2024 Wolves Free Agency

Any And All Things T-Wolves Related
60WinTim

Re: 2024 Wolves Free Agency

Post by 60WinTim »

KG4Ever wrote: Wed Jul 03, 2024 2:56 pm
60WinTim wrote: Wed Jul 03, 2024 2:51 pm
KG4Ever wrote: Wed Jul 03, 2024 2:46 pm I am thinking we should grab Nerlens Noel as he's still only 30 and he's the best rim protector I can think of. We need someone who can backup Rudy defensively.
In addition to KAT and NAZ, we signed Garza to one of our roster spots. I don’t see us adding another big. But we do have Jesse Edwards on a two-way that can rim protect. He might get an opportunity or two in the regular season.
I'll believe Edwards can be an effective rim protector in NBA and be a positive presence when I see it. Noel has proven it for quite a while.
I actually agree with your sentiment. Rudy’s on/off numbers are so good, maybe we wouldn’t be so bad without Rudy if we had a similar player, like Noel, coming off the bench!

But signing Garza quashed that idea. The Wolves HAVE to find a player who can contribute when Conley takes games off.
Q-is-here

Post by Q-is-here »

KG4Ever wrote: Wed Jul 03, 2024 2:48 pm
thedoper wrote: Wed Jul 03, 2024 2:31 pm
kekgeek wrote: Wed Jul 03, 2024 2:30 pm Free agent F Joe Ingles has agreed on a one-year deal to join the Minnesota Timberwolves, sources tell ESPN. Ingles reunites with his old Jazz teammates Rudy Gobert and Mike Conley Jr.
Let's gooooo. Its like an even slower Slowmo with a 3.
I might be the only one here not excited with Jingles. He's frickin old and I don't want him in the way of unleashing Lenny Miller. Hope he is willing to be a mentor and won't stunt Lenny Miller or even Shannon's minutes much.
That's interesting. I'd classify Miller more as a big playing behind KAT and Naz than as a wing playing behind McDaniels and Ingles. May be if you drew a venn diagram of the two positionally there would be a little bit of overlap, but not much.

Miller Time (get it?) will come when one of the bigs get hurt, as SloMo played the 3 when everyone was healthy, but would toggle to the 4 when KAT or Naz couldn't play. Ingles won't get in the way of that.
Q-is-here

Post by Q-is-here »

Now we just need to sign Lil' Mac to a deal and Kiwi's envisioned roster will come to fruition!
KG4Ever

Post by KG4Ever »

60WinTim wrote: Wed Jul 03, 2024 3:03 pm
KG4Ever wrote: Wed Jul 03, 2024 2:56 pm
60WinTim wrote: Wed Jul 03, 2024 2:51 pm

In addition to KAT and NAZ, we signed Garza to one of our roster spots. I don’t see us adding another big. But we do have Jesse Edwards on a two-way that can rim protect. He might get an opportunity or two in the regular season.
I'll believe Edwards can be an effective rim protector in NBA and be a positive presence when I see it. Noel has proven it for quite a while.
I actually agree with your sentiment. Rudy’s on/off numbers are so good, maybe we wouldn’t be so bad without Rudy if we had a similar player, like Noel, coming off the bench!

But signing Garza quashed that idea. The Wolves HAVE to find a player who can contribute when Conley takes games off.
I'll grant you that is probably unlikely, but I think we have two open roster spots we could fill.
Right now it looks like we have Ant, Mike, Jaden, KAT and Rudy as starting five with Naz and NAW as 7 sure rotation guys. We also have Jingles, Leonard, Minott, Garza and our two rookies, which is 13. I'm assuming Edwards, Nix and Clark are our two-way guys. That leaves two open spots and I want a veteran point guard with one of the two. That would leave one more spot. I know that TC is likely to keep it open, but my preference would be a rim protector vet like Noel who could backup Rudy and mentor Edwards.
60WinTim

Post by 60WinTim »

Actually, Nix is not currently on a two-way -- we did not extend a QO for that. So we do have one open two-way. (I still expect Nix to play in summer league. He just isn't on a two-way)
Lipoli390

Post by Lipoli390 »

60WinTim wrote: Wed Jul 03, 2024 3:32 pm Actually, Nix is not currently on a two-way -- we did not extend a QO for that. So we do have one open two-way. (I still expect Nix to play in summer league. He just isn't on a two-way)
Nix still has a shot at being our third two-way contract guy next season, but I’m sure the Wolves front office will look at other potential prospects to fill that slot.

I don’t think the Wolves will fill both remaining roster spots. They typically leave the 15th spot open for roster flexibility down the road and I think that’s the prudent approach.
Monster

Post by Monster »

KG4Ever wrote: Wed Jul 03, 2024 2:54 pm Jingles is even older than Conley. I know people think the Wolves are a young team because of Ant, but even before Jingles signing they were in the older half of NBA teams.
The Wolves have 4 players over the age of 26. It's still a pretty young roster. There is too much player movement to do a test of total roster age but my guess is at worst they are even now with Ingles signing in the middle.
Monster

Post by Monster »

Lipoli390 wrote: Wed Jul 03, 2024 4:01 pm
60WinTim wrote: Wed Jul 03, 2024 3:32 pm Actually, Nix is not currently on a two-way -- we did not extend a QO for that. So we do have one open two-way. (I still expect Nix to play in summer league. He just isn't on a two-way)
Nix still has a shot at being our third two-way contract guy next season, but I’m sure the Wolves front office will look at other potential prospects to fill that slot.

I don’t think the Wolves will fill both remaining roster spots. They typically leave the 15th spot open for roster flexibility down the road and I think that’s the prudent approach.
It also saves a chunk of money too.
Monster

Post by Monster »

KG4Ever wrote: Wed Jul 03, 2024 3:27 pm
60WinTim wrote: Wed Jul 03, 2024 3:03 pm
KG4Ever wrote: Wed Jul 03, 2024 2:56 pm I'll believe Edwards can be an effective rim protector in NBA and be a positive presence when I see it. Noel has proven it for quite a while.

I'll grant you that is probably unlikely, but I think we have two open roster spots we could fill.
Right now it looks like we have Ant, Mike, Jaden, KAT and Rudy as starting five with Naz and NAW as 7 sure rotation guys. We also have Jingles, Leonard, Minott, Garza and our two rookies, which is 13. I'm assuming Edwards, Nix and Clark are our two-way guys. That leaves two open spots and I want a veteran point guard with one of the two. That would leave one more spot. I know that TC is likely to keep it open, but my preference would be a rim protector vet like Noel who could backup Rudy and mentor Edwards.
I'm a big fan of Noel but it seems unlikely we would add him with the bigs we have and Edwards signed as a 2-way. It was weird to me he didn't even play in the NBA last year. Maybe there is something going on with him we don't know about or maybe teams just didn't value him.

At this point even with Ingles being added it likely makes more sense to add PG/combo guard that can handle the ball in case of an injury. I think at some point there will be a worthwhile player available for the vet min that fits that description or maybe the Wolves sign a younger guy that hasn't made it yet (regardless of position) that could be another developmental option.
Sundog

Post by Sundog »

PJ Dozier on a 1yr vet minimum deal, per Jonny K… not to be confused with ex Viking DJ Dozier

More: Dozier tore his ACL in 2021 with Denver, rehabbed and has been working his way back to the NBA. Also spent time with Sacramento in 2023. Connelly kept in touch with Dozier's agent, Kevin Bradbury of @LIFTSPORTSMNGMT, and remains high on his potential.