2024 Wolves Free Agency

Any And All Things T-Wolves Related
Monster

Re: 2024 Wolves Free Agency

Post by Monster »

Lipoli390 wrote: Sun Jun 30, 2024 11:56 am
Monster wrote: Sun Jun 30, 2024 11:12 am
rapsuperstar31 wrote: Sun Jun 30, 2024 10:29 am

Agreed. The Wolves made the Dillingham trade because it was the only way they could bring in an impact point guard with the salary cap situation not being able to sign someone to more than the vet min. If the Wolves truly do not care about the luxury tax this season, you can sign Morris or Anderson for more than the vet min, and use their salary at the trade deadline to trade later if we need to make a change. It would be the only way possible to have a tradable asset at the deadline outside of trading someone like Naz or Mike.
It's clear to me the Wolves to care somewhat about how much this team will cost next year and that's fair. The Moore deal was clearly a salary dump. They aren't gonna give Anderson and Morris whatever they want or maybe even the highest offer they get. I think both guys likely understand the value of coming back to a good team. I don't think either guy is gonna get a ton of money and I think Lip laid out exactly what I think in terms of salary expectations. If Morris has a bounce back season he could be quite the bargain so maybe some team banks on that and offers a 1 year deal for something like 5-7 million. I could see the Wolves being willing to give him a deal that guarantees 5 million this season. Like Lip I'm not sure how much they are going to want to guarantee for those guys past this season unless it's really cheap but again that limited them sending out salaries inna deal. I think both Morris and Anderson likely know that Connelly will also try to do right by them if he did deal them and not send them to Detroit or something although Morris is from there but has been there done that. Lol
You’re right, Monster — the Wolves must have some limit on how much they’re willing to spend on these two guys. And I think we both agree that neither one will command a salary in the marketplace that puts them above that unknown threshold. We’re both seeing the only potential snag is a second year guarantee. I’m not sure the Wolves will be willing to guarantee a second year to either player and that’s something another team might offer to entice them away. But if the salary is as reasonable as I expect it to be, then both players will be pretty easily moved for some value in return after next season.
Connelly has been careful and savvy about how many years and how much money he has given players in FA. Yes Shake Milton was a total bust but it was only 1 year and combined with Brown Jr they made up enough salary to trade for a vet. He is gonna be careful this off-season too. It seems like it would be easy to offload one of those guys signed cheaply but look at Reggie Jackson for the Nuggets. They gave him 5 million for a 2 year and paid to get rid of him.

Speaking of the Nuggets if I was a Denver fan I would be worried. They lost Bruce Brown last year and May lose KCP this off-season and also need a backup guard with Jackson gone. They have some young guys that might be ready but Brown and KCP are two pretty valuable players from their championship run. It's not going to be easy to replace them. The Wolves should learn from that. They may not want to let Anderson go maybe they even take a big hit this year and give him more for one season to not have to pay him next year. I know that money compounds being where they are with the luxury tax but if it keeps them out later it may be worth it.

Let's say Anderson gets an offer he can't refuse. If Troy Brown Jr is available I'm calling offering a pretty decent role and a vet min salary. TJ Warren is another option. He didn't make shots last year but he looked like he knew how to play and fit in well. He might be had for a partially guaranteed vet min. Hopefully there would be better options but those might not be terrible. They would be an obvious drop off from Kyle Anderson though.
KG4Ever

Post by KG4Ever »

Monster wrote: Sun Jun 30, 2024 9:00 am
KG4Ever wrote: Sat Jun 29, 2024 7:01 pm .6
Monster wrote: Sat Jun 29, 2024 6:33 pm KG im genuinely curious what exactly made TyTy's g-league season "very impressive"? Statistically it looks like he did fine but nothing that amazing. I'm not against signing him but is there something I'm missing?
He made 2.8 triples on 42.6%. Even though his scoring dropped from 26.6 to 21.3, he scored much more efficiently (46.7%) than his first year in G League. His assists were 8.3 per game and his turnovers 2.4. Assist to Turnover was about 3.5 which is excellent and much improved. His rebounds and steals dipped from his first year but they are still decent 4.2 rebounds, 1.1 steals, his plus/minus surged to 5.4 per game. He's a Kentucky guard like RD and I like the school's success rate for guards. He has a 6"8 wingspan. He's a free agent but on a two-way with Milwaukee. So I think we might only be able to sign him to a regular contract as I think Milwaukee has his two way rights.
Trust me it’s happened to me plenty of times but you didn’t look at all the g-league games played for TyTy. If you just look at his regular season stats then oh yeah that a heck of a season but click and do the regular season and showcase games to get all his G-league stats combined. Unfortunately he did not fare as well in the showcase games overall.
OK, I see that now. I had to go to RealGM to find Schowcase stats. You are right, not quite so impressive with those games factored in. Although, an optimist might say that the good stats came after the bad stats, so he showed improvement. :D
60WinTim

Post by 60WinTim »

Finally! Some breaking Wolves news!

