2024 Summer League

Any And All Things T-Wolves Related
kekgeek

Re: 2024 Summer League

Post by kekgeek »

Jake notes of #Timberwolves two-way interest in guard Collin Gillespie. Hear same and also more unlikely than likely to actually happen. But interest is there. #WolvesBack

-Doogie
Q-is-here

Post by Q-is-here »

60WinTim wrote: Sun Jun 30, 2024 8:51 am
Q-is-here wrote: Sun Jun 30, 2024 8:40 am
60WinTim wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2024 6:32 pm The initial list of players has come out from Dane:

Jaylen Clark, Leonard Miller, Josh Minott, Daishen Nix, Rob Dillingham and Terrence Shannon Jr. will all play in Summer League for the Wolves, per assistant GM Matt Lloyd.

Matteo Spagnolo will not play, as he's rehabbing an injury overseas.

And Doogie added:

Former Lakeville North and #Badgers forward Tyler Wahl will play Summer League for the hometown #Timberwolves, per his agents Sam Cipriano & Keith Kreiter of Edge Sports.
One competition to keep an eye on is Josh Minott vs. Terrence Shannon Jr., as the roster currently needs a backup SF (other than sliding Ant over when Jaden sits).

I think this is Minott's last chance to show that he is something other than a super athletic slasher. He's got to knock down open 3s, stay in front of guys, and avoid "fouls of exuberance".

And Shannon Jr. needs to play like his age. The dude is older than Ant (and Minott for that matter)! He has the chance to be a solid two-way bench wing, but given his extensive college experience, I don't think he should get a ton of rope.
Yeah, it all becomes especially intriguing if SloMo leaves. Heck, there might be opportunities for both players between the 3 and 4. And I would even toss Miller into the equation as well!
Tim, If SloMo leaves, Miller has a very clear path to compete for minutes behind KAT and Reid at the 4. He really only has himself to compete with. I'm assuming we will start Jesse Edwards and Miller next to each other in summer league. I'd like to see that, as Miller mostly played Center in the G-League last year and looked terrible trying to anchor Iowa's defense. May be he'd look better playing the 4 next to a legit Center?

(As an aside, the fact we have three bigs that all look much better defensively at the 4 versus 5 in KAT, Naz, and Miller tells us how important Rudy is to us. And it also helps explain the Jesse Edwards 2-way signing).
60WinTim

Post by 60WinTim »

Q-is-here wrote: Sun Jun 30, 2024 3:25 pm
60WinTim wrote: Sun Jun 30, 2024 8:51 am
Q-is-here wrote: Sun Jun 30, 2024 8:40 am

One competition to keep an eye on is Josh Minott vs. Terrence Shannon Jr., as the roster currently needs a backup SF (other than sliding Ant over when Jaden sits).

I think this is Minott's last chance to show that he is something other than a super athletic slasher. He's got to knock down open 3s, stay in front of guys, and avoid "fouls of exuberance".

And Shannon Jr. needs to play like his age. The dude is older than Ant (and Minott for that matter)! He has the chance to be a solid two-way bench wing, but given his extensive college experience, I don't think he should get a ton of rope.
Yeah, it all becomes especially intriguing if SloMo leaves. Heck, there might be opportunities for both players between the 3 and 4. And I would even toss Miller into the equation as well!
Tim, If SloMo leaves, Miller has a very clear path to compete for minutes behind KAT and Reid at the 4. He really only has himself to compete with. I'm assuming we will start Jesse Edwards and Miller next to each other in summer league. I'd like to see that, as Miller mostly played Center in the G-League last year and looked terrible trying to anchor Iowa's defense. May be he'd look better playing the 4 next to a legit Center?

(As an aside, the fact we have three bigs that all look much better defensively at the 4 versus 5 in KAT, Naz, and Miller tells us how important Rudy is to us. And it also helps explain the Jesse Edwards 2-way signing).
Yeah, I watch clips of Jesse Edwards and I see flashes of Rudy -- both good and bad! :) I guess I can't even call it Rudy-light. Maybe Rudy-featherweight?!? Anyway, similar skillset and physicals. Maybe he can grow behind Rudy.

I said before, a bonus is we will have a G-league team with a C that is similar to what the big club has.
Monster

Post by Monster »

I looked up plane tickets and hotels for going to summer league. It was fairly reasonable. I'm tempted but can't decide.
Q-is-here

Post by Q-is-here »

Monster wrote: Sun Jun 30, 2024 5:13 pm I looked up plane tickets and hotels for going to summer league. It was fairly reasonable. I'm tempted but can't decide.
Go Monster! May be you can meet Lip! Either way, having another representative from our board there in person would be pretty cool.
Lipoli390

Post by Lipoli390 »

Monster wrote: Sun Jun 30, 2024 5:13 pm I looked up plane tickets and hotels for going to summer league. It was fairly reasonable. I'm tempted but can't decide.
Monster - You should definitely go. My wife and I are getting their Thursday night, July 11, to see the Friday and Sunday games. Let me know if you’re going.
kekgeek

Post by kekgeek »

Leonard Miller is practicing with team Canada with Eddy (focusing on the NBA) and Wiggins (Steve Kerr blocking him). Miller might not play in the Summer League. Apparently it’s up to the wolves
60WinTim

Post by 60WinTim »

kekgeek wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2024 9:06 am Leonard Miller is practicing with team Canada with Eddy (focusing on the NBA) and Wiggins (Steve Kerr blocking him). Miller might not play in the Summer League. Apparently it’s up to the wolves
While it would be fun and informative to see Miller in Summer League, it's not a bad thing for him to work with other top-notch professionals. I thought I saw he was only working out with them, and not getting a roster spot. I wonder if a roster spot might open for Miller?
kekgeek

Post by kekgeek »

60WinTim wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2024 9:12 am
kekgeek wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2024 9:06 am Leonard Miller is practicing with team Canada with Eddy (focusing on the NBA) and Wiggins (Steve Kerr blocking him). Miller might not play in the Summer League. Apparently it’s up to the wolves
While it would be fun and informative to see Miller in Summer League, it's not a bad thing for him to work with other top-notch professionals. I thought I saw he was only working out with them, and not getting a roster spot. I wonder if a roster spot might open for Miller?
At the moment it’s just a practice spot but people have can dropping out
Q-is-here

Post by Q-is-here »

60WinTim wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2024 9:12 am
Also, Miller has technically played two years of professional basketball, as he was a full-time G-League player the season before last on the Ignite and then of course spent a lot of time in Iowa last season along with getting some garbage time minutes with Minnesota. So I don't really see him benefiting a ton from summer league to be honest. The G-League is basically one long summer league season.