Spring Training 2017

A place for Twinscentric Discussion
longstrangetrip [enjin:6600564]

Re: Spring Training 2017

Post by longstrangetrip [enjin:6600564] »

An update on my favorite pitching prospect...Stephan Gonsalves. Three hitless innings for him so far this spring.

http://www.1500espn.com/twins-2/2017/03/notebook-stephen-gonsalves-spin-rate-justin-haley-role/

Gonsalves was one of Terry Ryan's best moves. As a junior, he was considered the top HS pitching prospect in the country. But then on a pre-season baseball trip his senior year, he violated his school's honor code by not turning in his roommate for smoking pot and was suspended for his entire senior year. He fell off the radar screen for many scouts, but not the Twins, who stole him in the 4th round of the 2013 draft. Since then he has been spectacular at every level for the Twins, finishing up last season at AA with an 8-1 record and a 1.82 ERA:

http://www.milb.com/player/index.jsp?player_id=624427#/career/R/pitching/2017/ALL

This guy is the real deal, and I expect him and Berrios to anchor the top of the rotation for many years as a great righty/lefty combo. I look for him to be starting in the bigs before his 23rd birthday in July.
bleedspeed177 [enjin:6603232]

Post by bleedspeed177 [enjin:6603232] »

LST - Good news. We need an ACE on this team.
Monster

Post by Monster »

bleedspeed177 wrote:Not current Twins news, but former Twin Alex Meyer. How bad would it be if the Halos unclock
Meyer's potential?

http://www.1500espn.com/twins-2/2017/03/speedier-delivery-former-twins-prospect-alex-meyer-make-angels-rotation/

From what I read last year it seemed like it was time for Meyer to move on. Not that he was a bad guy it just didn't seem like it was gonna work out with the Twins. Was that on the Twins for not making him successful? Idk I'm not going to lose much sleep over it since there are new decision makers now.

Park coming around?

http://www.startribune.com/byungho-park-continues-to-impress-twins/416393324/

I would lover to see him become a factor. If Park and Sano put it together this year we would have a modern day pair of bash brothers.
Monster

Post by Monster »

bleedspeed177 wrote:Park coming around?

http://www.startribune.com/byungho-park-continues-to-impress-twins/416393324/

I would lover to see him become a factor. If Park and Sano put it together this year we would have a modern day pair of bash brothers.

I saw that also. What Park has going for him is what I have understood is he actually is worthwhile defensively as a 1b not just a guy you have to put over there. I'd like to see Vargas be the guy but it feels like he is a bit of a tease though with not really all that exciting production. He is 26 and Park is 30. How big of a gap is that really when it comes to potential? I'm not sure at this point.
JasonIsDaMan [enjin:7981157]

Post by JasonIsDaMan [enjin:7981157] »

monsterpile wrote:
bleedspeed177 wrote:Not current Twins news, but former Twin Alex Meyer. How bad would it be if the Halos unclock
Meyer's potential?

http://www.1500espn.com/twins-2/2017/03/speedier-delivery-former-twins-prospect-alex-meyer-make-angels-rotation/

From what I read last year it seemed like it was time for Meyer to move on. Not that he was a bad guy it just didn't seem like it was gonna work out with the Twins. Was that on the Twins for not making him successful? Idk I'm not going to lose much sleep over it since there are new decision makers now.

If you live in a community that doesn't hire city employees to pick up garbage, you have to pay a fee to get a private company to do it (Browning Ferriss, etc). Well, until Meyer does in during the season, he's the fee the Twins paid to get their Nolasco removed.

JasonIsDaMan wrote:

If you live in a community that doesn't hire city employees to pick up garbage, you have to pay a fee to get a private company to do it (Browning Ferriss, etc). Well, until Meyer does in during the season, he's the fee the Twins paid to get their Nolasco removed.

Good point. I still hope the best for Meyer, I would be happy for him to turn it around.
Monster

Post by Monster »

bleedspeed177 wrote:
JasonIsDaMan wrote:

Good point. I still hope the best for Meyer, I would be happy for him to turn it around.

I'd agree Meyer was part of the fee. The Twins did get Santiago back in that deal. The Twins weren't dying to get rid of Meyer but they were pretty happy to unload Nolosco. We will see how it turns out.
JasonIsDaMan [enjin:7981157]

Post by JasonIsDaMan [enjin:7981157] »

monsterpile wrote:
bleedspeed177 wrote:
JasonIsDaMan wrote:

If you live in a community that doesn't hire city employees to pick up garbage, you have to pay a fee to get a private company to do it (Browning Ferriss, etc). Well, until Meyer does it during the season, he's the fee the Twins paid to get their Nolasco removed.

I'd agree Meyer was part of the fee. The Twins did get Santiago back in that deal. The Twins weren't dying to get rid of Meyer but they were pretty happy to unload Nolosco. We will see how it turns out.

I want to clear up the Nolasco/trash thing.

It is clear to me that when ink dried on his Twins deal that he stopped caring, and when he scheduled a vacation for the Tues. after the end of the 2015 season, that was it for me. I know he was on the D/L, but seriously, they finished, what, 3 games out of the wildcard? Who does that?

But comparing him to something Browning Ferriss might haul away was over the line.
Monster

Post by Monster »

JasonIsDaMan wrote:
monsterpile wrote:
bleedspeed177 wrote:
JasonIsDaMan wrote:

If you live in a community that doesn't hire city employees to pick up garbage, you have to pay a fee to get a private company to do it (Browning Ferriss, etc). Well, until Meyer does it during the season, he's the fee the Twins paid to get their Nolasco removed.

I want to clear up the Nolasco/trash thing.

It is clear to me that when ink dried on his Twins deal that he stopped caring, and when he scheduled a vacation for the Tues. after the end of the 2015 season, that was it for me. I know he was on the D/L, but seriously, they finished, what, 3 games out of the wildcard? Who does that?

But comparing him to something Browning Ferriss might haul away was over the line.

My brother watches most of the Twins games online and his comments multiple time was he thought it seemed like guys didn't play well behind Nolosco....well you know even worse than they normally would. Lol. My brother typically gives guys the benefit of the doubt so for him to say that was plenty interesting.