Might as well talk draft....

Any And All Things T-Wolves Related
Monster

Re: Might as well talk draft....

Post by Monster »

Camden0916 wrote:Measurements matter, but they're not the be-all and end-all. James Wiseman could have a 9'3" standing reach -- instead of a 9'6" reach -- and still be a fantastic rim protector. Anthony Davis had a ho-hum 9'0" standing reach at his combine. Chris Bosh came in at 9'1" and Tyson Chandler was measured at 9'2.5". Obviously, the added length on his reach would add to his impressive physical profile, but if it turns out he's measured at 9'3" that won't deter me from selecting him.

If the other measurements are legit the 6'11.5" without shoes and 7'6" wingspan that's pretty good for me. Standing reach has confounded me for a few years now. Sometimes it just doesn't make sense. All I would say is he isn't Gobert length but...that's a high bar...literally! Lol

I was just thinking if Nerlens Noel had Wiseman's measurements and still moved as well as he does that added couple inches here and stronger body...that might make him a really nice player and probably a little more effective offensively too with more size. That could be a pretty good floor actually because if Noel was actually better at playing C he would probably be making plenty of money instead of taking small deals although sometimes on good teams etc. I just looked back and Noel's UK stats...those block and steal Numbers are pretty impressive.

You mentioned Tyson Chandler wasn't he partly drafted based on his theoretical offensive skill set? It's been a while but that's kinda what I remember.
Q12543 [enjin:6621299]

Post by Q12543 [enjin:6621299] »

monsterpile wrote:
Camden0916 wrote:Measurements matter, but they're not the be-all and end-all. James Wiseman could have a 9'3" standing reach -- instead of a 9'6" reach -- and still be a fantastic rim protector. Anthony Davis had a ho-hum 9'0" standing reach at his combine. Chris Bosh came in at 9'1" and Tyson Chandler was measured at 9'2.5". Obviously, the added length on his reach would add to his impressive physical profile, but if it turns out he's measured at 9'3" that won't deter me from selecting him.

If the other measurements are legit the 6'11.5" without shoes and 7'6" wingspan that's pretty good for me. Standing reach has confounded me for a few years now. Sometimes it just doesn't make sense. All I would say is he isn't Gobert length but...that's a high bar...literally! Lol

I was just thinking if Nerlens Noel had Wiseman's measurements and still moved as well as he does that added couple inches here and stronger body...that might make him a really nice player and probably a little more effective offensively too with more size. That could be a pretty good floor actually because if Noel was actually better at playing C he would probably be making plenty of money instead of taking small deals although sometimes on good teams etc. I just looked back and Noel's UK stats...those block and steal Numbers are pretty impressive.

You mentioned Tyson Chandler wasn't he partly drafted based on his theoretical offensive skill set? It's been a while but that's kinda what I remember.

Noel has actually developed into a very good backup Center and still piles up lots of blocks, steals, and rebounds if you look at his per 36 or 40 numbers. I think he's been solid playing behind Adams in OKC for a couple years. Him being a floor for Wiseman makes sense.
SameOldNudityDrew

Post by SameOldNudityDrew »

monsterpile wrote:

I remember that Bulls draft! They took Chandler AND Curry, basically back-to-back at the top of the draft! It was like a preview of the the Flynn and Rubio thing. I think Chandler was always expected to be the defender and Curry was supposed to be the scorer, but I could be wrong. Both were high schoolers, so it was a real gamble there. Ahhh, the baby Bulls. They also took future super-Wolves-role-player Trenton Hassell in that draft. Chandler's definitely the last guy from that 2001 draft still in the league, right?
BizarroJerry [enjin:6592520]

Post by BizarroJerry [enjin:6592520] »

Looks like the draft might get pushed back until mid November per Adam Silver. Sweet. 2 more months of over analysis!
Lipoli390

Post by Lipoli390 »

Here's an interesting report:

"On Friday, The San Francisco Chronicle's Connor Letourneau reported, citing league sources, that the Warriors are "higher on" Israel forward Deni Avdija than they are on Ball and 'possibly' Wiseman."

I can see LaMello Ball falling pretty far in the draft. If this report is true, I hope the Wolves' organization takes a long hard look at Deni. The Warriors are one of those really good NBA organizations when it comes to identifying and drafting talent - witness their decisions to draft Curry, Thompson and Green. Apparently, the Warriors staff have flown to Israel several times to watch Deni play. If they're that interested in Deni, then the Wolves should be too.
Camden [enjin:6601484]

Post by Camden [enjin:6601484] »

lipoli390 wrote:Here's an interesting report:

"On Friday, The San Francisco Chronicle's Connor Letourneau reported, citing league sources, that the Warriors are "higher on" Israel forward Deni Avdija than they are on Ball and 'possibly' Wiseman."

I can see LaMello Ball falling pretty far in the draft. If this report is true, I hope the Wolves' organization takes a long hard look at Deni. The Warriors are one of those really good NBA organizations when it comes to identifying and drafting talent - witness their decisions to draft Curry, Thompson and Green. Apparently, the Warriors staff have flown to Israel several times to watch Deni play. If they're that interested in Deni, then the Wolves should be too.

I smell smokescreen. Maybe I'm a cynic, but the "James Wiseman to Golden State" pick just seems perfect in all ways. I think the Warriors are just trying to get the scent off their trail.
thedoper

Post by thedoper »

Camden0916 wrote:

I smell smokescreen. Maybe I'm a cynic, but the "James Wiseman to Golden State" pick just seems perfect in all ways. I think the Warriors are just trying to get the scent off their trail.

They probably think McHale is still the GM here.
WildWolf2813

Post by WildWolf2813 »

I can be talked into Wiseman. I can maybe be talked into Okongwu or even Ball. I can't be talked into Avidja. He is a role player. That's all he'll be. A good one, but I'm not taking that at #1 overall. Golden State doesn't need that kind of franchise changing talent. They have it already. We don't.
Lipoli390

Post by Lipoli390 »

Camden wrote:

Not sure I understand the strategy behind that unless they think it will discourage teams from jumping over them to do a deal with the Wolves for Wiseman. But that seems lame. By saying they're interested in Deni rather than Wiseman, Edwards or Ball they're certainly not enhancing the trade value of their pick.
khans2k5 [enjin:6608728]

Post by khans2k5 [enjin:6608728] »

lipoli390 wrote:
Camden wrote:

Not sure I understand the strategy behind that unless they think it will discourage teams from jumping over them to do a deal with the Wolves for Wiseman. But that seems lame. By saying they're interested in Deni rather than Wiseman, Edwards or Ball they're certainly not enhancing the trade value of their pick.

The strategy is to play up guys you don't want so other teams do exactly what you are doing in taking a second look at Deni just because it's the Warriors. If the Warriors liked Deni they wouldn't say a peep about him. Keeping his value low is the play if they actually wanted him because it means they can get more back with him in a trade if they are trying to trade down to get him and someone else for 2. Adding more names to the top player list only lessens the value of their #2 pick because they are saying there are even more guys available that will be good. Why is someone trading up to 2 rather than 3/4/5 with teams that have more trade flexibility than the Warriors to get someone just as good as Wiseman for example?