Mavs at Wolves R3G2

Any And All Things T-Wolves Related
Lipoli390

Re: Mavs at Wolves R3G2

Post by Lipoli390 »

Some bad unbalanced officiating again in my view. Shameful.

But shame on our coaching staff for now challenging the foul call on Jaden last in the 4th. The replay showed that Jaden’s had was all ball with absolutely not arm or hand contact. Maybe there was some lower body contact, but not much. There were 3 minutes left in the game and we still had both our challenges. There’s no excuse for not using one of those challenges on that play.

Another thing that bothered me was Rudy repeatedly defending the paint with his hands at his side. Rudy just wasn’t a presence defensively tonight. Not acceptable.

But in the end, blame for this loss doesn’t fall on our coaching staff or Rudy. Our two best offensive players and only all-stars were a combined 9 for 33 or 27% from the field. That’s why we lost. Jaden was off but Naz came up huge. NAW was a bit better and Slo Mo did a nice job. Rudy was good enough. This was a game we should have won by 10 points but our two stars failed to come though. Again, I’ll cut Ant more slack than I’ll give KAT since Ant played more minutes and got to the line 10 times.

These past two games have confirmed three things in my mind:

1. The team with the two best players on the floor is almost always the team that wins Conference and NBA finals series. Luke has been far better than Edwards and Kyrie has been light years better than Towns. We have more depth and have gotten great performances from other guys like Jaden and Naz. But at this point in the playoffs, it’s all about your two best players. Jordan and Pippen were better than Stockton and Malone. Luka and Kyrie are much better right now than Edwards and Towns.

2. Edwards is 22 years old. Sometimes we forget how young he is. I my view, he just isn’t ready to be our Kobe or Dwayne Wade (he’ll never be as good as Jordan).

3. KAT has one of the lowest basketball IQs in the League and is mentally weak. He’s repeatedly had one-on-one matchups against smaller defenders just outside the paint, but has usually chosen to drive widely to the basket rather than put up the easy high-percentage 10-foot shot over the defender. Missing as many bunnies as he’s missing strikes me as choking.

The crowd was great again tonight as it was Wednesday night. They should have been rewarded with two wins, which is what we’d have now if Towns had simply hit a bad 35% of his FG attempts instead of 25-30%. And that’s with Ant playing poorly.

Wendell Moore was at it today - constantly laughing and walking from player to player talking or whispering in their ear with a big grin. Interestingly at one point he walked with big smile and started talking to Slo Mo who promptly glared and him and said something tersely that wiped the smile off Moore’s face. Moore than walked away and started laughing and joking with his buddies Miller and Clark. He carried on his antics all game long, including down the stretch when we’re fighting to win a razor close game.

I love that Minott won’t have anything to do with Moore on the bench. Minott would gather with his teammates around the coaches huddle with his arms around his teammates listening intently to the coaches. I like the idea of the Wolves sticking with him for the remainder of his contract. But Moore has to go and I’d send Clark and Miller packing with him.

I know I’ve been a broken record on Moore’s antics, but he’s taken Wes Johnson’s “I’m just here to have fun” attitude to a whole new level. It’s astounding. Winning teams have serious-minded, mentally tough high competitive players from the top to the bottom of their rosters. You can’t have a Moore doing what he’s been doing on the bench. I’ve noticed that Monte Morris has come into Moore’s “let’s laugh it up” orbit. It’s like spreading cancer. One reason I love Slo Mo is that he’s serious and hyper-competitive. So it wasn’t surprising to see him so visibly irritated by Moore tonight and It was great to watch him give Moore the brush off. Speaking of Slo Mo, at one point, Slo Mo was yelling at KAT for a screw up on the court. His criticism of KAT was well deserved at that moment. Of course, we remember him challenging Rudy last season, which lead to the Rudy retaliatory punch. :).

