PJ Dozier to the wolves

Any And All Things T-Wolves Related
Q-is-here

Re: PJ Dozier to the wolves

Post by Q-is-here »

Monster wrote: Wed Jul 03, 2024 6:44 pm Dozier was signed once before to a non guaranteed deal with the Wolves and played so well in Iowa after he went there he ended up signed with the Kings.

He played well his last full season in Denver and Jokic said some very positive things about him.

I don't believe in his shooting but I remember before his injury he had some nearly elite numbers. In a way I think he could be considered more of a combo guard version of Okogie but is a better 3 point shooter. He is oddly way way better at shooting above the break than in the corners. That means he is might even be above average shooting above break 3's overall. I don't have those numbers and I believe league wide they have risen but they are lower than corner 3's.

It will be interesting to see if it's a guaranteed deal or not. My guess is non-guaranteed but he brings another defender. To the guard wing position that can use one.
Yes, he was a very solid player in Iowa. Definitely was a jack-of-all trades type down there - can pass, defend, rebound, and score - but not elite at any one of those things. He's a little bit of a curious signing because I think of him as a pure wing, not a big. So he seems a bit redundant with Joe Ingles, who undoubtedly will be ahead of him in the rotation, not to mention what I expect to be a healthy competition between Minott and Shannon for minutes.
Monster

Post by Monster »

Q-is-here wrote: Wed Jul 03, 2024 7:40 pm
Monster wrote: Wed Jul 03, 2024 6:44 pm Dozier was signed once before to a non guaranteed deal with the Wolves and played so well in Iowa after he went there he ended up signed with the Kings.

He played well his last full season in Denver and Jokic said some very positive things about him.

I don't believe in his shooting but I remember before his injury he had some nearly elite numbers. In a way I think he could be considered more of a combo guard version of Okogie but is a better 3 point shooter. He is oddly way way better at shooting above the break than in the corners. That means he is might even be above average shooting above break 3's overall. I don't have those numbers and I believe league wide they have risen but they are lower than corner 3's.

It will be interesting to see if it's a guaranteed deal or not. My guess is non-guaranteed but he brings another defender. To the guard wing position that can use one.
Yes, he was a very solid player in Iowa. Definitely was a jack-of-all trades type down there - can pass, defend, rebound, and score - but not elite at any one of those things. He's a little bit of a curious signing because I think of him as a pure wing, not a big. So he seems a bit redundant with Joe Ingles, who undoubtedly will be ahead of him in the rotation, not to mention what I expect to be a healthy competition between Minott and Shannon for minutes.
To some extent Dozier isn't redundant to Ingles because he is a perimeter defender. Think of him as a less effective PG version of Kris Dunn but also bigger and therefore more of a multi position defender. He is probably more like NAW (or Jaylen Clark) than he is like Ingles. He is a pretty deep depth guy with a partially guaranteed deal. He isn't a bad guy to have in case none of the young guys turn out to actually be able to defend. It's not a thrilling signing but for the cost and type of deal it is I think it's just fine. As it's been pointed out on the forum especially after the Ingles signing there isn't much of an opportunity for playing time here. We may not have had much interest from other players because of that.

FWIW Wolfson is reporting it's an exhibit 10 contract. That's a camp tryout contract. If true that's a no brainer then.
Lipoli390

Post by Lipoli390 »

Monster wrote: Wed Jul 03, 2024 9:55 pm

To some extent Dozier isn't redundant to Ingles because he is a perimeter defender. Think of him as a less effective PG version of Kris Dunn but also bigger and therefore more of a multi position defender. He is probably more like NAW (or Jaylen Clark) than he is like Ingles. He is a pretty deep depth guy with a partially guaranteed deal. He isn't a bad guy to have in case none of the young guys turn out to actually be able to defend. It's not a thrilling signing but for the cost and type of deal it is I think it's just fine. As it's been pointed out on the forum especially after the Ingles signing there isn't much of an opportunity for playing time here. We may not have had much interest from other players because of that.

