2024 Free Agency GDT

Any And All Things T-Wolves Related
KG4Ever

Re: 2024 Free Agency GDT

Post by KG4Ever »

Q-is-here wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2024 2:26 pm
Monster wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2024 1:59 pm
Q-is-here wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2024 1:39 pm

Damn it! The dream is almost dead. Ingles is still out there, but I'm starting to lose hope. Probably need to bring SloMo back if we can't land a big vet wing at league minimum.
Ingles and Batum are more proven vets but if we swing and miss on guys like that I'm still interested in Troy Brown Jr for the vet min. I'm not expecting him to be quite as valuable as Derrick Jones Jr was for the Mavs last year but it feels like he could be a guy that ends up being more valuable than a vet min salary. He turns 25 this month. If I remember right are some other Vet options though that may end up being available for the vet min.
Yeah, TBJ wouldn't be a bad consolation prize, but if we have to play him regular minutes as a backup 3 it means Shannon and Minott are flops. Ingles would be better IMO.
I would prefer Covington as he is younger than Jingles and he would be a great mentor for our young three and D hopefuls. TB would be better than nothing, but there are probably a handful of options that might make better sense and I think Wolves aren't his top option either.
BloopOracle

Post by BloopOracle »

I'd take Ingles, has experience with Rudy and I trust him the most to hit corner threes in a playoff game.
Q-is-here

Post by Q-is-here »

KG4Ever wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2024 6:54 pm

Ingles and Batum are more proven vets but if we swing and miss on guys like that I'm still interested in Troy Brown Jr for the vet min. I'm not expecting him to be quite as valuable as Derrick Jones Jr was for the Mavs last year but it feels like he could be a guy that ends up being more valuable than a vet min salary. He turns 25 this month. If I remember right are some other Vet options though that may end up being available for the vet min.
Yeah, TBJ wouldn't be a bad consolation prize, but if we have to play him regular minutes as a backup 3 it means Shannon and Minott are flops. Ingles would be better IMO.
I would prefer Covington as he is younger than Jingles and he would be a great mentor for our young three and D hopefuls. TB would be better than nothing, but there are probably a handful of options that might make better sense and I think Wolves aren't his top option either.
I think the thing Ingles gives you is a secondary ball handler and play maker, something Covington can't do. Also it seems like RoCo's 3-pt shot has gotten a bit more inconsistent these last few years.
Monster

Post by Monster »

Q-is-here wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2024 7:16 pm

I think the thing Ingles gives you is a secondary ball handler and play maker, something Covington can't do. Also it seems like RoCo's 3-pt shot has gotten a bit more inconsistent these last few years.
What kind of D does Joe Ingles play at this point of his career? Covington? Can Covington still guard as a wing? I'm asking because they are getting older and I honestly don't know. Both guys are big and long and are smart on that end so that helps.
Q-is-here

Post by Q-is-here »

Monster wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2024 7:44 pm
Q-is-here wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2024 7:16 pm
What kind of D does Joe Ingles play at this point of his career? Covington? Can Covington still guard as a wing? I'm asking because they are getting older and I honestly don't know. Both guys are big and long and are smart on that end so that helps.
RoCo is probably still the better defender. I really don't know how he'd do as a SF next to Naz off the bench, as you're right, he's played the 4 for most of the last few years. Ingles has played purely SF (which is another reason I'd prefer him over RoCo).
60WinTim

Post by 60WinTim »

Denver gets Dario Saric on a 2-year deal for 10.6 mil. Nice pickup for Denver in an area they were lacking. Needle mover? Maybe not. But it stops the hemorrhaging they were having with KCP and Reggie Jackson...
Monster

Post by Monster »

60WinTim wrote: Sat Jul 06, 2024 5:44 pm Denver gets Dario Saric on a 2-year deal for 10.6 mil. Nice pickup for Denver in an area they were lacking. Needle mover? Maybe not. But it stops the hemorrhaging they were having with KCP and Reggie Jackson...
I don't know how he is defensively but he was pretty productive last year for GS. He seems like a guy that could move the needle since I'm not sure how much they have in terms of bigs especially offensively. He might let them rest Jokic more. It's a good landing for Saric too.
Monster

Post by Monster »

Josh Okogie got a 2 year 16 million contract from the Suns with the 2nd year non-guaranteed. I get that part of the reason they gave him that money is possible salary matching but even without the lux tax implications that's way more than I was thinking he would get. I think you can make a case he does enough things to be worth more than just a vet min guy but 8 million??? Kyle Anderson got 9 million a year. Maybe they were so thrilled with getting Morris for the vet min they were like damn let's pay Josh! Lol
TheFuture

Post by TheFuture »

Monster wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2024 9:37 pm Josh Okogie got a 2 year 16 million contract from the Suns with the 2nd year non-guaranteed. I get that part of the reason they gave him that money is possible salary matching but even without the lux tax implications that's way more than I was thinking he would get. I think you can make a case he does enough things to be worth more than just a vet min guy but 8 million??? Kyle Anderson got 9 million a year. Maybe they were so thrilled with getting Morris for the vet min they were like damn let's pay Josh! Lol
None of their other guards/wings play defense, and they're so up against the cap that they can't let anyone go.

We're there on the cap part. It's rough. I am actually very surprised at the outcome for the players. They collectively agreed to squeeze out their 'working class' whilst also forcing lottery teams to continue to overpay "potential". All so top tier current players could secure the most $. At the end of the day they put more control in the owner's hands for this idea of parity. Without a cap on max contracts, you've just handcuffed every team.
Carlos Danger

Post by Carlos Danger »

Q-is-here wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2024 1:39 pm

Damn it! The dream is almost dead. Ingles is still out there, but I'm starting to lose hope. Probably need to bring SloMo back if we can't land a big vet wing at league minimum.
I'm just cruising through old posts because I haven't been paying too much attention lately. I'm bummed I missed out on the Troy Brown Jr. talk! I liked that guy and was bummed they included him in that trade. Oh well. We have to hope our guys like Clark can step up and fill that (limited) role. Finch will probably follow the same script as last year (playing 9 guys), so the rest of the guys probably just need to look good in suits.