2023-4 ROY race

Any And All Things T-Wolves Related
AbeVigodaLive

Re: 2023-4 ROY race

Post by AbeVigodaLive »

FNG wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2024 1:21 pm We're halfway through the season, and little has changed in the ROY race...Wemby continues to lead in the raw stats, and Chet dominates the advanced stats. I think we all know where this is going...the buzz around Wemby and his better raw stats are going to make him ROY. NBA.com has had him first the past four weeks. I think it's the wrong call though, because there is no question who has been the more effective player this year. But in addition to reputation, Wemby has the advantage of playing on a bad team...they need his offense so he is a focal point of it, while OkC doesn't really need Chet's. I'm not going to lose any sleep over this, especially since Chet is almost two years older. But I'm a homer and don't like to see "one of us" get screwed.

None of this changes my opinion that Wemby will have the better career...but that's not what the ROY award is supposed to be about.
To be fair... Wembanyama's advanced stats have improved significantly since the Spurs moved an actual PG (Tre Jones) on the court with him.
FNG

Re: 2023-4 ROY race

Post by FNG »

The ROY race changed considerably during February, and Wemby now is the clear favorite. Chet still looks better in many advanced stats, but a lot of that may have to do with Wemby having to carry the offense while Chet doesn't. Wemby is quickly learning the NBA game, and is living up to all the pre-draft hype. My God, he's averaging nearly 4 blocks a game his past 10 games!