David Kahn's lone triumph was actually a huge mistake

Any And All Things T-Wolves Related
Lipoli390

Re: David Kahn's lone triumph was actually a huge mistake

Post by Lipoli390 »

KiwiMatt wrote:David Kahn was the worst GM ever in the NBA and arguably in world professional sport.

To me his last move sums up his reign as Wolves GM: Trading away a future 1st to trade Wesley Johnson to PHX (who he drafted a 4 the year before) to clear cap to sign AK to a two year 20 mil contract (with a second year player option in which AK opted out and signed with the nets). That is just pure idiocy.

The guy just didn't have a clue. If anything could have gone wrong with him, it did!

The ghost of David Kahn will linger for a few more years yet. Hopefully Flip can get this ship back on course.

You nailed it, Matt!!!!
Q12543 [enjin:6621299]

Post by Q12543 [enjin:6621299] »

kms789 wrote:As much as I like the steals he gets, what about the fact that opponent PER continues to go up against him? His Opp PER was 16.4 his rookie year (pre-knee injury), 18.6 last year, and an astounding 20.1 this year. That's just terrible and it helps explain why this team is in 10th place in the west despite career years from a top-5 player and a top-5 center

"It takes a village to raise a child" - African Proverb

"It takes a village to play defense against NBA point guards" - Q's adaptation of African Proverb.

While the Opponent PER number against Rubio is high, I look at it as a reflection of our overall defensive philosophy: Create turnovers; don't foul people; protect the defensive glass; and just weather the storm when they get hot.

I don't think this is the greatest of defensive philosophies, but it's what works best given our starting five. And the result is that our defensive efficiency rating is 8th best in the NBA and it's the franchise's best mark since the 03-04 season. Rubio is a huge part of this, as he is elite amongst PGs in both steals and defensive rebounding.

Without an elite shotblocker in the lineup or AK47 prowling the floor, we just have a tough time containing PGs in the pick and roll game. Our approach has been to give them the mid-range jumpers, don't foul if they take it to the hoop, and just hope that eventually they make a mistake or start missing shots. For the most part, it's worked, as our starting lineup routinely wins it's matchup even against the most elite NBA starting 5's.

I think what needs to change next year is that the first big off the bench needs to be either Turiaf or Dieng instead of Cunningham (I predict Dieng will win that battle). We need some defensive length and mobility in there for a good 15-20 MPG. I would also like to see Pekovic get a bit more aggressive at challenging shots. He's not going to block a lot, but simply giving a hard foul once a game could be useful.

And lastly, assuming that Adelman retires after this year, the front office needs to find a coach that preaches and emphasizes defense and encourages a more physical brand of basketball. We need to get better at the most fundamental of defensive metrics: Opponents missing more of their shots.
AbeVigodaLive

Post by AbeVigodaLive »

I've seen a lot of praise lately for Rubio's defensive rebounding.

Where do most people put defensive rebounding on the list of key attributes for a top-notch PG?
bleedspeed

Post by bleedspeed »

AbeVigodaLive wrote:I've seen a lot of praise lately for Rubio's defensive rebounding.

Where do most people put defensive rebounding on the list of key attributes for a top-notch PG?

It is right above blocks, but it would be a key for starting a fast break if you didn't have a big man that could throw amazing outlet passes.

Defensive rebounding for a PG isn't a huge differentiator, but as Bleed says, when Rubio grabs the rebound, it often translates into an open shot or layup at the other end. While Love is the master of outlet passes, I've seen plenty of instances this season where Rubio grabs a rebound and immediately looks up the floor and finds someone for an open shot.

Abe, if your point is that things like the ability to score points at an efficient rate or running an offense is more important for a PG than defensive rebounding, I don't think anyone would argue with you on that. It's one of many things Rubio does well, and it counts for something, not the least of which is an extra easy bucket or two per game in transition.
markkbu [enjin:6588958]

Post by markkbu [enjin:6588958] »

A couple thoughts.

Calling AK an "elite shot blocker" is entirely mis-representing his performance last year. He averaged 1 BPG in 31 MPG. Dante is averaging .68 BPG in 20 MPG.......so Dante is getting more blocks per minute than AK did last year. Point being, AK was not an elite shot blocker last year (and hasn't been for a while, he is decent though, in the same way that Dante is).

I like the whole "it takes a village.." thing. That said, rarely do I ever see Rubio "fight through a pick", more often he "casually goes around them". Once a pick has been set Rubio goes from being a good defender to a bad defender (or far less than a good defender). We've all seen people really fight through a pick, that isn't something the Ricky really does.

Most PGs would never be rated on rebounding. The way that we play, it is very beneficial to have a rebounding PG.

Mmm, don't think I ever said AK47 was an elite shotblocker. I said without an elite shotblocker OR AK47...My point being that a player like him can have a profound impact on a team defense (when healthy).
markkbu [enjin:6588958]

Post by markkbu [enjin:6588958] »

Q12543 wrote:Mmm, don't think I ever said AK47 was an elite shotblocker. I said without an elite shotblocker OR AK47...My point being that a player like him can have a profound impact on a team defense (when healthy).

got ya.....you said "without an elite shot blocker OR AK roaming the floor".....i misread that, implying that AK was an elite shot blocker......that seems like a sorta random grouping then.