I expect the Mavs to sweep the Wolves with two wins in Dallas. So I’m sticking a fork in the Wolves and looking ahead to what the Wolves might do this off season. I’ve been pretty consistent lately in suggesting that the organization should bring this same team back next season. I’m beginning to question my position after watching the Wolves these past two games. However, improvement from Jaden and Ant next season could be enough to take us further. So I’m still thinking we should take one more shot with this core team minus Moore. And we should probably swap our 2024 first round pick for a future pick in either 2025 or 2027 when we don’t have any first-round picks.
Yosimar

Post by Yosimar »

Down 2-0 because out stars have disappeared in both games. Simple as that.
Crazysauce

Post by Crazysauce »

Call me crazy but I still think we win the series. I am hoping this is the wake up that we needed but should have been game 1. We have not played our best basketball. It's very worrisome to me the intensity level has not been where it needs to be. Like Lip Ibalso was frustrated with Rudy not even putting his arms up to contest shots. It's gut check time and really hope we don't roll over into the fetal position.

We lost this game more than Dallas won this game. You could see it. The refs really screwed us on a lit of calls. Most notably the full court pass which Conley was trying to intercept before being pushed in the back blatantly and in the open. It was not an excusable miss by the ref and cost us two points. Not to mention why the slow mo shot wasn't an and one. Then the foul on Jaden as well. The fact they can watch on replay and irving knew he fouled him and got no ball which is why he called for the review. To overturn which should have been McDaniels free throws and also give possession to Dallas to top it off is absurd. Funny thing is I have seen no shows even discuss it. Just gloss over it like the NBA likes to do.
Crazysauce

Post by Crazysauce »

Also forgot to discuss Ant. Since he took that really hard fall on his back in game 6 vs Denver he has looked very different. I wonder if he hurt himself more than he is letting on. He was down for a while and hasn't been good since then. I think the most frustrating part is knowing how good this team is; just letting opportunities slip.
Wolvesfan21

Post by Wolvesfan21 »

Lipoli390 wrote: Fri May 24, 2024 11:50 pm Some bad unbalanced officiating again in my view. Shameful.

But shame on our coaching staff for now challenging the foul call on Jaden last in the 4th. The replay showed that Jaden’s had was all ball with absolutely not arm or hand contact. Maybe there was some lower body contact, but not much. There were 3 minutes left in the game and we still had both our challenges. There’s no excuse for not using one of those challenges on that play.

Another thing that bothered me was Rudy repeatedly defending the paint with his hands at his side. Rudy just wasn’t a presence defensively tonight. Not acceptable.

But in the end, blame for this loss doesn’t fall on our coaching staff or Rudy. Our two best offensive players and only all-stars were a combined 9 for 33 or 27% from the field. That’s why we lost. Jaden was off but Naz came up huge. NAW was a bit better and Slo Mo did a nice job. Rudy was good enough. This was a game we should have won by 10 points but our two stars failed to come though. Again, I’ll cut Ant more slack than I’ll give KAT since Ant played more minutes and got to the line 10 times.

These past two games have confirmed three things in my mind:

1. The team with the two best players on the floor is almost always the team that wins Conference and NBA finals series. Luke has been far better than Edwards and Kyrie has been light years better than Towns. We have more depth and have gotten great performances from other guys like Jaden and Naz. But at this point in the playoffs, it’s all about your two best players. Jordan and Pippen were better than Stockton and Malone. Luka and Kyrie are much better right now than Edwards and Towns.

2. Edwards is 22 years old. Sometimes we forget how young he is. I my view, he just isn’t ready to be our Kobe or Dwayne Wade (he’ll never be as good as Jordan).

3. KAT has one of the lowest basketball IQs in the League and is mentally weak. He’s repeatedly had one-on-one matchups against smaller defenders just outside the paint, but has usually chosen to drive widely to the basket rather than put up the easy high-percentage 10-foot shot over the defender. Missing as many bunnies as he’s missing strikes me as choking.

The crowd was great again tonight as it was Wednesday night. They should have been rewarded with two wins, which is what we’d have now if Towns had simply hit a bad 35% of his FG attempts instead of 25-30%. And that’s with Ant playing poorly.

Wendell Moore was at it today - constantly laughing and walking from player to player talking or whispering in their ear with a big grin. Interestingly at one point he walked with big smile and started talking to Slo Mo who promptly glared and him and said something tersely that wiped the smile off Moore’s face. Moore than walked away and started laughing and joking with his buddies Miller and Clark. He carried on his antics all game long, including down the stretch when we’re fighting to win a razor close game.

I love that Minott won’t have anything to do with Moore on the bench. Minott would gather with his teammates around the coaches huddle with his arms around his teammates listening intently to the coaches. I like the idea of the Wolves sticking with him for the remainder of his contract. But Moore has to go and I’d send Clark and Miller packing with him.

