2024 Wolves Free Agency

Any And All Things T-Wolves Related
KiwiMatt

Re: 2024 Wolves Free Agency

Post by KiwiMatt »

With Morris and Slo-Mo now officially gone the two guys I want to see us sign:

Joel Ingles - gives us a lot of what Slo Mo did, except lesser defense but with a significantly better shot. 41% career 3pt shooter, 43.5% last season Great passer. Good length. 36 years old, but his strengths don't required athleticism. May be acquirable for the vet min, on a one year deal.

Jordon McLaughlin - knows the system and would slot into 3rd PG role where he is best suited. If his 3pt shot is somewhere between what he shot last season and the season before I'd be happy. Vet min, two year contract.

Conley / Dillingham / McLaughlin
Edwards / NAW / Shannon
McDaniels / Ingles / Minott
Towns / Reid / Leonard
Gobert / Garza

(Keep one roster spot open)

2 Ways - Clark / Edwards / Nix
Phenom

Post by Phenom »

KiwiMatt wrote: Tue Jul 02, 2024 6:51 pm With Morris and Slo-Mo now officially gone the two guys I want to see us sign:

Joel Ingles - gives us a lot of what Slo Mo did, except lesser defense but with a significantly better shot. 41% career 3pt shooter, 43.5% last season Great passer. Good length. 36 years old, but his strengths don't required athleticism. May be acquirable for the vet min, on a one year deal.

Jordon McLaughlin - knows the system and would slot into 3rd PG role where he is best suited. If his 3pt shot is somewhere between what he shot last season and the season before I'd be happy. Vet min, two year contract.

Edwards / NAW / Shannon
Towns / Reid / Leonard
Gobert / Garza

This is probably best case scenario with what is left. Might just let TSJ, Minott and Lenny battle it out for backup 3 minutes.
Monster

Post by Monster »

One of the guys that hasn’t been talked about in terms of stepping up with FA leaving is McDaniels. If this team wants to take a step forward offensively he needs to be more aggressive looking for his own. There have been IMHO real flashes of that skill, he doesn’t need to go out and score 18 a night but needs to look to do more and Connelly mentioned this in that spot Tim posted. It’s fair if people are skeptical of this and he needs to prove it before it should believed. He does seem to have some nice chemistry with Gobert feeding him an easy bucket here and there so he has a bit of playmaking ability.

Maybe Connelly and Finch have decided to some extent it’s time to take some of the training wheels off and let some of these guys go out and do things. As others have said Edward’s taking a legit step forward helps. NAW looking like a guy that can actually play as a real backup PG for some minutes helps too. That wasn’t certain going into last season.

What the Wolves might be doing is trying to create one of those teams where in theory everyone can attack at any time…except a guy like Gobert. lol Still for Gobert if you have everyone on the floor as a threat to score you just find the spot to wait for a dump off or to follow the miss. It will be interesting to see who they add the rest of the off-season.
Q-is-here

Post by Q-is-here »

Phenom wrote: Tue Jul 02, 2024 7:09 pm
KiwiMatt wrote: Tue Jul 02, 2024 6:51 pm With Morris and Slo-Mo now officially gone the two guys I want to see us sign:

Edwards / NAW / Shannon
Towns / Reid / Leonard
Gobert / Garza

This is probably best case scenario with what is left. Might just let TSJ, Minott and Lenny battle it out for backup 3 minutes.
I agree, well laid out here by Kiwi.

