Coolbreeze44

Re: 20 years later to the day...Another Game 7. GDT

Post by Coolbreeze44 »

Possibly my favorite meme
SameOldNudityDrew

Post by SameOldNudityDrew »

What an insane series!

We win the first two on the road against the defending champs, including a game 2 blowout. Up 2-0, on the back of our sweep of the Suns, the national media embraces us, with some predicting a sweep . . .

. . . aaaand then the Nuggets roar back, crush us on our home court in game 3, then beat us again at home despite Ant's huge night, and finally go back to Denver and Jokic dominates us to put us on the brink of elimination, 3-2. It's a sea change. All those ideas that the Wolves could win the series or even be a contender for the finals now seems laughable, the obituaries for Denver get torn up. Everybody figures a Denver series win is all but inevitable . . .

. . . . aaaand then we go to game 6 and utterly annihilate them in one of the biggest blowouts in recent playoff memory, and everybody's gotta change their feelings again. Could the Wolves actually win game 7 in Denver? Who knows? Nobody knows what the hell to think going in to game 7. Nobody wants to make a prediction.

In the first half of game 7, Denver gradually imposes itself on us. We're down 15 at the half but it feels like more. Ant's playing terrible. Our offense looks terrible. It feels like the momentum has completely swung back to Denver. Denver comes out, drops 5 quick points in the second half and a Denver win feels like a near certainty . . .

. . . . buuuuut that was actually the turning point and our for the rest of the half our defense locks them down completely and we generate enough offense, including off of turnovers to come all the way back from 20 and take the game. I've said before we should never lose hope despite a deficit, because we're easily capable of outscoring teams by 15 points a quarter with good D, but it was still kind of a shock to see it happen in that moment. It was basically desperation. The only thing that could save our season, and we did it.

Finch made a point in his presser afterward about how the game was a microcosm of the series, and it's a good point. This game, like this series, was about as much of a rollercoaster as I can remember. Just nuts!
ItsJustSoSab

Post by ItsJustSoSab »

20 points down...we've waited so long for MN franchises to have clutch games in big moments. It's surreal to watch it happen in real time!
AbeVigodaLive

Post by AbeVigodaLive »

The "DVR" Review:

- Resiliency. Championship-level teams are resilient. This Wolves team is incredibly resilient.

- Karl Anthony Towns is gonna finally get some love. He repeatedly has done what other star players would absolutely not do. All the while, he gets ripped for being corny, his high-pitched voice, being a stat padder, struggling in the playoffs, not playing defense, being out of control, being dumb, etc.

Very good defense. Very good offense. He's guarded Kevin Durant and Nikola Jokic in back-to-back series. And the team is 8 - 3. Good for him.

- Rudy Gobert is gonna finally get some love. Not many NBA players get as much irrational hate as this guy (ahem... see above). But he had some big plays down the stretch, hit free throws and changed the culture of this team.

Good for him.

- Mike Conley got over the proverbial hump, too. He wanted it bad... and was too amped in that first half. The shot at 72-72 was not a great shot... but it was a GREAT shot.

- 94 games... Denver scored under 100 only 11 times. Minnesota did it to them 5 times in 11 games. Tim Connelly is getting a very hefty raise.

- Two Denver players combined for 69 points. Nobody else scored more than 7. Minnesota had 6 guys in double figures. They're just the better team.

- When Minnesota is on its game defensively... the close-outs and rotations are spectacular. Most of us have mentioned in various gameday threads this season that we rewatched defensive possessions. First time ever! Who knew defense was fun... and wins championships!

- WCF is cool. But this team is special. And that means they're only halfway to the goal. The Minnesota Timberwolves could actually win the NBA title. Wow.

Wow.
Volans19

Post by Volans19 »

We all deserve this. Until Wednesday night rolls around revel in this moment. So much bad basketball, so many roster knit picks, so many coaching changes... This night makes it all worth it. Just unreal
Lipoli390

Post by Lipoli390 »

Coolbreeze44 wrote: Sun May 19, 2024 10:32 pm Congrats On-Line family!! I'm still sitting here trying to process this. On the one hand I'm ecstatic we get at least another couple weeks of high intensity playoff ball. On the other I'm not really sure what i just watched. Going to stay up and watch the whole thing again. This is for the die-hard Wolves fans that you all are. So happy for all of you.
This has been a long time coming for so many of us, Cool. I’m happy for all of us - grizzled vets and newcomers - who’ve been waiting for this moment. Here we are on KG’s birthday, coming back from 20 points down exactly 20 years after KG led us to our last game 7 win for our only prior trip to the Western Conference finals in franchise history. There’s magic in the air. I’m still floating among the clouds. Like you, I’m tempted to watch the game again tonight since I can’t sleep. But I’m going to save my DVD re-watch until tomorrow.

Let’s all savor the moment. This is a terrific team and it’s been an incredibly fun season. But we’re not done yet. We’ve come this far. Let’s keep the magic going against Dallas and beyond.
SameOldNudityDrew

Here's the Dunc'd On Podcast breakdown of game 7.

These guys go through everything with a fine-toothed comb.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1tkxzS-AGik
Leado01

Post by Leado01 »

I'm buying at Kirins on Parade day.
1965-2023
"He Meant Well"
Phenom

Post by Phenom »

Man Aaron Gordon had 4 pts 4 reb. Other than a dunk after Jokic was allowed to plow over Rudy, he was invisible.
SameOldNudityDrew

These Denver podcasters sound like they're about to cry.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4UJGP7zPZnQ

I kinda love it.

Does this make me a bad person? Nothing against Denver. I like the city, the team, the fans, it's nothing personal. But I take pleasure in seeing the Wolves cause other teams' fanbases to despair, maybe because, as a Wolves fan, I know despair well.