Randle sucks

Any And All Things T-Wolves Related
60WinTim

Re: Randle sucks

Post by 60WinTim »

Lipoli390 wrote: Sun Sep 29, 2024 5:12 pm
Phenom wrote: Sun Sep 29, 2024 3:28 pm I think this trade signals that Naz is a lock to be resigned, unless maybe Randle shows himself to be an amazing fit this year.
That’s logical. But they’ll have to figure out how to avoid being stuck with Randle’s PO contract in order to sign Naz without staying over the 2nd apron and enduring unacceptable sanctions.
I think a Rudy opt-out/extension starting at 35mil would create the space needed to sign NAZ at 25mil while still keeping Randle and his player option.

I think your "stuck with Randle" perception is a bit premature. Like KAT, he has his positives and negatives. The new environment here could have a positive impact on how he plays. I would give it a chance before condemning it.
Sundog

Post by Sundog »

Randle has long been a favorite of mine! He’s an absolute bucket, and adds a significant amount of toughness to this team. Randle on this team could have been very important in the playoffs last year when the team struggled to score. He has warts as all players do, but I’m looking forward to seeing him play for the Wolves for as long as he’s here. I’m also looking for to the Wolves getting out of the financial strait jacket that Towns’ massive salary combined with the new CBA put them in, as well as seeing DDV suit up for us, another longtime favorite of mine.
KiwiMatt

Post by KiwiMatt »

Sundog wrote: Sun Sep 29, 2024 5:50 pm Randle has long been a favorite of mine! He’s an absolute bucket, and adds a significant amount of toughness to this team. Randle on this team could have been very important in the playoffs last year when the team struggled to score. He has warts as all players do, but I’m looking forward to seeing him play for the Wolves for as long as he’s here. I’m also looking for to the Wolves getting out of the financial strait jacket that Towns’ massive salary combined with the new CBA put them in, as well as seeing DDV suit up for us, another longtime favorite of mine.
Nice to get a positive perspective on Julius Randle.

One things for sure, if healthy Randle should replace the production KAT gave us. Even if only in the short term.
60WinTim

Post by 60WinTim »

Sundog wrote: Sun Sep 29, 2024 5:50 pm Randle has long been a favorite of mine! He’s an absolute bucket, and adds a significant amount of toughness to this team. Randle on this team could have been very important in the playoffs last year when the team struggled to score. He has warts as all players do, but I’m looking forward to seeing him play for the Wolves for as long as he’s here. I’m also looking for to the Wolves getting out of the financial strait jacket that Towns’ massive salary combined with the new CBA put them in, as well as seeing DDV suit up for us, another longtime favorite of mine.
Many, if not most, national guys who analyze the trade lean towards Minnesota coming out ahead, and that the Knicks, while it could work out, have made their bed that their stuck with for quite some time.

My opTIMistic mind tells me this may be Conley's best trade, yet!
worldK

Post by worldK »

The reality is Randle is going to be a wolf for next season. I don’t see a sensible trade for him during the season. If TC does not like the fit of Randle then I dont see him making this trade at all. I see him rolling with Randle for the next season.

I am a big Kat backer and supporter. But the trade is done. We can only hope for the best case here and if Randle can adjust and compliment his game to the team.

Defense will be the key here. Randle can rebound so that is a us. But he averaged 0.3 blocks last season. So we can’t expect any rim protection from him. But is he a capable/mobile/ switchable defender? I dont know much about how his defense is. But base on his game on offense, if he can be a physical, mobile,and switchable defender, that will be big for us.

Offensively, his passing helps and he can create his own shot but he needs to be better off the ball and his 3 point shot needs to be closer to league average than in the 30’s.

Towns sacrifice a lot for both Ant and Gobert. Randle needs to adjust too and fit his game around them.
Lipoli390

Post by Lipoli390 »

KiwiMatt wrote: Sun Sep 29, 2024 7:08 pm
Nice to get a positive perspective on Julius Randle.

