Might as well talk draft....

Any And All Things T-Wolves Related
Lipoli390

Re: Might as well talk draft....

Post by Lipoli390 »

thedoper wrote:It's drafts like these where good GMs clean up. One way or another there are going to be a few GMs who end up looking great in hindsight. Whenever there are drafts that the "experts" say have no top end talent there are going to high value assets that come out of seemingly nowhere. I'm not sure what our scouting budget is now or where things are at with this team, but based on our history and Rosas single year of drafting I'm a bit worried. I think this draft should be a referendum on Rosas's competency in his position. If we don't come out of this draft with a legit stater either through trade or draft you will have to figure that Rosas is less than competent in analyzing talent.

I agree completely, Doper.
Lipoli390

Post by Lipoli390 »

monsterpile wrote:Darius Garland is kind of a weird sort of legend on this board. I like the guy but he had a decent rookie year nothing to be too excited about as a small scoring guard. I don't feel like we missed out on something amazing there at this point but that could certainly change. Tyler Herro...I'd like to have that guy but how many here on this board weren't in on him? I do feel confident that Culver will be a positive defensive player and this team needs those type of guys.

Garland isn't a legend on this board. He was the guy Rosas wanted and traded up to get. So I guess Garland has failed so far to vindicate Gersson's high opinion of him. You don't trade up for the #6 player in a draft to get "a positive defensive player" who can't shoot. And you shouldn't trade up for someone without knowing you'll be able to get him. As for missing out of Herro, I'll admit I wasn't a Herro guy. But Cam sure was. And the Wolves doesn't pay Cam over a million dollars a year to make those decisions -- at least I don't think so. (Cam?). Gersson did not have a good draft last year. He had better do better this year.
khans2k5 [enjin:6608728]

Post by khans2k5 [enjin:6608728] »

KG4Ever wrote:I don't want to trade #1 unless it is for a young star like Ben Simmons or we get a top ten pick this year plus a pick in 2021 with no or little (top two) protection from a team likely to suck such as Charlotte, Cleveland, Detroit, Knicks and perhaps Chicago and Washington as well. I'd also take a pick in 2022 instead of 2021 from any of these teams other than Knicks who will have a ton of cap space in 2021 to improve themselves.

Nobody is giving up any good future first round picks to get to the top of this draft and getting a star with the number 1 pick in this draft is a tall task now that Philly has Doc, Phoenix ended the season hot and Washington doesn't seem to want to deal Beal. You're looking at a guy like Oladipo as probably the best trade target and he has an injury history that comes with him.
Lipoli390

Post by Lipoli390 »

khans2k5 wrote:
KG4Ever wrote:I don't want to trade #1 unless it is for a young star like Ben Simmons or we get a top ten pick this year plus a pick in 2021 with no or little (top two) protection from a team likely to suck such as Charlotte, Cleveland, Detroit, Knicks and perhaps Chicago and Washington as well. I'd also take a pick in 2022 instead of 2021 from any of these teams other than Knicks who will have a ton of cap space in 2021 to improve themselves.

Nobody is giving up any good future first round picks to get to the top of this draft and getting a star with the number 1 pick in this draft is a tall task now that Philly has Doc, Phoenix ended the season hot and Washington doesn't seem to want to deal Beal. You're looking at a guy like Oladipo as probably the best trade target and he has an injury history that comes with him.

I think you're probably right, Kahns, although I think the Knicks would swap their #8 pick and their 2021 Dallas first rounder for the Wolves #1 pick and the opportunity to draft LaMello Ball. Otherwise, I don't think they'd give up their own 2021 pick without full lottery protection. Beyond that, I don't see the Wolves getting a star or a largely unprotected high future first pick. That means any realistic deal would be a trade down for a lower lottery pick and a solid rotation player like Heurter or Kennard.
KG4Ever

Post by KG4Ever »

As we near the draft, I would suspect trade offers will improve. I suspect some guys will have incredible workouts and generate some buzz. Teams are acting cool now as they don't want to seem eager, but I'd hold out for a top ten pick this year and a likely lottery pick in 2021 or 2022.
KG4Ever

Post by KG4Ever »

Jalen Smith is a guy that intrigues me. A big who can play inside and out and can block shots. Reminds me a little of Myles Turner. He is someone to consider at 17, though I'm still higher on Saddiq Bey.

