Will The Wolves Sign a Veteran PG?

Any And All Things T-Wolves Related
Q-is-here

Re: Will The Wolves Sign a Veteran PG?

Post by Q-is-here »

Man, the market really imploded for Tyus, didn't it? It's no secret I love his game and think he'd be a great fit next to Ant. But the front office thinks this team needs another guy that can break down the defense off the bounce and create shots for himself as much as others, something guys like Tyus, JMac, and Monte Morris aren't built for. The second Connelly moved up to draft Dillingham, it kind of killed our chances at keeping/signing one of these "safe pair of hands" point guards.
KiwiMatt

Post by KiwiMatt »

Phoenix just got two of the best assist / turnover ratio guys in the league for little more than 5 mil combined. They filled one of their biggest needs at the PG position, but have not filled their biggest need in my opinion which is their front court depth.

As a Wolves fan I'm not that concerned at meeting them again in the playoffs. Their defense will be terrible, front court woefully thin, and health is a major concern.
Monster

Post by Monster »

Q-is-here wrote: Mon Jul 29, 2024 3:03 pm Man, the market really imploded for Tyus, didn't it? It's no secret I love his game and think he'd be a great fit next to Ant. But the front office thinks this team needs another guy that can break down the defense off the bounce and create shots for himself as much as others, something guys like Tyus, JMac, and Monte Morris aren't built for. The second Connelly moved up to draft Dillingham, it kind of killed our chances at keeping/signing one of these "safe pair of hands" point guards.
I see Tyus said he did turn down other offers to sign with the Suns. My guess they weren't exactly big money offers so he picked the best opportunity to play and play well.

Yeah drafting Dillingham was a big deal in terms of being able to have vet PG want to come or stay here even someone like McLaughlin. I also wonder if some players may have been like...I've seen that guy or heard from people...that Dillingham kid can play.
Q-is-here

Post by Q-is-here »

Monster wrote: Mon Jul 29, 2024 5:23 pm
Q-is-here wrote: Mon Jul 29, 2024 3:03 pm Man, the market really imploded for Tyus, didn't it? It's no secret I love his game and think he'd be a great fit next to Ant. But the front office thinks this team needs another guy that can break down the defense off the bounce and create shots for himself as much as others, something guys like Tyus, JMac, and Monte Morris aren't built for. The second Connelly moved up to draft Dillingham, it kind of killed our chances at keeping/signing one of these "safe pair of hands" point guards.
I see Tyus said he did turn down other offers to sign with the Suns. My guess they weren't exactly big money offers so he picked the best opportunity to play and play well.

Yeah drafting Dillingham was a big deal in terms of being able to have vet PG want to come or stay here even someone like McLaughlin. I also wonder if some players may have been like...I've seen that guy or heard from people...that Dillingham kid can play.
I think after Nowell and then Milton flamed out (and TJ Warren to a degree as well, although not much was expected from him), Tim Connelly finally turned to the draft to solve two problems at once (hopefully). The short term problem is a perimeter shot creator off the bench and the long-term problem is Conley's successor as starting PG. It's a gamble and we saw both the good and the bad in Vegas. But if he becomes Darius Garland 2.0, that's a damn good gamble! We'll see....
Monster

Post by Monster »

Q-is-here wrote: Mon Jul 29, 2024 7:27 pm
Monster wrote: Mon Jul 29, 2024 5:23 pm

I think after Nowell and then Milton flamed out (and TJ Warren to a degree as well, although not much was expected from him), Tim Connelly finally turned to the draft to solve two problems at once (hopefully). The short term problem is a perimeter shot creator off the bench and the long-term problem is Conley's successor as starting PG. It's a gamble and we saw both the good and the bad in Vegas. But if he becomes Darius Garland 2.0, that's a damn good gamble! We'll see....
Yeah that would be a pretty good outcome. I think Dillingham coming out of college is a better passer but to be fair to Garland he only played 5 college games.

Good point about TJ Warren. He seemed more like a Kyle Anderson type for the Wolves than a scorer. At times when he played that was probably fine but yeah they could have used him as a guy that got some buckets. He seemed like a competent player out there other than not being able to hit a 3. If a team needed a guy that was a combo forward that might be better as a small ball 4 he might be able to help a team and might be able to still score if healthy. For the Wolves this year it probably made sense to maybe even give Minott or even Miller some minutes instead of a guy like Warren and see what happens. There will be guys like Warren available if they want to sign them later. Maybe he goes and plays internationally and rehabs his game. I've always liked him while acknowledging his flaws.