It's been real, it's been fun... (GDT)

Any And All Things T-Wolves Related
kekgeek

Re: It's been real, it's been fun... (GDT)

Post by kekgeek »

Carlos Danger wrote: Mon Apr 24, 2023 8:36 am Am I the only one that feels like there is a bit of conspiracy to let a team win one game? It seems to happen a lot. No...I'm not a tin foil hat guy. I think the other team just sort of let's their foot off the gas when they go up 3-0. I've seen nothing so far to indicate we are the better team. But...we're still playing games in the last week of April. I guess anything can happen.
Baby steps...
I think it’s basic human nature from the players why you feel that way. Nuggets know they are going to win the series, didn’t play locked in for the most part. Celtics same thing in game 3.
Q-is-here

Post by Q-is-here »

kekgeek wrote: Mon Apr 24, 2023 9:17 am
Carlos Danger wrote: Mon Apr 24, 2023 8:36 am Am I the only one that feels like there is a bit of conspiracy to let a team win one game? It seems to happen a lot. No...I'm not a tin foil hat guy. I think the other team just sort of let's their foot off the gas when they go up 3-0. I've seen nothing so far to indicate we are the better team. But...we're still playing games in the last week of April. I guess anything can happen.
Baby steps...
I think it’s basic human nature from the players why you feel that way. Nuggets know they are going to win the series, didn’t play locked in for the most part. Celtics same thing in game 3.
Sixers though....
worldK

Post by worldK »

I enjoyed the game and seeing us win. The blown leads has been the hallmark the last 2 playoff runs. It does not bode well for Finch. I like Finch but those blown leads will get him fired sooner or later.

This is Ant’s team no doubt.

Jmac and nowel were both given another chance to stay in the rotation this game and both blew their chances. I have no doubt Austin Rivers will be the 8th man next game (ant/conley/gobert/towns/Naw/slow mo/prince) and I expect only an 8man rotation will be used next game.

Can we win game 6? slim chance but this is a
superstar league and if ant or towns play a “Superstar” game then we have a shot.
Q-is-here

Post by Q-is-here »

Baby steps...
Yeah, I guess one of the scraps of good news is that Ant has gotten post-season experience (and post-season-like end of regular seasons) for two out of his three years now. Just getting reps playing in multiple must-win type games has to help a young player like him vs. tanking or playing meaningless games for multiple years early in one's career.

He still has to figure out how to make passes in tight spaces and keep moving the ball. I know his assist totals are solid, but for how much he has the ball and how often he gets loaded up on, he could easily average 7-8 assists per game if he was a more skillful passer. He misses a rim rolling Rudy or a popping KAT more often than not. Or he gets it to them a beat late and the window is closed.
AbeVigodaLive

Post by AbeVigodaLive »

I saw graphics and in-game discussions celebrating that the Timberwolves have never been swept in a playoff series. LOL.

What they conveniently left out was "since the NBA went to a best-of-7 format in 2003."

- Minnesota has made the playoffs 5 times since it went to that format.

[Note: Obviously, the Wolves were swept multiple times in the best-of-5 format.]
Q-is-here

Post by Q-is-here »

Porckchop wrote: Mon Apr 24, 2023 8:42 am Jokic is really fun to watch. He does so many things well and with so much composure. He rarely forces his own game. Can’t believe he was the 11th pic in the 2nd round.
What's amazing is his efficiency of movement. The guy just effortlessly racks up points and assists by simply using his size and skill versus any sort of athleticism or constant motion.

The one ding is that his defense at the rim starts to really deteriorate once he picks up a couple of fouls. I think Denver's undoing will ultimately be on that side of the ball which makes our offensive struggles all the more frustrating. Denver is simply not that good of a defensive team.
Wolvesfan21

Post by Wolvesfan21 »

Baby steps...
Did you ever watch the Tim Donaghey doc on Netflix? He confirmed the league does rig games by having refs try and dictate the outcome/winner. Having a series go longer and competitive makes the league more money. Especially finals games.

