Monster

Re: Souhan: Mitchell, Wolves not the right fit

Post by Monster »

bleedspeed177 wrote:JVG of course. :-)

Lol I almost wrote that.
Papalrep

Post by Papalrep »

This is all about Glen. Fun to talk about JVG, Muss, whoever. But the questions are:

When is Glen selling?
To Whom?
Is the team staying here?
New owner decides the coach, not Glen. And he is not about to complicate the sale
Just another wasted year.
alexftbl8181 [enjin:6648741]

Post by alexftbl8181 [enjin:6648741] »

northernhoops wrote:Ideally, I'd want JVG at HC with Thibs as an assistant, like the 08-09 Celtics, but that would be like hoping the Wolves make the playoffs this year

I can promise my life savings that Thibs would not come to the Minnesota Timberwolves as an assistant
TeamRicky [enjin:6648771]

Post by TeamRicky [enjin:6648771] »

bleedspeed177 wrote:JVG of course. :-)

I think JVG is as good as any available coaches as an X's and O's guy. How is he at player development?

The reason I always put Scott Brooks first is he really shined in player development and at this stage this is a huge need.
Monster

Post by Monster »

papalrep wrote:This is all about Glen. Fun to talk about JVG, Muss, whoever. But the questions are:

When is Glen selling?
To Whom?
Is the team staying here?
New owner decides the coach, not Glen. And he is not about to complicate the sale
Just another wasted year.

To answer your questions...Glen is selling as much as 30% to a new ownership group led by Stephen Kaplan sometime around the middle of this year. Glen isn't giving up majority ownership of the team for a few years (most educated guessers are saying 2-3 years) but the general understanding is that the new ownership group has the inside track on ending up with the option of owning the majority stake in the team when Glen makes that move. So the new owner won't be deciding anything but you would imagine he may end up with some sort of input. The team is going nowhere. That's one thing you can be sure of with Glen he will make sure it doesn't go anywhere. The Target center has a lease for quite a few years and they are going forward with renovations plus they have that nifty Mayo center.

So there is still plenty of uncertainty about he future of the organization which makes it plenty tricky. Keep this in mind. It's been reported by some legit media peeps that Glen was really looking to sell a few years ago but Flip basically convinced him to bring him on and build something special and well Flip ended up delivering on that. Why did does Glen want to sell? He is old and nobody in his family really wants to own the team so he wants to have a reasonable exit strategy. Why does he hold onto it for another couple years then? Well this was Flip and his vision and quite frankly this team looks kinda exciting right? Wouldn't you like to own this up and coming team? Plus if the Wolves do pan out to be good that would probably raise the value of the franchise so...

A couple optimistic-ish things to point out.

Plenty of NBA franchises go through tricky ownership changes (which often mean new front office and or coach etc and sometimes it's plenty messy) all the time and reasonably survive all that comes with it. It wasn't that long ago the Warriors were purchased and look at them now. :) Of course in the short term the Wolves situation is a little more tricky because Flip was the organization and he didn't get ousted he passed away. This could all work out somewhat decently well over the next couple years. It could also go horribly wrong but it could end up being fine or maybe even REALLY well. My point is this type of stuff happens around the league it's been done before.

It seems like Kaplan has positive vibes surrounding him. Media peeps seem to think it's a good move and that's a reasonably good sign. He is a minority ownership of the Grizzlies so he has some knowledge of NBA franchises.
Papalrep

Post by Papalrep »

monsterpile--The team is going nowhere.

Not with Sam, anyway, LOL. But you meant not moving, and that is good news.

Thanks, great post.
bleedspeed

Post by bleedspeed »

The guy I really would want as POBO would be Hoiberg. I think he would do a great job in the role. I think he understands talent and would be able to handle the media. I think he would be better in this role then as a coach. I would be very happy with him and a guy like Brooks as the coach.
Monster

Post by Monster »

papalrep wrote:monsterpile--The team is going nowhere.

Not with Sam, anyway, LOL. But you meant not moving, and that is good news.

Thanks, great post.

Lol that was pretty good. I would say this team isn't going anywhere but it should because it has some tourists that really want to see some pretty nifty things.