FWIW Wolfson is reporting it's an exhibit 10 contract. That's a camp tryout contract. If true that's a no brainer then.
Good points, Monster. I look at Dozier as a big defensive PG. Obviously, we have to have a more veteran PG to back up Conley. We simply can’t go into a season with championship aspirations with a 165 pound 19 year old rookie as our only backup to a 37 year old starting veteran. If it’s just an exhibit 10 contract then I agree it’s a no brainer. If it’s a vet minimum deal I’d like to think we could have made a better choice for a veteran backup PG - even our own JMac. But as you noted, perhaps there wasn’t much interest in coming here given the risk of limited minutes. My rejoinder to a vet worried about playing time at the PG position would be to look at the ages of our two PGs - one 37 and the other 19. That suggests opportunity for a vet PG to eventually get significant minutes and be an important part of a championship contender.
KG4Ever

Post by KG4Ever »

An Exhibit 10 deal makes a lot more sense. If so, we got another spot to fill.
Monster

Post by Monster »

Lipoli390 wrote: Wed Jul 03, 2024 10:41 pm

Good points, Monster. I look at Dozier as a big defensive PG. Obviously, we have to have a more veteran PG to back up Conley. We simply can’t go into a season with championship aspirations with a 165 pound 19 year old rookie as our only backup to a 37 year old starting veteran. If it’s just an exhibit 10 contract then I agree it’s a no brainer. If it’s a vet minimum deal I’d like to think we could have made a better choice for a veteran backup PG - even our own JMac. But as you noted, perhaps there wasn’t much interest in coming here given the risk of limited minutes. My rejoinder to a vet worried about playing time at the PG position would be to look at the ages of our two PGs - one 37 and the other 19. That suggests opportunity for a vet PG to eventually get significant minutes and be an important part of a championship contender.
To me the Wolves currently have these guys I consider PGs on the roster.

Conley
Dillingham
NAW
Ingles

Add in Edward’s taking a step forward as a passer/playmaker/decision maker and that’s not too bad but we all want some more depth of guys that can help run the offense even if it’s on a 2-way deal. I’d guess the wolves at some point will sign at least 2 more camp tryout guys and one won’t be a total long shot to make the roster. One will probably be a guy headed straight to Iowa.
kekgeek

Post by kekgeek »

Hey Monster where did you see Doogie say it was an exhibit 10 deal. You might be right but Doogie has a tweet from 2022 that the wolves gave Dozier an exhibit 10 deal so I’m just making sure we are not getting confused
Monster

Post by Monster »

kekgeek wrote: Wed Jul 03, 2024 11:58 pm

Hey Monster where did you see Doogie say it was an exhibit 10 deal. You might be right but Doogie has a tweet from 2022 that the wolves gave Dozier an exhibit 10 deal so I’m just making sure we are not getting confused
Crap I think you are right it was an old tweet. Ugh I’m an idiot. lol Follow me for Wolfson tweets on how Dakota Dozier is doing.
KG4Ever

Post by KG4Ever »

Monster wrote: Thu Jul 04, 2024 12:21 am

Crap I think you are right it was an old tweet. Ugh I’m an idiot. lol Follow me for Wolfson tweets on how Dakota Dozier is doing.
Ughhh! I sure hope this isn't it for free agency. What a let down!
Q-is-here

Post by Q-is-here »

KG4Ever wrote: Thu Jul 04, 2024 1:33 am

They are really putting their chips in on Dillingham, but it also looks like they are trying to swaddle him in a blanket of strong vets and defensive culture. Hopefully he is being set up for success. This is a lot different than rookie LaVine being asked to play PG for a 16-win team.
Lipoli390

Post by Lipoli390 »

Q-is-here wrote: Thu Jul 04, 2024 9:35 am
KG4Ever wrote: Thu Jul 04, 2024 1:33 am

They are really putting their chips in on Dillingham, but it also looks like they are trying to swaddle him in a blanket of strong vets and defensive culture. Hopefully he is being set up for success. This is a lot different than rookie LaVine being asked to play PG for a 16-win team.
I feel really good about the mentorship, structure and culture that Rob will have around him. It bodes well for his long-term development and it can cover to some extent for his weaknesses. But the Wolves still seem unduly exposed at the PG position as they compete for a championship against really tough competition in the West.