Terrence Shannon

Any And All Things T-Wolves Related
TheFuture

Re: Terrence Shannon

Post by TheFuture »

I was really high on Shannon watching him this year and was hoping he'd fall to us. So glad he did.

Now, after rewatching some film on Shannon, there was one glaring flaw I thought kept appearing on offense. Does he ever use his right hand on a layup?
Sundog

Post by Sundog »

I haven’t scouted him at all, Fut, so I don’t have an answer for you. But wanted to post this new article from Charlie Walton… good stuff:

https://zonecoverage.com/2024/timberwol ... ady-steal/

I didn’t realize his defense is this good
Q-is-here

Post by Q-is-here »

Sundog wrote: Tue Jul 02, 2024 11:11 am I haven’t scouted him at all, Fut, so I don’t have an answer for you. But wanted to post this new article from Charlie Walton… good stuff:

He cut his teeth with Texas Tech, which is known for its defense. They were the #1 defense in the country in his last season there. As he became more of a top scoring option at Illinois (especially last year), I think his defense became secondary. But he knows what it's like to be in a culture where playing high-level defense is expected of him.

I really wanted Scheierman, but having taken the offensively-gifted/defensively-limited Willingham at #8, I can see why the Wolves pivoted toward someone that might be more of a 2-way player. I am worried about Shannon's shooting, as the track record is a little iffy. Like McDaniels and NAW, it's critical that Shannon can hit the open corner 3 if he wants to be in the regular rotation.

It's the same old story with all these NBA-ready defenders we've taken over the years in the draft. Do they develop a reliable NBA 3-point shot or not? The answer was "no" with Kris Dunn, Josh Okogie and Jarrett Culver (another Texas Tech alum). The answer was "yes" with Jaden McDaniels. That same question now applies to both Clark and Shannon. All I care about is can they make the open 3, as nothing else they do well is going to be good enough to make up for an inability to space the floor.
Monster

Post by Monster »

Q-is-here wrote: Tue Jul 02, 2024 12:08 pm
Sundog wrote: Tue Jul 02, 2024 11:11 am I haven’t scouted him at all, Fut, so I don’t have an answer for you. But wanted to post this new article from Charlie Walton… good stuff:

He cut his teeth with Texas Tech, which is known for its defense. They were the #1 defense in the country in his last season there. As he became more of a top scoring option at Illinois (especially last year), I think his defense became secondary. But he knows what it's like to be in a culture where playing high-level defense is expected of him.

I really wanted Scheierman, but having taken the offensively-gifted/defensively-limited Willingham at #8, I can see why the Wolves pivoted toward someone that might be more of a 2-way player. I am worried about Shannon's shooting, as the track record is a little iffy. Like McDaniels and NAW, it's critical that Shannon can hit the open corner 3 if he wants to be in the regular rotation.

It's the same old story with all these NBA-ready defenders we've taken over the years in the draft. Do they develop a reliable NBA 3-point shot or not? The answer was "no" with Kris Dunn, Josh Okogie and Jarrett Culver (another Texas Tech alum). The answer was "yes" with Jaden McDaniels. That same question now applies to both Clark and Shannon. All I care about is can they make the open 3, as nothing else they do well is going to be good enough to make up for an inability to space the floor.
The were 3 problems with Kris Dunn especially considering he was taken 5th overall. 1. Couldn't stay healthy. 2. Didn't shoot the 3 well. 3. Wasn't really a scorer and wasn't exactly all that great of a PG either. Basically he ended up no better than 2 other PGs that I suggested we could have picked later in Gary Payton III (was the reason I didn't want Dunn) and Fred Van Vliet. Caruso was a 3rd undrafted PG type that was also better. To keep me humble I wanted Bender in that draft if he fell far enough. Lol of course Dunn has been able to make some 3's in Utah. Is that legit? Idk but if so and he can stay remotely healthy he will stick around for a few more years. I see he signed with the Clippers.

Ok back to TSJ I do also worry a bit about shooting. It's a shot that's kinda low out in front of his face. Still we got him at the end of the first round so he doesn't have to do everything to be a worthwhile pick. If we picked Dunn at 27 and he was a good defensive guard that can play some solid minutes at PG if needed that wouldn't be too bad. That's a low bar to clear and we really need more than the next Josh Okogie but at least Okogie is a pretty good defensive player and other than being bad at making shots seems to know how to play basketball. Okogie turns 26 in September.
Leado01

Post by Leado01 »

Shannon probably has the clearer path to minutes and early production than Dillingham.

I'm a lifelong Illini fan so my assessments are often biased, that being said having watched Shannon at Tech I was thrilled when the Illini got him and much more thrilled to find out what he could do on offense.

He's big enough, fast enough, and tough enough to guard 1-3 and that's why Underwood went and got him from Tech. He's a natural 2-3 backup that will probably sit behind ANT and McDaniels.

If his minutes are with the 2nd team and include Naz/Naw/Dilly we will be putting outrageous speed and pressure at the rim and have 4 guys that can shoot spot up 3's over league average.