Jaden and Allison had a kid: Mekhi McDaniels. They didn't give the measurables... ;)
BloopOracle

Post by BloopOracle »

Sounds like Morris coming back is a long shot, not happy with the Dillingham pick. So be it!
60WinTim

Post by 60WinTim »

BloopOracle wrote: Sun Jun 30, 2024 7:27 pm Sounds like Morris coming back is a long shot, not happy with the Dillingham pick. So be it!
Where did you see this?
60WinTim

Post by 60WinTim »

60WinTim wrote: Sun Jun 30, 2024 7:32 pm
BloopOracle wrote: Sun Jun 30, 2024 7:27 pm Sounds like Morris coming back is a long shot, not happy with the Dillingham pick. So be it!
Where did you see this?
Ahh... I see it was a Doogie bone.
kekgeek

Post by kekgeek »

Hearing Minnesota has some interest in Joe Ingles who shot 43.5% from 3 this season. Veteran ball handler who can shoot it well. Has ties with Conley and Gobert from Utah.

-Evan Porter
Lipoli390

Post by Lipoli390 »

Batum opted out. Maybe we can get him here on a vet minimum.
Lipoli390

Post by Lipoli390 »

60WinTim wrote: Sun Jun 30, 2024 7:35 pm
60WinTim wrote: Sun Jun 30, 2024 7:32 pm
Where did you see this?
Ahh... I see it was a Doogie bone.
lol. Reminds me of Doogie’s report that the Wolves were going to draft Payne a few minutes before they drafted LaVine. :). If Morris doesn’t re-sign, Doogie will claim that as something he got a scoop on. If Morris does re-sign, then it will just enlarge his already long list of misreports. Truth is, Doogie doesn’t “report.” He simply speculates as any of us would.
Lipoli390

Post by Lipoli390 »

Monster wrote: Sun Jun 30, 2024 1:30 pm
Lipoli390 wrote: Sun Jun 30, 2024 11:56 am
Monster wrote: Sun Jun 30, 2024 11:12 am

It's clear to me the Wolves to care somewhat about how much this team will cost next year and that's fair. The Moore deal was clearly a salary dump. They aren't gonna give Anderson and Morris whatever they want or maybe even the highest offer they get. I think both guys likely understand the value of coming back to a good team. I don't think either guy is gonna get a ton of money and I think Lip laid out exactly what I think in terms of salary expectations. If Morris has a bounce back season he could be quite the bargain so maybe some team banks on that and offers a 1 year deal for something like 5-7 million. I could see the Wolves being willing to give him a deal that guarantees 5 million this season. Like Lip I'm not sure how much they are going to want to guarantee for those guys past this season unless it's really cheap but again that limited them sending out salaries inna deal. I think both Morris and Anderson likely know that Connelly will also try to do right by them if he did deal them and not send them to Detroit or something although Morris is from there but has been there done that. Lol
You’re right, Monster — the Wolves must have some limit on how much they’re willing to spend on these two guys. And I think we both agree that neither one will command a salary in the marketplace that puts them above that unknown threshold. We’re both seeing the only potential snag is a second year guarantee. I’m not sure the Wolves will be willing to guarantee a second year to either player and that’s something another team might offer to entice them away. But if the salary is as reasonable as I expect it to be, then both players will be pretty easily moved for some value in return after next season.
Connelly has been careful and savvy about how many years and how much money he has given players in FA. Yes Shake Milton was a total bust but it was only 1 year and combined with Brown Jr they made up enough salary to trade for a vet. He is gonna be careful this off-season too. It seems like it would be easy to offload one of those guys signed cheaply but look at Reggie Jackson for the Nuggets. They gave him 5 million for a 2 year and paid to get rid of him.

Speaking of the Nuggets if I was a Denver fan I would be worried. They lost Bruce Brown last year and May lose KCP this off-season and also need a backup guard with Jackson gone. They have some young guys that might be ready but Brown and KCP are two pretty valuable players from their championship run. It's not going to be easy to replace them. The Wolves should learn from that. They may not want to let Anderson go maybe they even take a big hit this year and give him more for one season to not have to pay him next year. I know that money compounds being where they are with the luxury tax but if it keeps them out later it may be worth it.

Let's say Anderson gets an offer he can't refuse. If Troy Brown Jr is available I'm calling offering a pretty decent role and a vet min salary. TJ Warren is another option. He didn't make shots last year but he looked like he knew how to play and fit in well. He might be had for a partially guaranteed vet min. Hopefully there would be better options but those might not be terrible. They would be an obvious drop off from Kyle Anderson though.
I see the Wolves matching or even exceeding the full MLE to retain Slo Mo if that’s what it takes. I still doubt Slo Mo will get a full MLE offer, but even if he does, I don’t see the Wolves letting him for over $3.5 million more than he’s getting paid now in spite of the luxury tax unless the other team’s MLE offer is guaranteed for more than one year. I can see the Wolves declining to offer a second guaranteed year for that much money and I’m certain they wouldn’t offer him that sort of money for 3 years or more. I’d hate to lose Slo Mo, but I TC has done the best he can do to amass a pool of young talent to potentially back fill, including this year’s pick at #27.