Week 11: Bronco's

One Stop Spot For All Vikings Related News
bleedspeed177 [enjin:6603232]

Re: Week 11: Bronco's

Post by bleedspeed177 [enjin:6603232] »

Is there someone else out there that Zim feels would be a good addition in free agent market? Not a big name but someone he feels they can coach up?
Monster

Post by Monster »

bleedspeed177 wrote:Is there someone else out there that Zim feels would be a good addition in free agent market? Not a big name but someone he feels they can coach up?

I bet they could re-sign Sendejo cheap...lol
bleedspeed177 [enjin:6603232]

Post by bleedspeed177 [enjin:6603232] »

monsterpile wrote:
bleedspeed177 wrote:Is there someone else out there that Zim feels would be a good addition in free agent market? Not a big name but someone he feels they can coach up?

Can he okay corner?
Monster

Post by Monster »

bleedspeed177 wrote:
monsterpile wrote:

Can he okay corner?

Lol

The thing is it seems like it takes a while for DBs to learn Zimmer's system and the techniques they teach. I'd guess they are more likely to bring up or bring back guys they have already coached up. What about bringing back Craig James as a cheap young FA who now has a bit of experience? Mark Fields and Nate Meadors are on the PS and Kris Boyd is a guy that's intriguing. Interestingly they don't have a safety on the PS and Smith is the only Safety signed for next season. Kearse's price tag might not be high after his issue but he might also be suspended. One last interesting thing about the PS is they have 3 WRs.

Edit: 1 olineman on the PS
khans2k5 [enjin:6608728]

Post by khans2k5 [enjin:6608728] »

All of Rhodes, Waynes and Hughes are rated wildly mediocre on PFF with Rhodes being the worst. That's real troubling given the amount of resources this team has poured into that position. I would have liked to see them make a splash move to get a Ramsey to address it long term because right now I don't know how you bring back Rhodes and Waynes and Hughes hasn't proven enough yet to just consider him a lock as a solid corner. So what I'm trying to say is get ready for another early pick on a corner lol.
Monster

Post by Monster »

khans2k5 wrote:All of Rhodes, Waynes and Hughes are rated wildly mediocre on PFF with Rhodes being the worst. That's real troubling given the amount of resources this team has poured into that position. I would have liked to see them make a splash move to get a Ramsey to address it long term because right now I don't know how you bring back Rhodes and Waynes and Hughes hasn't proven enough yet to just consider him a lock as a solid corner. So what I'm trying to say is get ready for another early pick on a corner lol.

FWIW Ramsey is rated basically in that same area as the Vikings guys. I've found myself feeling more and more skeptical of the PFF rankings in general. Not dismissive of them but more skeptical and I've Personally used them as justification for my takes plenty of times.

I'm with you in thinking about the resources they have used. It feels like last year they finally found a guy in Hill they developed that wasn't a top pick. They did really well with the safeties and that was with letting Kurt Coleman go Zimmer's first season. Lol

I was thinking about Waynes as a first round pick. Obviously he isn't a failure like Treadwell but was it a good use of an asset? Let's say he leaves and gets paid and they get a 4th round comp pick for him. They would have had him as a productive player for most of the time he was here and until this season he was relatively cheap and get some draft compensation. Looking back at that 1st round there are players I would rather have but I'm not sure there was an obvious pick that would have been better. Remember all the hype about pairing Devonte Parker with Teddy? We would have had the Treadwell type disaster a year earlier...although Parker is better than Treadwell he would have been picked higher too. The more I look into it the more I'm actually feeling better about the pick. I'm curious what other people think.
khans2k5 [enjin:6608728]

Post by khans2k5 [enjin:6608728] »

I thought Waynes was a luxury pick at the time, but looking back on the draft I didn't have any strong opinions on guys taken after him. I don't think we would have taken a WR with Patterson still being a relatively fresh draft pick. Hindsight says we probably should have started the O Line rebuild then and drafted Peat with guys like Berger starting to sign 1 year deals every season and Charlie Johnson on the tail end of his career. I don't think Waynes was a bad pick, but using that high of a pick on a decent but not great player hurts. At this point I'd take him over Rhodes though. I just don't think Rhodes works in this NFL with his physical play style being removed from the league. He's just not fast enough to keep up with these guys and he can't hold them or interfere with them as much as he could back in his best years.
Monster

Post by Monster »

khans2k5 wrote:I thought Waynes was a luxury pick at the time, but looking back on the draft I didn't have any strong opinions on guys taken after him. I don't think we would have taken a WR with Patterson still being a relatively fresh draft pick. Hindsight says we probably should have started the O Line rebuild then and drafted Peat with guys like Berger starting to sign 1 year deals every season and Charlie Johnson on the tail end of his career. I don't think Waynes was a bad pick, but using that high of a pick on a decent but not great player hurts. At this point I'd take him over Rhodes though. I just don't think Rhodes works in this NFL with his physical play style being removed from the league. He's just not fast enough to keep up with these guys and he can't hold them or interfere with them as much as he could back in his best years.

I think you laid it out well.

Let's shudder and go back in time...The Vikings leading receiver the previous years was Greg Jennings with 59 catches for 742 years. It was pretty obvious our WRs sucked. Remember part of the supposed solution was basically getting Mike Wallace instead of Jennings. I think it was pretty obvious we needed some help in that area. It turns out we brought in the solutions Diggs and Thielen but WR was certainly a need then and it was the next year when they took Treadwell.

Another thing to remember was Waynes ran a 4.31 40. That's like fast and stuff and he played at Michigan state so it was a very highly regarded program at the time. The Vikings didn't hit on all their picks but in that draft they had Waynes 1st Kendricks 2nd Hunter 3rd Diggs 5th and brought in Anthony Harris as an undrafted FA. Hell of a group right there.
Wolvesfan21

Post by Wolvesfan21 »

khans2k5 wrote:All of Rhodes, Waynes and Hughes are rated wildly mediocre on PFF with Rhodes being the worst. That's real troubling given the amount of resources this team has poured into that position. I would have liked to see them make a splash move to get a Ramsey to address it long term because right now I don't know how you bring back Rhodes and Waynes and Hughes hasn't proven enough yet to just consider him a lock as a solid corner. So what I'm trying to say is get ready for another early pick on a corner lol.

I think part of it is the Vikings play much more press with less help over the top which asks a lot of your CB's to limit WR's. The DLine isn't getting to the QB's at a high enough rate quickly enough either, putting the CB's in tougher spots more often. Which then leads the defense into being ranked 9th in the league in PPD, not horrible but not where they were a couple to three years ago.

I do think Rhodes is simply not getting it done saying that at his former level. He is likely below avg right now IMO. I think Waynes is above avg with his coverage. Just using my eye test. I think given the opportunity Hughes could be solid, he's more of a ball hawk too compared to Waynes and Rhodes which could be nice to see some potential pick and scores.

I wouldn't mind resigning Waynes, cutting Rhodes and then looking for depth in the draft and FA next season.