I wouldn't doubt it still happens. I would be more surprised if it doesn't. Was the Wolves game rigged in favor of the Wolves a bit? Maybe maybe not.
KiwiMatt

Post by KiwiMatt »

Wolvesfan21 wrote: Mon Apr 24, 2023 11:08 am
Baby steps...
Did you ever watch the Tim Donaghey doc on Netflix? He confirmed the league does rig games by having refs try and dictate the outcome/winner. Having a series go longer and competitive makes the league more money. Especially finals games.

I wouldn't doubt it still happens. I would be more surprised if it doesn't. Was the Wolves game rigged in favor of the Wolves a bit? Maybe maybe not.
The Lakers ridiculous free throw discrepancy during the regular season was proof of league manipulation to the outcome of games. I mean since when did Austin Reeves become James Harden? Put him on the Wolves and he wouldn’t get any whistles.
Carlos Danger

Post by Carlos Danger »

KiwiMatt wrote: Mon Apr 24, 2023 3:22 pm
Wolvesfan21 wrote: Mon Apr 24, 2023 11:08 am
Baby steps...

The Lakers ridiculous free throw discrepancy during the regular season was proof of league manipulation to the outcome of games. I mean since when did Austin Reeves become James Harden? Put him on the Wolves and he wouldn’t get any whistles.
The Refs can certainly still influence the results of any game. I do remember that Tim Donaghey story. I don't think it's that sinister (but it could be). I just see this so often as a MN Timberwolves or Twins fan...we seem to get that one token win at home in a playoff series before sending it back to the other team's home to get smoked. Yes, there is a lot of money involved in that extra game via attendance, advertising dollars etc. So...there could be a dark side. But I think it's more like Kek laid out...the other team just sort of subconsciously lets up a little. There is zero pressure on them because they know they can close this thing out any of the next three games. (And most likely the very next one). Let's make them pay for toying with us - hahaha.
Monster

Post by Monster »

I watched this game this morning and had an inkling that it was going into overtime before watching it so…with that knowledge I had an idea what was coming at times.

The Wolves coughed up a lead but still managed to win in OT and did it without the Servies of Kyle anderson who was a bit of a mixed bag but I would prefer to have him available especially when Towns fouled out. It wasn’t pretty but they ended up with a win. I’ll take it.

Finch played all his options at that final spot in the rotation. Nowell did nothing. McLaughlin did a couple things but was very meh. Rivers looked like the good Rivers from around the middle of the season. At this point he should be getting all these minutes because at least he can actually defend someone. He also probably plays the biggest out of all those guys. Nowell does rebound/pursue the ball so that’s a positive.

NAW is earning himself some money. He had a nice game in this one. I’m not sure anyone is gonna throw a whole lot his way but I think he is earning something more than a vet min deal. At this point he has been a huge get in that trade partly because everyone else has been so bad or meh when they have played. He D does look for real and maybe has actually gotten better over time in a Wolves uniform which makes sense considering it helps playing with guys on that end.

Conley with another nice game. Keep in mind that last year he had a really bad playoffs shooting the ball. He is almost 50-50-90 right now.

Just random thought: I would take McDaniels over MPJ even if they got paid the same.

Prince continues to struggle some on offense. I believe he can turn that around. Same for Towns although in a different way.

Edwards playoff stats overall are kinda staggering. The 2.3 steal and 2 blocks are pretty impressive. If feel like he has more than 1.8 turnovers per game but that’s pretty damn good even if it was a little higher considering all the scoring and solid assist numbers he is putting up. He is starting to look closer to the guy he was before all the injuries took a toll on him.

Will the Wolves keep this series interesting? I hope so. Denver has been playing well but the Wolves I think can play better than they have. Missing Anderson is gonna be tough though even if he hasn’t been quite as good lately.