I know I’ve been a broken record on Moore’s antics, but he’s taken Wes Johnson’s “I’m just here to have fun” attitude to a whole new level. It’s astounding. Winning teams have serious-minded, mentally tough high competitive players from the top to the bottom of their rosters. You can’t have a Moore doing what he’s been doing on the bench. I’ve noticed that Monte Morris has come into Moore’s “let’s laugh it up” orbit. It’s like spreading cancer. One reason I love Slo Mo is that he’s serious and hyper-competitive. So it wasn’t surprising to see him so visibly irritated by Moore tonight and It was great to watch him give Moore the brush off. Speaking of Slo Mo, at one point, Slo Mo was yelling at KAT for a screw up on the court. His criticism of KAT was well deserved at that moment. Of course, we remember him challenging Rudy last season, which lead to the Rudy retaliatory punch. :).

I expect the Mavs to sweep the Wolves with two wins in Dallas. So I’m sticking a fork in the Wolves and looking ahead to what the Wolves might do this off season. I’ve been pretty consistent lately in suggesting that the organization should bring this same team back next season. I’m beginning to question my position after watching the Wolves these past two games. However, improvement from Jaden and Ant next season could be enough to take us further. So I’m still thinking we should take one more shot with this core team minus Moore. And we should probably swap our 2024 first round pick for a future pick in either 2025 or 2027 when we don’t have any first-round picks.
Dallas has played very poorly these first two games giving us a chance with our role players (Naz and Jaden playing highlight games of their lives).

Ant has been doubled of course and he's simply not good enough to cut through, around or make a quick enough or good enough pass to punish the defense and when he does we often miss too many of the open 3's of late. I don't think Ant is quite mentally up to it (winning this series). He doesn't look like he did in the first two series. KAT looks mentally weak also too often in this series (feels like the stage is too big for him). Rudy has been slow to rebound and defend by younger and more athletic bigs by the Mavs. Our wings can't keep Irving or Doncic from the paint either. Jaden does his best but Luka is just too good and strong.

I think even if the refs didn't take this one for Dallas they still win in 5 or 6. I'm with you. It's an easy sweep. Nice season Wolves. At least we are not a laughing stock anymore. I was hoping for more but like you said, our stars can't handle it. Too weak.
KiwiMatt

Post by KiwiMatt »

It's hard not to see this as completely wasted opportunity. Home advantage against a 5th seed Dallas in WCF with a clearly hobbled Luka Doncic and we miss a golden opportunity to go 2 - 0 or at least 1 - 1. I'm beyond disappointed, I'm disgusted. 20 years since we were last in this situation and they blow it. This was our best chance EVER to make the finals.

Outside of Naz they collectively sucked tonight.

Gobert was terrible on defense, didn't contest shots and was caught in two minds everytime a Dallas player attacked the hoop. Light years from how well he played vs Phoenix. You can blame the porous perimeter defense, but quite often he wasn't guarding anyone and had no excuse not to contest the shot. His bad hands have once again been on full display these last two games.

KAT's shooting has been a major factor in these last two games and quite frankly I've seen enough of him in a Timberwolves jersey. His defense has definitely improved this season, but come playoffs he forgots how to score. 10 from 36 field goals is inexcusable from the so called ''greatest big man shooter of all time''. As i mentioned earlier in the gamethread I suspect paying KAT 50 mil a season for the next 5 years will severley hamper this franchise and Ants time here. I just can't see us winning a Championship with such a low IQ player sucking up so much of salary cap.

Ant doesn't seem himself. Whether the bright lights are too much or he has some sort of injury / illness we don't know about, somethings not quite right. He is clearly fatigued physically but what's more concerning is he seems mentally exhausted. The turnover at the end summed it up really. He is only 22, but this was a golden opportunity for him to really cement himself as a bonafide superstar and these last two games he has failed badly and been well and truly outclassed by Luka and Kyrie. Hopefully he'll be better for it.

NAW has missed his last 11 3pt shots. But what's most concerning is how badly he's missing them. They're not 'in and out' misses they are BAD misses which often leads to not chance of an offensive board. He still plays hard, but we needed him to shoot better than 30% from 3pt these playoffs, especially these last two games. Hitting ONE of those shots could have been the difference in both these games.

