KAT trade ideas

Any And All Things T-Wolves Related
WildWolf2813

Re: KAT trade ideas

Post by WildWolf2813 »

KG4Ever wrote: Sun May 14, 2023 9:26 pm
WildWolf2813 wrote: Sun May 14, 2023 6:23 pm
Phenom wrote: Sun May 14, 2023 5:21 pm What about a package centered around a signed and traded Cam Johnson, a boatload of picks plus salary filler not named Ben Simmons for KAT. Cam is not a fantastic rebounder but is more versatile defensively and could allow the team to play a defense more conducive to protecting the glass.
Harris, Dinwiddie, Cam Thomas, one of the picks this year and a 2027 Phoenix first is probably the best they'll offer.

In essence, you're just dumping KAT to shore up depth temporarily (so Cam takes over for Nowell, Dinwiddie for McLaughlin, and Harris takes over for Prince
That's a non-sensical trade for the Wolves. I'm running things back with KAT and Rudy unless we get at least a 20-something year old top 30 player back (Mikal Bridges, DeJounte Murray are some names I'd be interested in). Unless Wolves get a godfather offer for either, I'd run it back and I'm not opposed to trying to upgrade the coaching staff. I think Nick Nurse is a definite upgrade.
I didn't say I'd do that trade. I'm saying that's the offer they'd likely give you.
Lipoli390

Post by Lipoli390 »

WildWolf2813 wrote: Sun May 14, 2023 9:37 pm
WildWolf2813 wrote: Sun May 14, 2023 6:23 pm

Harris, Dinwiddie, Cam Thomas, one of the picks this year and a 2027 Phoenix first is probably the best they'll offer.

In essence, you're just dumping KAT to shore up depth temporarily (so Cam takes over for Nowell, Dinwiddie for McLaughlin, and Harris takes over for Prince
That's a non-sensical trade for the Wolves. I'm running things back with KAT and Rudy unless we get at least a 20-something year old top 30 player back (Mikal Bridges, DeJounte Murray are some names I'd be interested in). Unless Wolves get a godfather offer for either, I'd run it back and I'm not opposed to trying to upgrade the coaching staff. I think Nick Nurse is a definite upgrade.
I didn't say I'd do that trade. I'm saying that's the offer they'd likely give you.
If the Wolves put KAT on the market, they’ll get far, far better offers that one. If we’re going to trade KAT, the deal has to bring back a Mikal Bridges. If we trade Rudy, I’d want to see a return on par with DeJounte Murray although I’d settle for Ayton.
WildWolf2813

Post by WildWolf2813 »

Lipoli390 wrote: Sun May 14, 2023 10:18 pm
WildWolf2813 wrote: Sun May 14, 2023 9:37 pm

If the Wolves put KAT on the market, they’ll get far, far better offers that one. If we’re going to trade KAT, the deal has to bring back a Mikal Bridges. If we trade Rudy, I’d want to see a return on par with DeJounte Murray although I’d settle for Ayton.
then running it back is the only real option
FNG

Post by FNG »

I think so, WW. And I'm pretty optimistic about what they can do with just some minor tweaks to this lineup. I see the chance of the Wolves trading Gobert as less than 5%. There is a little more likelihood of a KAT deal (but still less than 10% I think), but only if it brought back a very good PF (i.e. much better than Randle) and some draft picks.
Wolvesfan21

Post by Wolvesfan21 »

WildWolf2813 wrote: Sat May 13, 2023 4:44 pm
Wolvesfan21 wrote: Sat May 13, 2023 2:54 pm
kekgeek wrote: Sat May 13, 2023 10:41 am I want nothing I mean nothing to do Randle. He would be terrible for Ant development. He iso everything, plays no defense and has an attitude issue. No showed his last 3 playoff series.

After being the sixth man of the year runner up IQ was garbage in the playoffs before his injury.

Barrett is interesting in my mind that his struggles could be that he played in the Thibs offense and the heavy Randle iso offense. I am not sure if I want to trade our “big” asset to find out.

These playoffs really had me souring on the Knicks package
Randle could have potential to be better on a new team, just like KAT could. I'm not like yeah, I really want Randle. No I don't. But I wouldn't mind getting 4 1st rounders back, a young potential good PG in Quickley, Barrett is still young and has some potential still to be a solid player.