He also does the dirty work of boxing out and setting picks...I kind of thought he was the most complete/ready player in the draft and know that he can adapt if given a very specific role.

The only weakness I see relative to the NBA is his wingspan, but he's a physical in the grill defender with a nose for steals so I don't know that the wingspan will affect his team defense.

I just love this pick. This is the first time we've taken the guy (other than our #1 picks) that I was hoping we'd take so...
1965-2023
"He Meant Well"
Monster

Post by Monster »

TheFuture wrote: Tue Jul 02, 2024 12:10 am I was really high on Shannon watching him this year and was hoping he'd fall to us. So glad he did.

Now, after rewatching some film on Shannon, there was one glaring flaw I thought kept appearing on offense. Does he ever use his right hand on a layup?
I watched a breakdown video of his strengths yesterday and he did finish an easy transition layup (barely anyone even in the picture) with his right hand. Lol
Monster

Post by Monster »

Leado01 wrote: Wed Jul 03, 2024 12:58 pm Shannon probably has the clearer path to minutes and early production than Dillingham.

I'm a lifelong Illini fan so my assessments are often biased, that being said having watched Shannon at Tech I was thrilled when the Illini got him and much more thrilled to find out what he could do on offense.

He's big enough, fast enough, and tough enough to guard 1-3 and that's why Underwood went and got him from Tech. He's a natural 2-3 backup that will probably sit behind ANT and McDaniels.

If his minutes are with the 2nd team and include Naz/Naw/Dilly we will be putting outrageous speed and pressure at the rim and have 4 guys that can shoot spot up 3's over league average.

He also does the dirty work of boxing out and setting picks...I kind of thought he was the most complete/ready player in the draft and know that he can adapt if given a very specific role.

The only weakness I see relative to the NBA is his wingspan, but he's a physical in the grill defender with a nose for steals so I don't know that the wingspan will affect his team defense.

I just love this pick. This is the first time we've taken the guy (other than our #1 picks) that I was hoping we'd take so...
From what I have seen it looks like he does have some passing in his game which is nice. He doesn't have to be a PG but a guy that can make some basic plays here and there helps.

What is his team defense like?

I was thinking about his possible impact and what your comments on him is and I was thinking he could have a similar impact to Tarean Prince. Prince is a proven 3 point shooter (although seems to always have a bad stretch) who has a bit of scoring and make a play here and there too. Prince was more of a 3/4 type guy and honestly he was often just not big enough as a 4 and sometimes was quick enough as a wing. TSJ could be more of a G/F solid defender that does enough on offense to be worth minutes. Prince especially year one was a smart vet guy which helped. TSJ is an NBA rookie but has years of college experience so maybe less of a liability in making mistakes than a guy like Dillingham. TSJ's measurements aren't too different than Troy Brown Jr although he simply has a solid resume of being a solid rebounder. Prince has more wingspan and length but wasn't a good rebounder even for a SF.
Monster

Post by Monster »

I've now watched both half's of Illinois vs Michigan from 2/13/2024. I watched the first half a couple days ago and finished the 2nd half...well not all of it because it was a blowout.

This was a game with much more offense from TSJ especially in the half court. He had a couple strong drives with excellent ball handling and changing speeds to get to the rim. He was hitting 3's too and hit a very smooth step back 3. A few seconds later he took nearly the same shot and missed but then tracked down the rebound drove baseline and found a teammates for an open 3. Speaking of passing Finch is gonna love TSJ. The ball doesn't stick with him from what I see. He moves the ball or does something. He showed again in this game his ability to drive and kick. He also has a nice post pass to Hawkins. Speaking of Hawkins I love that guy. I'm actually a little surprised that he didn't come out this year but maybe the best he could hope for was a 2nd round pick but I think he is a nice player possibly well suited for the NBA...if his 3 point shooting from this season is for real. Anyway I'm still not sold on Shannon's offense and shooting but I really like his passing decision making, ability to push tempo and if he gets an opportunity to drive the ball to the paint I feel like that's gonna be a positive. He seems to have a good feel for when to do his thing and when to defer. He was a high scoring guy this year but it seems like he won't have a problem filling a role.

His man defense was once again excellent. Nobody even seemed to test him there. He did more team defense in this game including coming off his man in the corner to body up Reed Jr who is a very large human and then getting back to his man who got the ball in the corner and TSJ still contested. He did get switched into Reed in the paint once and Reed made a good move and scored going left but I'm not expecting Shannon to stop a guy that big.
He also had at least a couple other times he made a nice play contesting at the rim forcing a miss. I would like to see him guard a PG that I know was really quick but my guess is I will see that ina few days in SL where there are all kinds of quick guards. He looks like he would be able to hold up but I'd like to see it. Maybe I already have I don't have good knowledge of the players he faced. I'm looking forward to seeing him in Summer league action.
Sundog

Post by Sundog »

Good stuff, Monster, thanks
Q-is-here

Post by Q-is-here »

Yeah, thanks for scouting report Monster!