2024 NBA Draft Day Two GDT

Any And All Things T-Wolves Related
Lipoli390

Re: 2024 NBA Draft Day Two GDT

Post by Lipoli390 »

Maybe this was a message to the other young guys - Miller and Clark - who were joining Moore's clown show on the bench. Message: If you can't take your job and teammates seriously for 48 minutes a night, then you're worthless.
BloopOracle

Post by BloopOracle »

A bit lame to see a cost cutting move, but it's still dwarfed by the money Glen agreed to pay for last night's big move.
WildWolf2813

Post by WildWolf2813 »

Lipoli390 wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2024 2:07 pm Maybe this was a message to the other young guys - Miller and Clark - who were joining Moore's clown show on the bench. Message: If you can't take your job and teammates seriously for 48 minutes a night, then you're worthless.
I don't watch their bench night in and night out, so I can't speak to how Moore was around his teammates.

I don't think any of that mattered. If he was good they woulda dealt with it. Clark has yet to play an NBA game. If he defends the way he did in college, he won't have many losses to sit and laugh through. If Miller gets it together defensively, he won't be on the bench laughing. He'll be replacing Naz Reid as the 6th man (he's been under Reid's wing). Miller didn't even get consideration to get extended time because he was lazy on defense in the G-League. That's worse than chuckling on the bench. From a talent standpoint, he's shown flashes. Josh Minott has enough fire to burn down Chicago. He doesn't extended PT because he's clumsy. Moore coulda been the nicest soul (and some around the team have said that in light of the trade). He's not here anymore because he sucked. Maybe his attitude made it easier to part with him, but he showed nothing.
Lipoli390

Post by Lipoli390 »

WildWolf2813 wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2024 2:04 pm
Lipoli390 wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2024 2:00 pm I've course I'm thrilled Moore is gone. But I still see this move as a head-scratcher unless we also received a future 2nd round pick in return as part of this deal.We had enough roster spots to absorb Rob and Terrence. We could have used a 2-way contract to sign #37.

In his press conference TC said they still have 4 first-round rated guys on their board following end of the first round. Hmm? We didn't really need Moore's roster spot. If we really needed that roster spot or needed to get rid of his Wes Johnson toxicity to team culture, it would have been far more sensible just to cut him. Having his salary on the books for one more season would have a relatively minimal financial impact. Maybe there's more to this deal.
Trading him instead of waiving him saved them $8 mil I think.

It was all about dumping salary and cutting losses. Moore wasn't gonna fetch anything considering we moved down.
Dane wrote that we're saving a couple million in tax payments by trading Moore and filling his roster spot with a vet minimum guy. That sounds about right. Signing a #53 pick rather than a #37 pick doesn't save much. I don't think the savings is $8 million. It's probably $3-4 million. Even if it's $8 million, that's trivial relative to the full luxury tax payment and it's a rounding error relative to the entire team payroll+tax. So I can't see the merit in this deal as a financial move that's significantly better than just waiving Moore. So I'm still thinking there might be more to the Moore deal. :)

But I'm quibbling. This move today is trivial relative to what TC did yesterday. And I'm thrilled that Moore's Wes Johnson toxicity is gone.
60WinTim

Post by 60WinTim »

Moore's roster spot was a problem. 10 guys under contract, 2 first round picks need to be signed, and it seems they really hope to get Monte, SloMo and Garza back. That would be 16 roster spots if Moore was still here.

Monster said most early 2nd round picks actually get roster spots, which the Wolves simply do not have. But pick #53 is easily a 2-way player.
60WinTim

Post by 60WinTim »

Two bigs, Mogbo and Filipowski, are the first two picks off the board. The guys we might have liked at 37 may not have been there anyway...
Phenom

Post by Phenom »

I'm not feeling this studio draft. I can't imagine the draftees enjoy it much.
Porckchop

Post by Porckchop »

Why is SAS commenting ( yelling really)on college players he’s never even heard of? What could he possibly have to say about Filipkowski going to the Utah Jazz? We all know Smith has never watched a minute of Jazz basketball. And we know he don’t care about white athletes. 😂

Also,this is the first year where I sat and thought “
Wow all these young players look like they could be in middle school.” A lot of baby faces.
Last edited by Porckchop on Thu Jun 27, 2024 3:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
60WinTim

Post by 60WinTim »

Klintmen, a big, goes to Detroit at #37. I had looked him up, and didn't see anything worthwhile there.

If Freeman falls to #53... BOOM!
Monster

Post by Monster »

I forgot the draft had already restarted this afternoon.

Maybe the Wolves opened up a roster spot so they could sign James Wiseman. Lol