91%
Naz
9%

Total votes: 11

Monster

Re: You can only keep one

Post by Monster »

Q-is-here wrote: Tue Aug 06, 2024 5:51 pm
Monster wrote: Tue Aug 06, 2024 3:39 pm This is an interesting question to propose right now. obviously we have a whole season to assess both players the team etc . i think a nunber of us think its quite possible Naz improves once again because he has done it every year if his career and he is still a young big.

In addition as its been pointed out in theory what Naz can do is maybe more easy to replace for rhe Wolves than what Rudy does. Gobert is on track for a HOF career. Naz isnt even an established starter yet although espcially after last season I think he is a starting level player.

one thing that could change the calculus is of Towns continues his trajectory into becoming a better defensive player. He isnt ever going to be the defensive factor Gobert is but it seems he has become more valuable on that end the past 3-4 years espcially as an individual defender. Could he end up being a guy that could help more on that end as a true center? I am not holding my breath there but there has been some growth on that end maybe some because of playing next to and watching Gobert and some just progression as a guy thats played longer.

With the info I have right now I am picking Gobert. We dont know what either guy will make we can only make guesses so I am taking that oit of rhe equation. With Naz having a player option i dont know what value rhe Wolves could get for him or for Gobert on a 1 year deal. I'm glad we dont have to pick now because it wouldn't be hard to be convinced to what Cool said and pick Naz.
I think the issue is even if KAT continues to improve a bit as a defensive Center, his ceiling isn't that much higher than where he's at now. So then you have to look at the other positions. Can Naz become a plus-level defensive PF if he started next to KAT? And what if Dillingham is the Conley successor as starting PG? Now you are putting even more pressure on your frontline to be excellent at defense.
Good points and to be clear I think Towns becoming that guy at C is unlikely but not impossible. The amount of shooting on the floor if Naz and Dillingham are high level higher volume 3 shooters would be something.
Coolbreeze44

Post by Coolbreeze44 »

I'm really surprised by this. We know Rudy's strengths and weaknesses, but he comes a greater cost - much greater. NAZ was the 6th man of the year and he's still on an upward trajectory - at a much cheaper price tag.
KG4Ever

Post by KG4Ever »

Coolbreeze44 wrote: Tue Aug 06, 2024 7:01 pm I'm really surprised by this. We know Rudy's strengths and weaknesses, but he comes a greater cost - much greater. NAZ was the 6th man of the year and he's still on an upward trajectory - at a much cheaper price tag.
NAZ doesn't impact winning anywhere close to Rudy. Rudy transformed our defense and Naz is still a liability on defense. NAZ was -23 in playoffs and Rudy was a team best +95.
Wolvesfan21

Post by Wolvesfan21 »

Coolbreeze44 wrote: Tue Aug 06, 2024 7:01 pm I'm really surprised by this. We know Rudy's strengths and weaknesses, but he comes a greater cost - much greater. NAZ was the 6th man of the year and he's still on an upward trajectory - at a much cheaper price tag.
Much cheaper? I'm not so sure about that on Naz's next deal. I do think he will be cheaper, but maybe 10 mill per, maybe less, hard to know for sure as I think some teams will view him as a starter on his next prime years deal, including us. I imagine Rudy is about to take a paycut though (due to age) and Naz is going to get another raise (due to his progression), I think that is safe to say.

I do think it is close though as to who I'd keep if we have to choose. Rudy is likely to not repeat DPOY skill over the next several years and Naz certainly has the ability to take steps forward over the next handful. The projection is difficult and the exact money makes it a tough question cause we really don't know.

Can we just keep both? Right now I still lean Rudy but that could change in 10 months.
Monster

Post by Monster »

Wolvesfan21 wrote: Tue Aug 06, 2024 10:06 pm
Much cheaper? I'm not so sure about that on Naz's next deal. I do think he will be cheaper, but maybe 10 mill per, maybe less, hard to know for sure as I think some teams will view him as a starter on his next prime years deal, including us. I imagine Rudy is about to take a paycut though (due to age) and Naz is going to get another raise (due to his progression), I think that is safe to say.

I do think it is close though as to who I'd keep if we have to choose. Rudy is likely to not repeat DPOY skill over the next several years and Naz certainly has the ability to take steps forward over the next handful. The projection is difficult and the exact money makes it a tough question cause we really don't know.

Can we just keep both? Right now I still lean Rudy but that could change in 10 months.
Im a big fan of Naz but there is no guarantee that he gets better and there is a chance he regresses espcialy as a 3 point shooter. Obviously there is also a real chance Gobert drops off as he ages. As for salary if Naz improves this season like many of us hope or expect then he will likelly be seen as a sure starter thats still only 25 years old and one than can get a team buckets in a variety of ways and thats gonna get him paid somewhere...possibly as much as Gobert if he re-signs to a longer term deal.
Wolvesfan21

Post by Wolvesfan21 »

Monster wrote: Wed Aug 07, 2024 7:25 am
Wolvesfan21 wrote: Tue Aug 06, 2024 10:06 pm

Im a big fan of Naz but there is no guarantee that he gets better and there is a chance he regresses espcialy as a 3 point shooter. Obviously there is also a real chance Gobert drops off as he ages. As for salary if Naz improves this season like many of us hope or expect then he will likelly be seen as a sure starter thats still only 25 years old and one than can get a team buckets in a variety of ways and thats gonna get him paid somewhere...possibly as much as Gobert if he re-signs to a longer term deal.
It's possible. I think barring something crazy that Rudy's pay is dropping and Naz's pay is going up. I kind of think Naz could be in that Jaden territory of 25 range per (mid 20's), Rudy feels like 30+ per (low - mid 30's). Is Naz worth more then Jaden? I could see a similar deal but I value Jaden a little higher as an overall player. Naz would need a big leap for me to see him eclipse Jadens contract.