I think the trade is decent for the now and future for Ant. You get 4 1st rounders back plus two young players. You take on Randle and Fournier to get the better young assets.
This would be Randle's 4th team. At a certain point, the change of scenery card wears off like bubble gum. He's a lesser version of KAT, he doesn't change the issues surrounding a pairing with Rudy and truthfully, he'd be miscast here as a second banana to Ant. I'm not even sure their games mesh that well. Plenty of differences between Randle and KAT, but I'll name a couple: Instead of whining to referees like KAT, Randle will whine to everyone else, teammates and fans alike. Much more hard headed than KAT. He's not the kind of guy who goes out of his way to celebrate other teammates. For a pairing that was supposed to lead the Knicks into the future, Randle and Barrett having good games at the same time is rare. Randle goes much more into ISO and looks for his even if someone else is hot and he isn't. Brunson did a major job funneling the offense more when he was on the court. KAT is a cornball. Randle is more mercurial. The worst part is he'd be headlining a trade knowing come playoff time he's guaranteed to fail for you, only after he fails here, then who's gonna want him?

As someone who watches plenty of Knicks, Barrett isn't worth it. He causes too many problems here. Any deal that forces McDaniels to have to play PF full-time makes it not worth extending McDaniels. There's no real potential there unless you wanna see Ant do all the work driving only to kick it out to Barrett just so he can clank an outside three. With Barrett, the jumper will never come and until his showing in the playoffs, every Knick wanted Josh Hart on the court instead of Barrett late in games.

The best asset would probably be Quickley and that's mainly because this franchise has been unable to find a PG of the future and don't have the means to get one, and this one would come with a minimum $90 mil extension.

On top of that, the only picks of value would be New York's and they'd fight tooth and nail not to include those. They'd rather throw in the other picks they've accumulated that have heavier protection.
I look at Randle as filler more then anything though he'd be likely starting. Jaden would still start at the 3. I'd see Barrett coming in as the 6th man and depending on the game and his play getting more or less minutes. Unless Barrett starts taking a leap forward then you put Randle in as the 6th man and go that route. Quickley is for sure the prized asset along with the 4 1st round picks (which it seems everyone wants back). This trade gets you the picks back and a starting PG.

I think it's pretty fair. Sure you take some potential negative assets too, but if you want a starting PG and 4 1st rounders then you got to take on a bit too. This is a good long term for the future trade (though you are right Quickly could break the bank in 2 years which is a possible big negative too). But then Randle would be coming off the books eventually too.
Lipoli390

Post by Lipoli390 »

FNG wrote: Mon May 15, 2023 7:40 am I think so, WW. And I'm pretty optimistic about what they can do with just some minor tweaks to this lineup. I see the chance of the Wolves trading Gobert as less than 5%. There is a little more likelihood of a KAT deal (but still less than 10% I think), but only if it brought back a very good PF (i.e. much better than Randle) and some draft picks.
I agree that it’s highly unlikely the Wolves trade Rudy or KAT this summer. However, I never anticipated TC to make the dunderheaded Gobert deal last summer. So who knows. I think the chances of a Gobert trade are higher than the chances of a KAT trade this summer, but the chances or either being traded are slim.

I agree the team can be good next season with both Rudy and KAT - assuming KAT and Edwards stay healthy.
Q-is-here

Post by Q-is-here »

Wolvesfan21 wrote: Mon May 15, 2023 7:59 am
Wolvesfan21 wrote: Sat May 13, 2023 2:54 pm

Randle could have potential to be better on a new team, just like KAT could. I'm not like yeah, I really want Randle. No I don't. But I wouldn't mind getting 4 1st rounders back, a young potential good PG in Quickley, Barrett is still young and has some potential still to be a solid player.

I think the trade is decent for the now and future for Ant. You get 4 1st rounders back plus two young players. You take on Randle and Fournier to get the better young assets.
This would be Randle's 4th team. At a certain point, the change of scenery card wears off like bubble gum. He's a lesser version of KAT, he doesn't change the issues surrounding a pairing with Rudy and truthfully, he'd be miscast here as a second banana to Ant. I'm not even sure their games mesh that well. Plenty of differences between Randle and KAT, but I'll name a couple: Instead of whining to referees like KAT, Randle will whine to everyone else, teammates and fans alike. Much more hard headed than KAT. He's not the kind of guy who goes out of his way to celebrate other teammates. For a pairing that was supposed to lead the Knicks into the future, Randle and Barrett having good games at the same time is rare. Randle goes much more into ISO and looks for his even if someone else is hot and he isn't. Brunson did a major job funneling the offense more when he was on the court. KAT is a cornball. Randle is more mercurial. The worst part is he'd be headlining a trade knowing come playoff time he's guaranteed to fail for you, only after he fails here, then who's gonna want him?

