2024 NBA Draft Day One GDT

Any And All Things T-Wolves Related
Monster

Re: 2024 NBA Draft Day One GDT

Post by Monster »

Q-is-here wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2024 10:20 pm
Monster wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2024 10:07 pm
Q-is-here wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2024 9:51 pm

Conley gets targeted late in the playoffs. Trae Young has been targeted since he played in the summer league, lol! I can't say that's the reason their teams didn't make the Finals, but their defensive vulnerability is a factor.

I just can't remember in recent history a team where the starting PG was (somewhat) short AND slight. Lowry with Toronto was short, but built like a tank and a dog defensively. Murray, Curry, Irving....none of those guys are or were great defenders, but they built their frames up and have enough physicality to at least compete at that end.

IDK...Billingham is still a young dude. Hopefully he can put on more muscle.

(BTW, is that Andrew McCarthy they keep showing on the ESPN feed?).
Curry was pretty slight coming out of college and...he wasn't a 19 year old college freshman. I think I read an article that coach Cal said Dillingham had put on weight like around 20 lbs coming into college. With Curry it wasn't just about adding weight but it was getting stronger especially his base. His ankles were a legit worry and he found what he needed to do to stay healthy and end up being a pretty strong guy for his size and it likely helped his offense as well. Obviously that's more of an outlier but yeah.
Yes, Curry was slight coming out of college, but still bigger than what Dillingham is now. And if he's already put on 20 lbs., may be it'll be tougher to put on the next 20, which is about how much more weight he needs!

IDK...hate to be so nit-picky about a guy so damn talented, but if we think he's the future starting PG for a Finals type team, I'm just not there yet. Offensively, there is no question he has a ton of potential.
It's extra tough since I'm guessing a lot of folks didn't even really have this guy on their radar. It's fair to question this guy's size I'm also skeptical of the pick for that reason. Heck I was skeptical when it was the Spurs pick although a big-time scoring guard sounded good next to Wemby plus it would be funny seeing them next to each other!!! Lol

Again if this guy is a legit high level scorer and 3 point shooter man that can be so valuable even if he isn't a good defender. I'll also point out that Trae Young as a 3 point shooter by percentage is...I don't know how exactly to categorize him but it's not anywhere near elite. It gets even worse in the playoffs. If Young was shooting even like 37% from 3 in the playoffs instead of around 30%...that's a big difference especially considering the volume he takes them. Let's say Dillingham is making 40% of 3's even on a lower volume that's something the Wolves have needed for so many years. Did we actually draft an elite shooter!? Are we allowed to do that? Lol
60WinTim

Post by 60WinTim »

Q-is-here wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2024 10:22 pm
60WinTim wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2024 10:18 pm Welp, there goes the Scheierman dream, although I doubt we would have gone with a wing again...
But who else plays SF on the Wolves?? I know Ant can slide down when he's playing with NAW and one of the PGs, but we really don't have a sweet-shooting wing on this roster. And SloMo is better at PF, so he was out of position when he came in for Jaden.
Yeah, the roster is gonna be interesting. I still see Monte as a lock to re-sign. Who knows if and when Dilly will be able to contribute next year. But it's not a stretch to think Shannon could contribute, and even be ahead of Minott and/or Miller.

Anyway, we just filled two more roster spots with Dilly and Shannon, and you might as well give a spot to Monte. That's 13 spots taken! And I doubt we fill all 15 spots, which means there is only one more spot to fill. It could be SloMo if they come to an agreement. But they may want someone a little bigger. Our 2nd rounder tomorrow would be a sure-fire two-way contract, so we'll see what position that turns out to be.
Monster

Post by Monster »

Coolbreeze44 wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2024 10:24 pm Imagine being able to trade your first round pick 7 years down the road for a top 10 pick every year. I'd be down with that.
It depends on who was available when you are making the move and the organization that's doing it but yeah I'm down with it.
KG4Ever

Post by KG4Ever »

Coolbreeze44 wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2024 10:24 pm Imagine being able to trade your first round pick 7 years down the road for a top 10 pick every year. I'd be down with that.
I can't imagine that as you can only do that every other year per NBA Stepien Rule. Plus, this year was considered pretty weak at the top, so the price of a lottery pick in 2026 is likely to go up.
KG4Ever

Post by KG4Ever »

How soon can we cut Moore? I assume his only value now is as a tradable asset (not that anyone would want him but to match salary). Do we keep him around just for trade purposes?
Phenom

Post by Phenom »

KG4Ever wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2024 10:34 pm
I can't imagine that as you can only do that every other year per NBA Stepien Rule. Plus, this year was considered pretty weak at the top, so the price of a lottery pick in 2026 is likely to go up.
Lottery ticket picks are all the rage nowadays. This could be the path that all these 2nd apron teams utilize once or twice to keep the party going. Just keep juicing the Ant era.
Q-is-here

Post by Q-is-here »

Monster wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2024 10:32 pm
Monster wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2024 10:07 pm

Curry was pretty slight coming out of college and...he wasn't a 19 year old college freshman. I think I read an article that coach Cal said Dillingham had put on weight like around 20 lbs coming into college. With Curry it wasn't just about adding weight but it was getting stronger especially his base. His ankles were a legit worry and he found what he needed to do to stay healthy and end up being a pretty strong guy for his size and it likely helped his offense as well. Obviously that's more of an outlier but yeah.
Yes, Curry was slight coming out of college, but still bigger than what Dillingham is now. And if he's already put on 20 lbs., may be it'll be tougher to put on the next 20, which is about how much more weight he needs!