Of course leave it to Tim Connelly to pull off some move that absolutely none of us expect or see coming.
Crazysauce

Post by Crazysauce »

Si article suggesting trade for markannen. https://www.si.com/nba/hawks/news/new-b ... G7NKGr5zog
Monster

Post by Monster »

Things could change and the Wolves add an older player like Ingles or Covington but the Wolves currently have just 2 guys over the age of 30 Gobert and Conley. Towns is the next oldest guy turning 29 in November. Everyone else is 26 or younger. It would be a little surprising if they don't add someone older than 26 this off-season to the roster but it's very likely gonna be a pretty youthful roster overall. Adding Rob Dillingham was a big piece of that.
60WinTim

Post by 60WinTim »

Okay, Monte and SloMo are gone. Unfortunately, they were nothing more than 8th and 9th in the rotation, and on paper, the Wolves may already have those positions filled via the draft. So anyone looking to sign with the Wolves sees there may not be regular minutes available to them. That makes it kind of tough.

Hopefully we don't have to wait too long for someone to come knocking at our door. The suggestion of JMac and Ingles would satisfy most of us, although I am sure we'll be pleased with whoever we pick up given what their role will be.

I could see us signing another PG with our last two-way contract, just to provide depth given Conley's age and Dilly's rookie status.

BTW, Kessler Edwards is a name that has crossed my mind for a SloMo replacement...
Monster

Post by Monster »

60WinTim wrote: Wed Jul 03, 2024 5:08 am Okay, Monte and SloMo are gone. Unfortunately, they were nothing more than 8th and 9th in the rotation, and on paper, the Wolves may already have those positions filled via the draft. So anyone looking to sign with the Wolves sees there may not be regular minutes available to them. That makes it kind of tough.

Hopefully we don't have to wait too long for someone to come knocking at our door. The suggestion of JMac and Ingles would satisfy most of us, although I am sure we'll be pleased with whoever we pick up given what their role will be.

I could see us signing another PG with our last two-way contract, just to provide depth given Conley's age and Dilly's rookie status.

BTW, Kessler Edwards is a name that has crossed my mind for a SloMo replacement...
Kessler Edwards is a guy I had considered as well. Has a ton of length and done some solid things. Troy Brown Jr is more proven and experienced but Edwards could be one of those cheap younger guys ready to make a solid contribution if needed.

As for PGs for the 2 way deal there are going to be lots of options including Nix. His shooting is all over the map but my guess is that he can defend which might be more important now with Dilly being added to the roster. Summer league is gonna be interesting to see who we can add at that spot. Something I learned last night about Nix that I don't think I knew before he is half Samoan which explains his body type.
60WinTim

Post by 60WinTim »

I started free agency with my high hopes for some action. But now I think we are going to be waiting for a while. Like, after Summer League when left over FAs start looking for those last roster spots teams need to fill out.

Unlike many of the FA signings we have seen for other teams, there just isn't a clear path for playing time for our two open roster spots (we know the 3rd spot will be left open). While we lost our 8th and 9th players from last year's rotation, Dilly is already penciled in for one of those spots, and the other spot has some combination of TSJ, Minott and/or Miller written all over it.

Oh well. I guess Summer League is the only priority right now...
Monster

Post by Monster »

60WinTim wrote: Wed Jul 03, 2024 1:14 pm I started free agency with my high hopes for some action. But now I think we are going to be waiting for a while. Like, after Summer League when left over FAs start looking for those last roster spots teams need to fill out.

Unlike many of the FA signings we have seen for other teams, there just isn't a clear path for playing time for our two open roster spots (we know the 3rd spot will be left open). While we lost our 8th and 9th players from last year's rotation, Dilly is already penciled in for one of those spots, and the other spot has some combination of TSJ, Minott and/or Miller written all over it.

Oh well. I guess Summer League is the only priority right now...
I think you have laid it out well Tim. I'll add that I could see NAW for sure have an uptick in minutes too. They could even play Naz a few more minutes here and there as a big wing. I agree there isn't a great deal of opportunity but I think there is a solid one for someone that is a combo forward but they will have to win those minutes unless they are a more established guy like Ingles. I feel pretty confident that the Wolves will eventually be able to sign some guys that are at least NBA players that won't be a disaster if called on...but sometimes they are. That typically happens to every team at least one guy ends up not being anywhere near as good as expected.