2024 NBA Draft Day Two GDT

Any And All Things T-Wolves Related
FNG

Re: 2024 NBA Draft Day Two GDT

Post by FNG »

kekgeek wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2024 12:12 pm Minnesota is trading Wendell Moore Jr. and the No. 37 pick in today's Day 2 of NBA draft to Detroit, sources say.

Wolves receive pick 53
Lip is going to miss him on the bench.

I have few goals in life, but number 4 on my list is:

-never suck at my job so much that my employer has to pay someone to get rid of me.

So long, delly…we’ll miss your smile.
Carlos Danger

Post by Carlos Danger »

kekgeek wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2024 12:12 pm Minnesota is trading Wendell Moore Jr. and the No. 37 pick in today's Day 2 of NBA draft to Detroit, sources say.

Wolves receive pick 53
Huh. I guess that is the very definition of negative value. We trade away a player AND move down in round two? Weird times.

https://www.si.com/nba/pistons/news/det ... j1dbe29xye
WildWolf2813

Post by WildWolf2813 »

Carlos Danger wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2024 12:32 pm

Wolves receive pick 53
Huh. I guess that is the very definition of negative value. We trade away a player AND move down in round two? Weird times.

https://www.si.com/nba/pistons/news/det ... j1dbe29xye
saves us some money.

Look, TC whiffed on Moore. at least he realized it, cut his losses and moved on.

Now draft a project center
Carlos Danger

Post by Carlos Danger »

WildWolf2813 wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2024 12:37 pm
saves us some money.

Look, TC whiffed on Moore. at least he realized it, cut his losses and moved on.

Now draft a project center
I guess. But it feels like a double whammy to me. Actually make that a triple whammy.

Whammy 1 - we traded up to get Moore (I think it cost us two 2nd rounders?)
Whammy 2 - we whiffed on the Moore pick itself - ok, it happens.
Whammy 3 - by offloading him, it drops us down significantly in this year 2nd round

It is what it is. TC must take the bad with the good.
Monster

Post by Monster »

Well that sucked having to move a valuable pick that we kinda lucked into to dump Moore which I was really wrong on. Of course there were some other guards this board wanted that got dumped even faster. Moore as a young guy didn't really have much of a spot left on the roster. They have a PG of the future and they added a wing in Shannon.

So now can Connelly find some gold with hat later pick? It's also more likely they can sign that player to a 2-way deal as well which could have value.

It also opens up a roster spot for someone else although the Wolves could have simply released Moore but this will save quite a bit of money over just releasing him. This would be a little more upsetting but they just traded up into the top 10 a few hours ago. If they want to save a quite a few dollars I guess I can live with it.
KG4Ever

Post by KG4Ever »

My preferences of guys that might be there at 53:

Dante N'Faly
Mogbu (probably gone)
Freeman
KJ Simpson (probably gone)
Bona
Bronny
Monster

Post by Monster »

If Connelly finds and NBA player at #53 (or some undrafted guy we bring to SL) that will be outstanding (considering the circumstances) and we will mostly forget the Moore mistake.

A big does sound kinda interesting or a forward since we really don't have another bigger SF after McDaniels. Anderson is a FA and Minott is mostly an unknown and not proven.
Lipoli390

Post by Lipoli390 »

I've course I'm thrilled Moore is gone. But I still see this move as a head-scratcher unless we also received a future 2nd round pick in return as part of this deal.We had enough roster spots to absorb Rob and Terrence. We could have used a 2-way contract to sign #37.

In his press conference TC said they still have 4 first-round rated guys on their board following end of the first round. Hmm? We didn't really need Moore's roster spot. If we really needed that roster spot or needed to get rid of his Wes Johnson toxicity to team culture, it would have been far more sensible just to cut him. Having his salary on the books for one more season would have a relatively minimal financial impact. Maybe there's more to this deal.
rapsuperstar31

Post by rapsuperstar31 »

Dane Moore
@DaneMooreNBA
By replacing Wendell Moore Jr.'s $2.537M contract with a veteran minimum contract ($2.1M), the Wolves will save about $450k in salary -- which will also save them a couple million in luxury tax payments dependent on how far above the tax they finish the season out at.

But if they replace him with the No. 53 pick and sign that rookie to a rookie league minimum ($1.1M) they will save millions more.

This is a cost-cutting move.
WildWolf2813

Post by WildWolf2813 »

Lipoli390 wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2024 2:00 pm I've course I'm thrilled Moore is gone. But I still see this move as a head-scratcher unless we also received a future 2nd round pick in return as part of this deal.We had enough roster spots to absorb Rob and Terrence. We could have used a 2-way contract to sign #37.

In his press conference TC said they still have 4 first-round rated guys on their board following end of the first round. Hmm? We didn't really need Moore's roster spot. If we really needed that roster spot or needed to get rid of his Wes Johnson toxicity to team culture, it would have been far more sensible just to cut him. Having his salary on the books for one more season would have a relatively minimal financial impact. Maybe there's more to this deal.
Trading him instead of waiving him saved them $8 mil I think.

It was all about dumping salary and cutting losses. Moore wasn't gonna fetch anything considering we moved down.