One things for sure, if healthy Randle should replace the production KAT gave us. Even if only in the short term.
What you don’t know, Matt, is that Sundog is Randle’s agent. So take whatever he writes about Randle with 10 grains of salt.
Q-is-here

Post by Q-is-here »

worldK wrote: Sun Sep 29, 2024 9:08 pm The reality is Randle is going to be a wolf for next season. I don’t see a sensible trade for him during the season. If TC does not like the fit of Randle then I dont see him making this trade at all. I see him rolling with Randle for the next season.

I am a big Kat backer and supporter. But the trade is done. We can only hope for the best case here and if Randle can adjust and compliment his game to the team.

Defense will be the key here. Randle can rebound so that is a us. But he averaged 0.3 blocks last season. So we can’t expect any rim protection from him. But is he a capable/mobile/ switchable defender? I dont know much about how his defense is. But base on his game on offense, if he can be a physical, mobile,and switchable defender, that will be big for us.

Offensively, his passing helps and he can create his own shot but he needs to be better off the ball and his 3 point shot needs to be closer to league average than in the 30’s.

Towns sacrifice a lot for both Ant and Gobert. Randle needs to adjust too and fit his game around them.
I agree World. I was thinking there was another domino to fall with Randle being flipped, but it seems like that would have happened (or been "announced" by Shams) by now. For those of us that don't see Randle as a great fit, we need to get used to the idea of him being here.
Lipoli390

Post by Lipoli390 »

Sundog - Sorry I outed you, but I thought we owned our fellow Wolves bloggers the truth.
Lipoli390

Post by Lipoli390 »

Q-is-here wrote: Sun Sep 29, 2024 9:29 pm
worldK wrote: Sun Sep 29, 2024 9:08 pm The reality is Randle is going to be a wolf for next season. I don’t see a sensible trade for him during the season. If TC does not like the fit of Randle then I dont see him making this trade at all. I see him rolling with Randle for the next season.

I agree World. I was thinking there was another domino to fall with Randle being flipped, but it seems like that would have happened (or been "announced" by Shams) by now. For those of us that don't see Randle as a great fit, we need to get used to the idea of him being here.
Yep, we’ll have to get used to him being here. I suspected that initially and confirmed it when I looked at trade scenarios for 30 minutes. (Too much time on my hands). :)
60WinTim

Post by 60WinTim »

Lipoli390 wrote: Sun Sep 29, 2024 9:29 pm Sundog - Sorry I outed you, but I thought we owned our fellow Wolves bloggers the truth.
I agree with everyone concerned that Randle's fit is a huge question mark. Obviously, he can play the 4. The question is how effective will the team be on both ends of the court. But if it is being ineffective, it is good to know the Wolves have options, beginning with Naz in the starting lineup.

But what clearly is flying under radar is DDV. Jonny K wrote this:
If they were going to relent to New York’s wishes by finally giving them Towns, DiVincenzo had to be part of the package, team sources said. They see him fitting in right alongside Edwards in the backcourt and his 3-point shooting will be crucial for a team that just gave up its best outside shooter. DiVincenzo can play point guard when Mike Conley needs a breather and can come off the bench to provide firepower and rugged defense as well.
The roles played by NAW and Shake/JMac/Monte are being mostly replaced by DDV. This should be a huge upgrade that easily outweighs the difference between KAT and Randle. And it reduces the dependency on Rob having to hit the floor running to start the season. He has time to grow and develop under the tutelage of Conley.

The upgrade to our backcourt/bench provided by DDV is huge. Where and how Randle fits in remains to be seen, but given how well the team played when KAT went down last year, the frontcourt should be just fine. And we got a first round pick, too, which likely won't convey this year, but will almost assuredly convey in year two or three as Detroit improves and competes for a play-in spot.

Whether Randle sucks or not, this is a good trade.