Heard Brewer is a done deal

Any And All Things T-Wolves Related
Monster

Re: Heard Brewer is a done deal

Post by Monster »

This is a flurry of news and maybe it will be clear when there are more details but I am not sure what the point of the Martin sign and trade is if we traded Ridnour to clear cap space for Brewer. Can someone shed some thoughts on this? There must be a little more in these deals that we don't know yet. It doesn't add up or maybe its cause I am just really tired today.
Camden [enjin:6601484]

Post by Camden [enjin:6601484] »

In my head, the S&T for K-Mart was done in order for Sota to be able to sign Brewer outright like they did. Dealing Ridnour freed up the cap to sign Brewer.
worldK

Post by worldK »

Disappointed with signing brewer to a 5m/yr contract for 3 years. I dont beleive there are any team out there that is going to give brewer that much except us. 5m is too much for him and 3 years is too long. He is not the answer at the starting sf spot, and he cannot be counted on to be the wings stopper playing 32mins a night vs. the top wings of opposing teams.

He is active, like his energy and hustle and he can be disruptive on the defensive end, but he can also be disruptive on the offensive end for us, he is a bad shooter, too thin to guard the big wings.

I may sound like im anti brewer, but im not, I just view him a a energy/hustle bench guy. I dont like the contract he will be getting. If its a 3m/3yt deal, i would be happy. Or if its a 9m/2yr deal, i would feel better since it would be an expiring after the season. But 5m/yr for 3 years is too much and we basically bid againts ourselves.

Dorell wright signs for 2yr@3m per year with portland
Caroll signs 2 yr@2.5m with atlanta
Brandon Rush signs a 2yr@4m per yr with warriors last season.
Ronnie brewer is till out there and probably wont get abpve3m for 2 yrs.

Il rather have those 4 than corey brewer @5m per year for 3 years.
Q12543 [enjin:6621299]

Post by Q12543 [enjin:6621299] »

Yup, I think there were better defenders out there to be had for cheaper $. I thought Aminu, Carroll, and even Ronnie Brewer would be $ for $ better values.
mjs34

Post by mjs34 »

monsterpile wrote:This is a flurry of news and maybe it will be clear when there are more details but I am not sure what the point of the Martin sign and trade is if we traded Ridnour to clear cap space for Brewer. Can someone shed some thoughts on this? There must be a little more in these deals that we don't know yet. It doesn't add up or maybe its cause I am just really tired today.

Monster, I believe it is a three team deal in the S&T so we never went below the cap, which kept our mle available to us. I believe that is what we are using to sign Brewer, but it would be nice to actually have a local reporter try and get some real info for us.
Q12543 [enjin:6621299]

Post by Q12543 [enjin:6621299] »

Brewer should win the starting SF job for the following reasons:

1. He can matchup decently against most 2's and 3's, therefore allowing Martin to guard the offensively inferior wing.

2. One of Brewer's flaws last year is he shot too damn much. But that's mostly because Denver doesn't have a lot of high-volume scorers on their squad....In fact, they have none. So Brewer ended up taking more shots than he really should. That wouldn't happen with Pek, Love, and Martin on the floor, any one of whom could have fairly easily been Denver's top scorer last year.

3. I like him paired with Rubio and Love more than Barea and Williams/Cunningham. Brewer loves to get out and run and I think Ricky and Love are more likely to take advantage of that strength than our bench unit.

4. Speaking of our bench, there could be some serious wild cards. JJ is the definition of a wildcard. Who knows what we'll get out Dieng, Shabazz, and Chris Johnson? Williams is a guy that has struggled with decision making at times. I like the idea of Budinger coming off the bench as a steadying force. It's sort of the opposite of what you typically want from a bench "energy" guy, but I think we'll get enough of that from JJ, Cunningham, and the others. Again, it seems to strike a good balance.

Anywho, I think Flip could have done better, but ironically, the best use of Brewer is probably as a starter for the reasons I stated above.
Monster

Post by Monster »

sjm34 wrote:
monsterpile wrote:This is a flurry of news and maybe it will be clear when there are more details but I am not sure what the point of the Martin sign and trade is if we traded Ridnour to clear cap space for Brewer. Can someone shed some thoughts on this? There must be a little more in these deals that we don't know yet. It doesn't add up or maybe its cause I am just really tired today.

Monster, I believe it is a three team deal in the S&T so we never went below the cap, which kept our mle available to us. I believe that is what we are using to sign Brewer, but it would be nice to actually have a local reporter try and get some real info for us.

That actually makes alot of sense. I bet its a little hard to get the details when these deals are contingent on this that and the other thing and the Rockets were just fined for talking too much about Howard. The Rockets owner probably doesn't care overall, but nobody wants to write out an extra check to the league if they don't have to. Ultimately my guess is that the way this went down opens up some other option to sign another player with a decent chunk of money.
MinnesotaJock [enjin:6589402]

Post by MinnesotaJock [enjin:6589402] »

I think Brewer won't be such a liability offensively as we may think. Even though his iq will not match AK's, Corey is solid at reading the D. Here's a quote from George Karl regarding Brew:

George Karl wrote:"I think Corey is more of a scorer than a shooter. If Corey tries to make this league as a shooter, it's a mistake. He's one of the best back cutters in the game of basketball. "

We all will be worried about his shooting, but that's why we have Martin and Bud in the backcourt. He will be a good target for Ricky when he cuts and Ricky will find him. Corey will play his role and do whatever it takes to win. He is a great teammate and someone you love to cheer for. If he ends up shooting 40% from the corner three like he did last year, I'll be happy.
mjs34

Post by mjs34 »

So it wasn't enough to overpay him significantly, but we also gave him a player option in the final year. For all the ripping Kahn took over the years, it sure seems like Flip is getting a pass for making the same ridiculous signings.
Elan24 [enjin:6583971]

Post by Elan24 [enjin:6583971] »

Yes, it seems Brew was more in line with what R Foye got 9 mil over 3 yrs. But maybe the Wolves wouldn't have gotten him for that. Seems 'sota always has to overpay a bit to get their man. It is what it is.