Edit: https://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/2020-nba-mock-draft-anthony-edwards-moves-up-to-no-2-goes-to-the-warriors-behind-no-1-pick-lamelo-ball/CBS mockactually has Wolves taking Smith at 17
Monster

Post by Monster »

KG4Ever wrote:Jalen Smith is a guy that intrigues me. A big who can play inside and out and can block shots. Reminds me a little of Myles Turner. He is someone to consider at 17, though I'm still higher on Saddiq Bey.

Edit: https://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/2020-nba-mock-draft-anthony-edwards-moves-up-to-no-2-goes-to-the-warriors-behind-no-1-pick-lamelo-ball/CBS mockactually has Wolves taking Smith at 17

FWIW So does the Athletic.
KG4Ever

Post by KG4Ever »

I think Paul Reed would be a great get at 33. He might be available there. Last year he averaged 2.6 blocks, 1.9 steals, 10.7 Rebounds, 15.1 points, 51.6 FG%, 73.8 FT%, . He can shoot 3s (33% over college career). 7 foot 2 wingspan. I like his athleticism and motor too. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZRCy45OpCNk&ab_channel=HoopIntellect
Camden [enjin:6601484]

Post by Camden [enjin:6601484] »

I'd be very surprised if Reed doesn't go late first round.
Lipoli390

Post by Lipoli390 »

Here's an excerpt from a recent blog by DunkingwithWolves writer Ben Beecken It reflects a broader narrative among fans and commentators that James Wiseman would be a poor fit next to Towns. That narrative seems ridiculous to me. Here's the excerpt:

"We've already broken down the third player's game, wing Anthony Edwards from the University of Georgia. While he's the best positional fit with incumbents D'Angelo Russell and Karl-Anthony Towns, there are real question marks about certain aspects of his game.

Wiseman is every bit of seven feet tall and doesn't stretch the floor, which makes him an unlikely fit next to Towns -- especially given everything we know about head coach Ryan Saunders' desire to play fast and small, with a premium placed on positional flexibility and switchability."

I almost understand the suggestion that drafting Wiseman would conflict with Ryan's desire to play fast and small - except for the fact that one of Wiseman's strengths is his speed up and down the court. So maybe Ryan just wants to play small. Go figure. But what really strikes me as ridiculous is the suggestion that Wiseman isn't compatible with Towns because he doesn't stretch the floor. It's as if Beecken and the many others who share that view are entirely unaware of the fact that Towns is an elite 3-point shooter who can score at an elite level from anywhere on the floor. Therefore, he doesn't need to be paired with another big who also stretches the floor. I'll add that Wiseman has a nice shooting touch from short range and the free-throw line, which suggests the potential to become a decent if not very good 3-point shooter. However, the main point is that he doesn't need to be if paired with KAT. It is KAT's non-traditional uniqueness as a big that opens the door to adding a more traditional big who doesn't stretch the floor. At the same time, Beecken and others ignore the defensive hole that Wiseman could potentially fill next to the defensively challenged Towns.

I'm writing as someone who hasn't advocated for the Wolves to draft Wiseman. Yet, sometimes what I see in the blogosphere drives me nuts. There are reasons to pass on Wiseman in favor of other prospects, but questions about his ability to stretch the floor or play at a fast pace are not among them. Wiseman's ability to switch out on smaller perimeter players concerns me, which is one reason why I think Okongwu would be a better fit on the Wolves than Wiseman. I'm also concerned about Wiseman's competitive drive and love for the game based on some of what I've read. However, Wiseman's elite length and excellent athleticism suggest he won't necessarily be totally inept on switches. More importantly, he has the potential to add a defensive presence and rebounding help that this team desperately needs. And I'm not convinced he lacks a strong competitive drive. That's something the Wolves front office should be focused on exploring.

Sadly, I suspect that Ryan Saunders and our front office have bought off on the false narrative that Wiseman can't fit well next to Towns. I hope my suspicion is wrong. I'm fine with passing on Wiseman, but not if it's for the wrong reasons. If the Wolves front office is convinced that there are no competitiveness or work-ethic concerns with Wiseman and they're not convinced that Ball or Edwards is the better choice, then they should draft him unless they can get a better deal overall trading down.