On another note you have to be at awe of Luka Doncic. Just an incredible talent.
rapsuperstar31

Post by rapsuperstar31 »

We've looked basically the same as OKC did against Dallas, unable to get shots at the rim and unable to stop the lobs to Lively and Gafford. The only difference is SGA is so good from the midrange that he was still able to get tough shots in to win two games, and Ant isn't taking any of the midrange shots before he gets in to the weeds. He needs to be quicker going down hill, stop on a dime and take the pull up midrange. OKC is young so it makes sense for them to struggle in the big moments, Rudy, Kat, and Mike are not young and making mistakes in this series.
FNG

Post by FNG »

Wolvesfan21 wrote: Fri May 24, 2024 10:25 pm
WildWolf2813 wrote: Fri May 24, 2024 10:21 pm
Wolvesfan21 wrote: Fri May 24, 2024 10:19 pm

We should have had the ball or shot free throws. Not sure we were in the bonus or not. Either way, we deserved a shot and were robbed. Not saying we for sure win. But they did effect the game. If I were the Wolves I wouldn't even show up to Dallas. Just go home in protest. :lol:
That's one of those reviews where the call was correct, but they missed a foul call so they shoulda just let us keep possession

So far we can't buy a review call.
The NBA has to be run by the biggest idiots to ever be alive. To review a call but NOT be able to get it correct? You can't make it up.
But isn't it exactly the same in the NFL? If a team challenges a ruling- say the spot of the ball- and the refs see an obvious missed holding call, they can't call the hold. I think I agree with Van Gundy that reviews should encompass everything that happened on the play, but let's acknowledge it happens in football too. Also, while you can challenge a foul call, you can't challenge a "non call". So the refs hands were tied in this instance for two reasons. Was it the right call? Nope, and I'm fairly certain we will see it as a missed call on the 2-minute report later today. Review rules in all sports are a controversial topic, and we'll probably see some changes in the future.
Monster

Post by Monster »

This game was more disappointing loss than game 1 partly because now we are down 2 and partly because it felt like the Wolves had this game and then they didn't.

I don't know why the NBA hasn't changed that review rule. van Gundy said it best if you are going to have those reviews get the call right or what is the point? That's not the only reason why the Wolves lost but it was a big call. At the very least make that a jump ball.

Can the Wolves figure out how to stop all those lobs? Maybe they are relatively ok giving up some of those. Still it feels like the Wolves D can be better.

I'm gonna shout out Kyle Anderson. Dude has been balling on the offensive end and the Wolves are down 0-2.

Derrick Jones Jr is on a vet min contract starting for a team in the WCF.

I'm not feeling good about this series but it's not over. They have lost the first 2 games by a combined 4 points and I believe the Wolves are a very good team. Do I expect them to win this series? No but I also have more than just a sliver of hope they can do it.
FNG

Post by FNG »

Lip, I enjoy your bird's eye view of what is happening on the bench. Moore Jr. also pisses me off, and I'm not surprised that an intense competitor like SloMo got in his face last night. I also want him gone next year, but it's too early to make a similar decision about Clark.

Jokic may be the best basketball player in the world, so Denver had the best player in the semifinals. But we overcame that and beat the champs. But now we have to overcome a team that has the two best players, and that's a very difficult thing to overcome-especially with our "best" players not giving us anything near their best performance. We can still win this, but it's going to be tough.

Dallas's centers making 14 out of 16 shots (all dunks maybe?) killed us tonight. Dallas has two players with an extraordinary ability to make the right pass at the right time. How many of their combined 19 assists resulted in dunks? Certainly most of them.

I've often said that great defense will prevail in the playoffs, but in this series we have the two best defenses in the Association- and since the mid-season moves, the Mavericks have been the best defensive team. And it shows with what they are doing to us. Ant is going to struggle all series with Jones Jr. hounding him, and the 2-headed monster inside is frustrating us also. Conversely, our elite defense hasn't figured out how to stop the Mav's incredible ability to create easy dunks. We actually got worse in defending the rim in Game 2 despite our coaching staff's demonstrated ability to make the kind of adjustments needed to stop the other team. I'm not giving up yet (although I'm getting closer), and I am confident (hopeful?) we will see some moves to counter the dunking machine.