IDK...hate to be so nit-picky about a guy so damn talented, but if we think he's the future starting PG for a Finals type team, I'm just not there yet. Offensively, there is no question he has a ton of potential.
It's extra tough since I'm guessing a lot of folks didn't even really have this guy on their radar. It's fair to question this guy's size I'm also skeptical of the pick for that reason. Heck I was skeptical when it was the Spurs pick although a big-time scoring guard sounded good next to Wemby plus it would be funny seeing them next to each other!!! Lol

Again if this guy is a legit high level scorer and 3 point shooter man that can be so valuable even if he isn't a good defender. I'll also point out that Trae Young as a 3 point shooter by percentage is...I don't know how exactly to categorize him but it's not anywhere near elite. It gets even worse in the playoffs. If Young was shooting even like 37% from 3 in the playoffs instead of around 30%...that's a big difference especially considering the volume he takes them. Let's say Dillingham is making 40% of 3's even on a lower volume that's something the Wolves have needed for so many years. Did we actually draft an elite shooter!? Are we allowed to do that? Lol
Well, perimeter bench scoring is certainly a big need, as is shooting, so if he can be our version of Malik Monk or Lou Williams eventually, that's still a damn good player and someone that can certainly contribute in a playoff run. May be him and Clark can be our backup guards in '25-26???

I'm just skeptical about him being Conley's heir apparent at starting PG.
Monster

Post by Monster »

60WinTim wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2024 10:32 pm
Q-is-here wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2024 10:22 pm
60WinTim wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2024 10:18 pm Welp, there goes the Scheierman dream, although I doubt we would have gone with a wing again...
But who else plays SF on the Wolves?? I know Ant can slide down when he's playing with NAW and one of the PGs, but we really don't have a sweet-shooting wing on this roster. And SloMo is better at PF, so he was out of position when he came in for Jaden.
Yeah, the roster is gonna be interesting. I still see Monte as a lock to re-sign. Who knows if and when Dilly will be able to contribute next year. But it's not a stretch to think Shannon could contribute, and even be ahead of Minott and/or Miller.

Anyway, we just filled two more roster spots with Dilly and Shannon, and you might as well give a spot to Monte. That's 13 spots taken! And I doubt we fill all 15 spots, which means there is only one more spot to fill. It could be SloMo if they come to an agreement. But they may want someone a little bigger. Our 2nd rounder tomorrow would be a sure-fire two-way contract, so we'll see what position that turns out to be.
Tim I think at #37 I don't think that guy signs a 2-way deal. It seems like guys in the 30's or even in the low 40's are basically treated like late 1st round picks/signed to Gupta specials. I think if the Wolves want to draft someone to sign to a 2-way deal they may need to trade down and add a future 2nd etc.

I think Anderson looked good defensively at SF. Based on 82 games.com the problem was he was overall unproductive offensively when he player there but I would guess that may have been partly due to him playing more there earlier in the season when he wasn't as good. Shannon doesn't have massive length at SF but it's decent and he is 220lbs. Not every team has a bigger guy playing that spot. Just to compare he is the same height as Troy Brown Jr and I think inch and a half less in wingspan. Brown just played bigger though Shannon didn't put up big rebounding numbers in college. Of course Q isn't going to want to be relying on a rookie for rotation minutes right away which I don't disagree with.
Coolbreeze44

Post by Coolbreeze44 »

Terrance Shannon is older than both Ant and Jaden.
Monster

Post by Monster »

Q-is-here wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2024 10:41 pm
Monster wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2024 10:32 pm

Well, perimeter bench scoring is certainly a big need, as is shooting, so if he can be our version of Malik Monk or Lou Williams eventually, that's still a damn good player and someone that can certainly contribute in a playoff run. May be him and Clark can be our backup guards in '25-26???

I'm just skeptical about him being Conley's heir apparent at starting PG.
The other question is his playmaking. I'm gonna watch a couple games and see what he did there. His assist numbers are far from shabby. Going back to Curry one of the reasons he ended up being drafted so high was he grew into a legit PG in college instead of just a shooter/scorer. Having Conley and possibly Monte Morris to learn from can't hurt. Like you said a Monk or Lou type player is pretty valuable. Imagine having a guy like that in the playoffs this season? The Wolves could have used some juice like that for sure. There were times they just weren't getting enough buckets.