Tick Tick Tick...

Any And All Things T-Wolves Related
thedoper

Re: Tick Tick Tick...

Post by thedoper »

Glen Taylor has just subpoenaed the NBA as part of the arbitration process. The guys singularly cares about himself, and has no reason to have this much ego around this franchise while he was asleep at the wheel for a decade post KG. This will get very ugly.

https://www.sportico.com/law/analysis/2 ... 234797246/
KG4Ever

Post by KG4Ever »

Wolvesfan21 wrote: Mon Sep 09, 2024 3:13 pm We have more depth and likely more top end punch aa well considering guys are coming back after playing together for 1 or many years (Naz/Ant/Kat/Rudy/Jaden). Ant has taken steps every year getting better. KAT and Naz tooks steps up defensively in the playoffs. Now add in potential in Shannon and Rob, with a 3 point sniper in Ingles which we lacked and needed at times. We can go heavy offense or defense when needed and have extra deep depth! Injuries will happen at times, no longer is it that big of a concern. As long as they are short term of course. ***Knocks on wood and crosses fingers***
I'm not sold on the more depth. I thought we had a lot of depth last year, but Finch didn't use it and now we lose SloMo and a reliable third string point guard in JMAC and Monte Morris. We were relatively injury free last year and given the higher usage after having made a deep run, and Conley, Gobert and Ingles being a year older, there is a high probability that we have more injury games for our rotation players. I don't even know if Dillingham is ready to contribute in a positive way. Let's see how things play out.
60WinTim

Post by 60WinTim »

Wolvesfan21

Post by Wolvesfan21 »

KG4Ever wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2024 7:50 am
Wolvesfan21 wrote: Mon Sep 09, 2024 3:13 pm We have more depth and likely more top end punch aa well considering guys are coming back after playing together for 1 or many years (Naz/Ant/Kat/Rudy/Jaden). Ant has taken steps every year getting better. KAT and Naz tooks steps up defensively in the playoffs. Now add in potential in Shannon and Rob, with a 3 point sniper in Ingles which we lacked and needed at times. We can go heavy offense or defense when needed and have extra deep depth! Injuries will happen at times, no longer is it that big of a concern. As long as they are short term of course. ***Knocks on wood and crosses fingers***
I'm not sold on the more depth. I thought we had a lot of depth last year, but Finch didn't use it and now we lose SloMo and a reliable third string point guard in JMAC and Monte Morris. We were relatively injury free last year and given the higher usage after having made a deep run, and Conley, Gobert and Ingles being a year older, there is a high probability that we have more injury games for our rotation players. I don't even know if Dillingham is ready to contribute in a positive way. Let's see how things play out.
Dilly is a bit of a wildcard for sure. He might take a couple years to be a real positive solid NBA player or be rookie of the year. Seems likelier the first option considering his lack of defensive chops and youth. We'll see on him, but his longterm upside is nice to have.

I'm not really worried about JMac and MM leaving. They're fine role guys, but not at all unreplaceable by youth or vet min signings. Ingles was a homerun signing for the vet min if he can stay healthy. His game isn't really about speed and athleticism. It's about knowing how to play, even if he's a half tick slower, he's a guy like Slo Mo who simply knows how to ball.

Shannon looks to also be a hit. He's NBA ready right now to me with his size and overall rounded game. I think he can slot in with Ingles and easily pick up those Slo Mo minutes and then some.

I really like our chances this year. It could get much tougher NEXT year if we have to let one of two go, KAT or Rudy.
KG4Ever

Post by KG4Ever »

Wolvesfan21 wrote: Mon Sep 23, 2024 9:42 am
I thought we had a lot of depth last year, but Finch didn't use it and now we lose SloMo and a reliable third string point guard in JMAC and Monte Morris. We were relatively injury free last year and given the higher usage after having made a deep run, and Conley, Gobert and Ingles being a year older, there is a high probability that we have more injury games for our rotation players. I don't even know if Dillingham is ready to contribute in a positive way. Let's see how things play out.
Dilly is a bit of a wildcard for sure. He might take a couple years to be a real positive solid NBA player or be rookie of the year. Seems likelier the first option considering his lack of defensive chops and youth. We'll see on him, but his longterm upside is nice to have.

I'm not really worried about JMac and MM leaving. They're fine role guys, but not at all unreplaceable by youth or vet min signings. Ingles was a homerun signing for the vet min if he can stay healthy. His game isn't really about speed and athleticism. It's about knowing how to play, even if he's a half tick slower, he's a guy like Slo Mo who simply knows how to ball.

Shannon looks to also be a hit. He's NBA ready right now to me with his size and overall rounded game. I think he can slot in with Ingles and easily pick up those Slo Mo minutes and then some.

I really like our chances this year. It could get much tougher NEXT year if we have to let one of two go, KAT or Rudy.
I liked our depth last year better, but alas Finch didn't use them the way I would have liked. I think TC is pushing Finch to use our rookies, but I'm a bit skeptical that Dilly or TSJ will be positive contributors in year 1. I'd much rather have Slomo, Morris and JMac if the goal is to win now.

