Time to talk offseason.

Any And All Things T-Wolves Related
FNG

Re: Time to talk offseason.

Post by FNG »

kekgeek wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2024 2:55 pm All from Doogie so take with a grain of salt.

Jmac will not be back, little interest from either side to get a deal done (Dane has also mentioned this)

Garza is acting like he will be back with the wolves, of course a team could blow him away but Garza likes it here and he is working out at the wolves training facility every day.

There is mutual interest for Slow Mo to be back. But slow mo would make closer to 5 million here and could get close to 10 million on the open market.

Connelly wants Morris back.

Lore/Arod have leaked that Glen might not want to pay the lux tax (this I do not believe). Makes no sense why Conley, Connelly and Finch would ask extend if series cost cutting moves are happening
All that makes sense to me. Sounds like we will keep Morris as the backup PG and let the other 2 go. Would not have been my choice, but again,I trust that finchie knows his players better than I do.

Kind of ugly that both sides in the ownership battle are leaking info that the other side wants to cut payroll. I don’t believe either side.
60WinTim

Post by 60WinTim »

I don’t know, FNG. If we don’t wind up with a PG in the draft, and JMac is not seeing much demand on the open market, I could see him back in a Wolves uniform.

But a playmaking guard tonight would likely end that scenario…
Monster

Post by Monster »

60WinTim wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2024 3:45 pm I don’t know, FNG. If we don’t wind up with a PG in the draft, and JMac is not seeing much demand on the open market, I could see him back in a Wolves uniform.

But a playmaking guard tonight would likely end that scenario…
I would guess the Wolves are open to brining McLaughlin back but for the vet min and likely behind at least one other bench PG likely Morris. At this point he is a vet player with no upside.

For McLaughlin it's unlikely he will have any kind of regular role unless there are at least a couple injuries and yes the Wolves may bring in another guy to compete for minutes. Meanwhile with his play last year he might have earned more than a vet min somewhere or if he has to take a cheap deal it could be with a team with a legit path to being a rotation player. That could be with a bad team or it could even be with a playoff team. He arguably played better than Morris and yet Morris was the guy understandably got some minutes in the playoffs.

So unless something changes for the Wolves and or McLaughlin gets no offers yeah it makes sense if they part ways which sucks as McLaughlin is honestly one of my favorite players and I bet the Wolves actually hate seeing him go too. One of the issues is if the Wolves retain Morris while he is a little bigger than Conley and McLaughlin still that's 3 smaller guys from a team that has clearly valued positional size.
FNG

Post by FNG »

FNG wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2024 2:05 pm Interesting rumor stuff about KAT on a podcast I just listened to. They said a reliable source East Coast GM said he believed there was nearly a 100% chance KAT would be moved this summer, and that the Knicks were the most likely destination. One thing they mentioned that I didn't know about as to why KAT might be interested in going to NY is that his dad (who attends almost every home Wolves game) was just named the head basketball coach at KAT's NJ high school. He may want to move to a town where his dad could continue to watch him on his off nights.

There's no deal they could envision that would involve a straight trade between the Knicks and the Wolves, so they said at least a third team would have to be involved. I'm not a fan of moving KAT (unless of course we got back something that makes us better, and I see that as unlikely), but the news about his dad and the strong prediction from the GM makes me wonder.
I found this interesting when I heard this rumor back in June...way back then a GM was saying there was almost a 100% chance KAT would be moved to the Knicks! So it sounds like this has been in the works for a long time. If I had to guess what got TC to pull the trigger, I think it might be when the Knicks gave in on including Donte in the deal. The Wolves wanted him in free agency last year, but he went to NY instead. Losing KAT is a big deal, but I gotta think this was as good a deal as we were going to get for him.
Q-is-here

Post by Q-is-here »

FNG wrote: Mon Sep 30, 2024 11:28 pm
FNG wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2024 2:05 pm Interesting rumor stuff about KAT on a podcast I just listened to. They said a reliable source East Coast GM said he believed there was nearly a 100% chance KAT would be moved this summer, and that the Knicks were the most likely destination. One thing they mentioned that I didn't know about as to why KAT might be interested in going to NY is that his dad (who attends almost every home Wolves game) was just named the head basketball coach at KAT's NJ high school. He may want to move to a town where his dad could continue to watch him on his off nights.

There's no deal they could envision that would involve a straight trade between the Knicks and the Wolves, so they said at least a third team would have to be involved. I'm not a fan of moving KAT (unless of course we got back something that makes us better, and I see that as unlikely), but the news about his dad and the strong prediction from the GM makes me wonder.
I found this interesting when I heard this rumor back in June...way back then a GM was saying there was almost a 100% chance KAT would be moved to the Knicks! So it sounds like this has been in the works for a long time. If I had to guess what got TC to pull the trigger, I think it might be when the Knicks gave in on including Donte in the deal. The Wolves wanted him in free agency last year, but he went to NY instead. Losing KAT is a big deal, but I gotta think this was as good a deal as we were going to get for him.
I think you're right. It was just odd timing since it happened so close to training camp and well after these types of mega-deals usually happen in the NBA calendar. The Knicks must have finally relented on including DDV.
FNG

Post by FNG »

Q-is-here wrote: Tue Oct 01, 2024 8:47 am
FNG wrote: Mon Sep 30, 2024 11:28 pm

I think you're right. It was just odd timing since it happened so close to training camp and well after these types of mega-deals usually happen in the NBA calendar. The Knicks must have finally relented on including DDV.
Q, Kek provides some more detail in another thread that supports some of this hypothesis. He says the original offer was Randle and Robinson...no thanks. They then sweetened the deal by adding Donte, and TC still held out. He finally agreed to give up KAT when the Knicks added the pick. Nice job of negotiating by TC.