As someone who watches plenty of Knicks, Barrett isn't worth it. He causes too many problems here. Any deal that forces McDaniels to have to play PF full-time makes it not worth extending McDaniels. There's no real potential there unless you wanna see Ant do all the work driving only to kick it out to Barrett just so he can clank an outside three. With Barrett, the jumper will never come and until his showing in the playoffs, every Knick wanted Josh Hart on the court instead of Barrett late in games.

The best asset would probably be Quickley and that's mainly because this franchise has been unable to find a PG of the future and don't have the means to get one, and this one would come with a minimum $90 mil extension.

On top of that, the only picks of value would be New York's and they'd fight tooth and nail not to include those. They'd rather throw in the other picks they've accumulated that have heavier protection.
I look at Randle as filler more then anything though he'd be likely starting. Jaden would still start at the 3. I'd see Barrett coming in as the 6th man and depending on the game and his play getting more or less minutes. Unless Barrett starts taking a leap forward then you put Randle in as the 6th man and go that route. Quickley is for sure the prized asset along with the 4 1st round picks (which it seems everyone wants back). This trade gets you the picks back and a starting PG.

I think it's pretty fair. Sure you take some potential negative assets too, but if you want a starting PG and 4 1st rounders then you got to take on a bit too. This is a good long term for the future trade (though you are right Quickly could break the bank in 2 years which is a possible big negative too). But then Randle would be coming off the books eventually too.
Yeah, I agree that the bet you are making here is that Quickley develops into a legit, plus-level starting PG that can basically be a younger version of Mike Conley. And the second bet is that Connelly can hit pay dirt in the draft again. Randle and Barrett are more for matching salaries. Not sure I'd do this trade, but I get your logic.
WildWolf2813

Post by WildWolf2813 »

Q-is-here wrote: Mon May 15, 2023 10:09 am

Yeah, I agree that the bet you are making here is that Quickley develops into a legit, plus-level starting PG that can basically be a younger version of Mike Conley. And the second bet is that Connelly can hit pay dirt in the draft again. Randle and Barrett are more for matching salaries. Not sure I'd do this trade, but I get your logic.
Oh the Knicks wouldn't give you all three AND picks. Oh no. You'd get one of them along with Fournier, Toppin, Rose and other filler. They wouldn't treat Randle or Barrett as salary filler.
Q-is-here

Post by Q-is-here »

WildWolf2813 wrote: Mon May 15, 2023 10:41 am

Oh the Knicks wouldn't give you all three AND picks. Oh no. You'd get one of them along with Fournier, Toppin, Rose and other filler. They wouldn't treat Randle or Barrett as salary filler.
Then to your earlier point, running it back would be the better option for the Wolves. I think Thibs, to his credit, has sqeezed every ounce of potential out of that roster as its currently constructed and its hard to see their ceiling any higher than what we just saw. The Knicks need to shake things up and Randle might be one of the few players that is as disappointing as KAT in the playoffs!

BTW, It's aggravating as hell to see him win a playoff series with that Knicks roster while he couldn't take a roster with KAT, Wiggins, and Butler even past the first round....but that's besides the point.
Wolvesfan21

Post by Wolvesfan21 »

WildWolf2813 wrote: Mon May 15, 2023 10:41 am

Yeah I am asking for 4 first round picks. Otherwise no I don't do it either. I don't don't view Randle and Barrett highly and neither do Knicks fans. You want KAT then we need 4 1st rounders and Quickley. That was the point of the trade I made up. I included Conley going and then Fournier coming back though too. That gives them a great backup still and then gives us our starting PG.

I'm not sure if the Knicks would do the trade either though. That would be a lot of action for KAT who hasn't exactly done much in the playoffs either. But a swap in scenery could be good for KAT possibly. So just maybe they consider it.