. Simmons is a fine player, but he requires a team fitted to him. I like the flexibility we currently have with KAT and DLO as our best players. Trading for Simmons means placing both of their skillsets on the backburner.

Your assessment is correct that Ben Simmons requires a team fitted to him, but Karl-Anthony Towns and D'Angelo Russell are arguably the exact pieces -- or molds of players -- you'd want to surround him with. Another primary ball-handler that can also play off the ball and make threes. A stretch-five -- the best shooting big of all-time for my money -- that can shoulder the offensive load and clean the glass. We'd still need that versatile defensive wing, but man, I think those three's strengths and weaknesses balance each other really well.
TheFuture

Post by TheFuture »

Camden0916 wrote:
TheFuture wrote:

Your assessment is correct that Ben Simmons requires a team fitted to him, but Karl-Anthony Towns and D'Angelo Russell are arguably the exact pieces -- or molds of players -- you'd want to surround him with. Another primary ball-handler that can also play off the ball and make threes. A stretch-five -- the best shooting big of all-time for my money -- that can shoulder the offensive load and clean the glass. We'd still need that versatile defensive wing, but man, I think those three's strengths and weaknesses balance each other really well.

I dont disagree wholeheartedly. I just see much more tweaking capabilities surrounding KAT and DLO. When you add Simmons; those opportunities all disappear.

What does the defense do when we need a bucket and KAT should be down low to go get it? They'll double him off of Simmons.

Simmons would make our defense better, but not enough to offset the offensive gain. My opinion.