I hope we get to see our bench play more just to see what we have in them. I expect both rooks to get meaningful minutes. I also hope we get to see Miller play a lot more. I think he's going to have growing pains, but the ultimate payoff hopefully will be worth it. I honestly don't care too much about the regular season as long as we stay top 6, and stay healthy for the playoffs. We need a healthy Conley heading into the playoffs as I don't trust anyone else to play point and point Ant might be our next best option. Losing MM and JMAC and not signing Tyus, might be costly if Conley has a bad injury. Anyway, I look forward to see if Ant can take another step, have better chemistry with KAT and Jaden can finally be unleashed.
Last edited by KG4Ever on Mon Sep 23, 2024 12:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KG4Ever

Post by KG4Ever »

<< It could get much tougher NEXT year if we have to let one of two go, KAT or Rudy.>>

I don't agree with this premise that we might have to let one of the two go. I want to keep both here as I don't think trading either helps us. We can keep both long term. I expect Rudy will work out a contract that helps the Wolves better manage its salary cap. The cap keeps going up and Ant, Rudy and KAT are the engine that fuels this team.
Wolvesfan21

Post by Wolvesfan21 »

KG4Ever wrote: Mon Sep 23, 2024 12:45 pm << It could get much tougher NEXT year if we have to let one of two go, KAT or Rudy.>>

I don't agree with this premise that we might have to let one of the two go. I want to keep both here as I don't think trading either helps us. We can keep both long term. I expect Rudy will work out a contract that helps the Wolves better manage its salary cap. The cap keeps going up and Ant, Rudy and KAT are the engine that fuels this team.
I should have added or Naz. It'll be real tough I think for the owners to pony up to keep everyone.
KG4Ever

Post by KG4Ever »

Wolvesfan21 wrote: Mon Sep 23, 2024 2:04 pm
KG4Ever wrote: Mon Sep 23, 2024 12:45 pm << It could get much tougher NEXT year if we have to let one of two go, KAT or Rudy.>>

I should have added or Naz. It'll be real tough I think for the owners to pony up to keep everyone.
Yes, Naz could leave at the end of the season. But I'm not trading away KAT or Rudy, just to be able to pay Naz more. Hopefully, we can keep all three, but if Naz is looking for more than we can pay him (without trading away Rudy or KAT), we seriously need to consider trading him by the trading deadline if we can get a good player back. I like Naz, and I know he's young, but his limitations on defense are why, I'm not trading KAT or Rudy to keep him here.
Monster

Post by Monster »

KG4Ever wrote: Mon Sep 23, 2024 12:10 pm
Wolvesfan21 wrote: Mon Sep 23, 2024 9:42 am
I thought we had a lot of depth last year, but Finch didn't use it and now we lose SloMo and a reliable third string point guard in JMAC and Monte Morris. We were relatively injury free last year and given the higher usage after having made a deep run, and Conley, Gobert and Ingles being a year older, there is a high probability that we have more injury games for our rotation players. I don't even know if Dillingham is ready to contribute in a positive way. Let's see how things play out.

I liked our depth last year better, but alas Finch didn't use them the way I would have liked. I think TC is pushing Finch to use our rookies, but I'm a bit skeptical that Dilly or TSJ will be positive contributors in year 1. I'd much rather have Slomo, Morris and JMac if the goal is to win now.

I hope we get to see our bench play more just to see what we have in them. I expect both rooks to get meaningful minutes. I also hope we get to see Miller play a lot more. I think he's going to have growing pains, but the ultimate payoff hopefully will be worth it. I honestly don't care too much about the regular season as long as we stay top 6, and stay healthy for the playoffs. We need a healthy Conley heading into the playoffs as I don't trust anyone else to play point and point Ant might be our next best option. Losing MM and JMAC and not signing Tyus, might be costly if Conley has a bad injury. Anyway, I look forward to see if Ant can take another step, have better chemistry with KAT and Jaden can finally be unleashed.
As a big Mclaughlin fan I don't like bringing up anything negative about him but he had a legit history of injuries the last few season limiting his availability to some extent. There is a real chance if Conley gets hurt Mclaughlin could be hurt at the same time. Mclaughlin tended to take a bit to round into shape after injuries too and he isn't getting younger and is a smaller PG.

I thought it was interesting that Finch brought up Minott in Brit's first installment of his discussion with the coach. In a way that doesn't surprise me based on what I saw in SL. If Minott can defend and bring some energy out there playing multiple positions he might get some run here and there espcilaly if they want to keep Ingles from playing lots of minutes. Finch have a certain affinity at times for playing big and Minott is a pretty lengthy guy. The way the Wolves are set up right now one thing they might be able to use is someone who would rebound the ball at whatever position they would play. I think it's likely Minott would give you something there and he is a guy that projects to get garbage points manufactured out of playing with length athletism and energy. I also get the idea that the Wolves may actually play some younger players minutes this year. To some extent that makes sense. Some of their younger guys should be more like vets at this point.
60WinTim

Post by 60WinTim »

Getting back to the depth question...

The Wolves are returning their top 7 guys in terms of MPG. Our depth after that was:

8. SloMo
9. Shake, replaced by Monte at the deadline
10. JMac
11. TBJ, replaced by Warren shortly after the deadline
12. Minott - 20-year old to start the season
13. Moore - unplayable
14. Miller - 19-year old to start the season
15. Open roster spot that was eventually filled by Garza

I know KG4 wanted Minott and/or Miller to get more playing time, but they are both young 2nd round picks in need of a whole lot of development. It's not surprising that when KAT went down Finch went to a more proven player off the bench to help fill the void, which is when we saw a lot of JMac and Monte sharing the court. Our depth after the top 7 was really only 4 players.

But this year seems quite different. The depth is pretty wide open. Minott and Miller both added a year under their belts, Ingles might still have something left in the tank, and our rookies come with higher expectations than Miller and Minott had last year: Rob has talent that earned him the #8 pick in the draft, and TSJ is older than any of those guys, in addition to his two-way potential. Even Dozier comes with a stronger background than our young guys had last year.

I don't know how the depth pecking order will shake out this year, but unlike last year, an argument can be made that any of these guys, except for Garza, has the potential to crack the rotation. So I would say the depth is better this year than last. And in terms of potential studs, this year's depth has a lot more promise of producing something compared to last year as well.